BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
Wasa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 E60 M5 F82 M4 F85 X5M

Valve cover gasket replacement

I’m going to have dealer to do valve cover gasket replacement on my x5 3.5xi and just wondering if there’s any preventative parts that I should do it at same time as they going to take apart los stuff.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #2
phipark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 Montego Blue

depending on mileage, could be worth it to replace the actual valve cover
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
Wasa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipark View Post
depending on mileage, could be worth it to replace the actual valve cover
Currently at 85k miles
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 09:47 PM   #4
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Why would you pay dealer prices for anything out of warranty?

11-23-2021, 10:12 PM   #5
Wasa
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=ooshnoo;28288247]Why would you pay dealer prices for anything out of warranty

I got quoted the same price thru Indy shop(they do have lower hourly rate but charged more hours for the same work) so I decided go with dealer as they cover their work with 2 yearswarranty
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:29 AM   #6
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Goodness. Don't waste your time & money on just the gasket. Replace the entire cover!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 11:25 AM   #7
crabapple555
Private
Rep
Drives: A6 & F15

Just got back from dealer after an oil change and they are recommending "Replace valve cover gasket (Found engine oil seep)"

The cost is $1525.00 for 2015 X5 sdrive 3.5i @76k miles

Anyone recently get this done? (time to test the carchex extended warranty and see how they run me around)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 01:48 PM   #8
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

[QUOTE=Wasa;28288324]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Why would you pay dealer prices for anything out of warranty

I got quoted the same price thru Indy shop(they do have lower hourly rate but charged more hours for the same work) so I decided go with dealer as they cover their work with 2 yearswarranty
They may cover the work for 2 years but imagine how many other stuff they messed on purpose so you have to come back to them to fix. Once out of warranty the dealer is not trustable. Also 2 years is not much if you got parts from FCP it would be lifetime warranty. Dealers slowly and surely set your car up to return there sooner or later.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 05:56 PM   #9
Hop74
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

I might be in the same boat. Noticed smoke coming from the engine bay when stopped and a burning smell. Im at 99k and was going to just replace the gasket. But from my research on here, sounds like i should be doing the whole valvue cover....

I haven't looked yet but will research where to buy parts online tomorrow. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:17 PM   #10
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop74 View Post
I haven't looked yet but will research where to buy parts online tomorrow. Any suggestions?
Purchase the Genuine OE BMW part.

It may save you the headache of re-doing the same job in short order.
Appreciate 1
Hop7464.50
      02-07-2023, 12:47 PM   #11
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Replacing the whole cover is not necessary. And will save you 500
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 12:49 PM   #12
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple555 View Post
Just got back from dealer after an oil change and they are recommending "Replace valve cover gasket (Found engine oil seep)"

The cost is $1525.00 for 2015 X5 sdrive 3.5i @76k miles

Anyone recently get this done? (time to test the carchex extended warranty and see how they run me around)
You can buy the seals for maybe 40 to 50. That shows you how much the dealer makes.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 10:37 AM   #13
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Valvecover Gasket is an easy gig to do, all of you who are looking to do this should look it up on youtube and try to DIY. Compare to spending over $1000 with any mechanic services, cost of tools alone won't even come close to that charge, let alone the gasketry itself is only in the 50-80 bucks range depending on how close to genuine OEM you're buying the gasket. I can get mine done all within just 1-1.5 hours. If you're out here in Houston, PM me, maybe I can help. I Got 3 BMW's at home and do my own weekend garage work. Friends and families all come to me for their BMW work.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 11:40 AM   #14
imr3n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
Valvecover Gasket is an easy gig to do, all of you who are looking to do this should look it up on youtube and try to DIY. Compare to spending over $1000 with any mechanic services, cost of tools alone won't even come close to that charge, let alone the gasketry itself is only in the 50-80 bucks range depending on how close to genuine OEM you're buying the gasket. I can get mine done all within just 1-1.5 hours. If you're out here in Houston, PM me, maybe I can help. I Got 3 BMW's at home and do my own weekend garage work. Friends and families all come to me for their BMW work.
Damn! man I wish I was closer to Houston. Super interested into getting into doing stuff on the engine, but I freak out thinking if I mess up, the mechanics here in the Bay Area will charge an arm and leg to fix things.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 12:28 PM   #15
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imr3n View Post
Damn! man I wish I was closer to Houston. Super interested into getting into doing stuff on the engine, but I freak out thinking if I mess up, the mechanics here in the Bay Area will charge an arm and leg to fix things.
I started tinkering with cars during the early 2000's when I was in college because I had to support myself through it; so Nissans were the car of choice in my younger days and getting some wrenching done was quite the usual for those.

But in recent 10 years I've gotten the chance to drive Mini and BMW's, I noticed a whole lot more number of common issues about them, that's when I also started wrench on these on my own because of what the shops out there will charge to fix things. Luckily, Youtube has been around and has lots of videos showing exactly how to do things. On jobs that I haven't done before, I would find videos on Youtube and watch it over and over again until everything because muscle memory for me, then I do the job pretty much flawlessly.

