BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #89
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
If it's a constant vibration at speed, I'd be checking the tire balance. Wheels need to be dynamically balanced and not static. Especially with wider tires. Ask your shop how they balance.
I will do that. It's my local discount tire so not sure of their technic to balance. I will say I have a feeling they hurried through the balance procedure. One of the back tires was filled to 47 psi while the other was filled to 40 psi. Door pillar calls for 44 psi for rears. I'd imagine that fluctuation in psi wouldn't doing the balancing any favors.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 05:42 PM   #90
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
I will do that. It's my local discount tire so not sure of their technic to balance. I will say I have a feeling they hurried through the balance procedure. One of the back tires was filled to 47 psi while the other was filled to 40 psi. Door pillar calls for 44 psi for rears. I'd imagine that fluctuation in psi wouldn't doing the balancing any favors.
Discount tire techs are in a hurry 100% of the time. Worked there for a short time and a buddy worked there for years. They do a decent job for a volume shop, but if you have nice wheels that you care about, find someplace else. The torque sticks they use leave marks on the insides of the lug holes that don't come off. Or at least I haven't found a way to get them off.

That said... I bought some new rubber for the 35d there and will have them put on this coming week after the tires get there. The wife's wheels are scuffed already and it's the kid mobile so I don't mind their lack of care on this car. So long as they balance it properly... which I've never had an issue with them doing. *crosses fingers*
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2021, 05:47 PM   #91
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Discount tire techs are in a hurry 100% of the time. Worked there for a short time and a buddy worked there for years. They do a decent job for a volume shop, but if you have nice wheels that you care about, find someplace else. The torque sticks they use leave marks on the insides of the lug holes that don't come off. Or at least I haven't found a way to get them off.

That said... I bought some new rubber for the 35d there and will have them put on this coming week after the tires get there. The wife's wheels are scuffed already and it's the kid mobile so I don't mind their lack of care on this car. So long as they balance it properly... which I've never had an issue with them doing. *crosses fingers*
That's what I figured. I'm anal about my wheels and so far they've treated them well. I expect to find scuffs after every tire install, but none to date. This is the 2nd set of tires I