My advice to you is to do your research and get tinkering, trust me, each task you complete becomes the foundation of confidence for the next bigger job you may encounter. Just FYI, for the X535i, mine's got high mileage, I simply took the motor out and took it apart only to re-build it with new internals going back in. That took 20 years of tinkering to have the gonads to take on a project like this. And the learning process is very rewarding because at the end of the day when I take the car on the road, I get gratification knowing that I did it and it'll be problem free, plus the fact that I achieved this level of mechanical inclination. You can obtain the same if you reach your first step out; other steps will follow and that's how you learn to walk. Anyways, I ramble so let me digress. Good luck buddy and happy motoring.
Appreciate 1
imr3n41.00
      02-08-2023, 03:35 PM   #16
imr3n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
I started tinkering with cars during the early 2000's when I was in college because I had to support myself through it; so Nissans were the car of choice in my younger days and getting some wrenching done was quite the usual for those.

But in recent 10 years I've gotten the chance to drive Mini and BMW's, I noticed a whole lot more number of common issues about them, that's when I also started wrench on these on my own because of what the shops out there will charge to fix things. Luckily, Youtube has been around and has lots of videos showing exactly how to do things. On jobs that I haven't done before, I would find videos on Youtube and watch it over and over again until everything because muscle memory for me, then I do the job pretty much flawlessly.

My advice to you is to do your research and get tinkering, trust me, each task you complete becomes the foundation of confidence for the next bigger job you may encounter. Just FYI, for the X535i, mine's got high mileage, I simply took the motor out and took it apart only to re-build it with new internals going back in. That took 20 years of tinkering to have the gonads to take on a project like this. And the learning process is very rewarding because at the end of the day when I take the car on the road, I get gratification knowing that I did it and it'll be problem free, plus the fact that I achieved this level of mechanical inclination. You can obtain the same if you reach your first step out; other steps will follow and that's how you learn to walk. Anyways, I ramble so let me digress. Good luck buddy and happy motoring.
You are absolutely right buddy! start with small steps, and it gradually builds up your skills and confidence to do bigger things. Youtube has been super useful for me. I watched how to replace the HU to an android 12.3 inch screen at least 8 times, and when I had to actually install it, I did it without watching the videos using the muscle memory I had developed, granted it took me a lot longer than the Youtube videos suggests (2 hours instead of 20 mins: some of the cables were a PITA to remove). Did the same thing to replace my BMW battery after the stealership quoted me $550 to change the battery!

I had to pay about $1000 soon after getting the car to have the Oil Filter Housing gaskets replaced! But I learned my lesson, it's time to start learning and doing things yourself. I guess this is also an advantage of getting a used car, you don't feel scared messing with it because its not a "new" car...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 02:52 AM   #17
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 07:41 AM   #18
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
Replacing the whole cover is not necessary. And will save you 500
Bad advice unless you are selling the car immediately.

The valve cover is a complexity incorporating the Positive Crankcase ventilation system. This wears out, with sealing components becoming brittle, broken & worn just as the "seal" does that is being suggested as the only thing needing replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 12:46 PM   #19
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat_F15_STL View Post
Bad advice unless you are selling the car immediately.

The valve cover is a complexity incorporating the Positive Crankcase ventilation system. This wears out, with sealing components becoming brittle, broken & worn just as the "seal" does that is being suggested as the only thing needing replacement.
Totally agree with you. I pretty much replace the gasket at 25k mile mark, then replace the whole valvecover (which comes with the gasket set) at 50k mile mark on the N55 motors. Mine's tuned and has a lot of mods, and the PCV diaphragm is prone to embrittlement and failure, and when it fails, you can't even see it. But at its worst condition, you'll start to hear whistling noises at engine idle; so that's the taletell. Anyway, doing it my way prevents dealing with any issues with the valvecover or oil leak from it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 09:59 PM   #20
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep

Although you have to cut it off, the pcv valve can be replaced if needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 11:16 PM   #21
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
Although you have to cut it off, the pcv valve can be replaced if needed.
There's more to it inside than that cover you are cutting off.

Replace the entire cover with genuine.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:41 AM   #22
jfandl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 5.0 (F15) - BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop74 View Post
I might be in the same boat. Noticed smoke coming from the engine bay when stopped and a burning smell. Im at 99k and was going to just replace the gasket. But from my research on here, sounds like i should be doing the whole valvue cover....

Don't underestimate the likely leak of the Air pump o-ring. On the 4.4L engine, it's located in passenger rear of engine and tends to leak down and burn off the downpipes causing smoke, especially off the right side of the car when slowing to a stop. Replacing my o-ring solved the issue as it's a common o-ring to wear out. All 3 of my past BMW's leaked at this o-ring. It's a pretty easy job and can all be done from the top of the engine. I think it took about an hour or less.
Appreciate 1
Hop7464.50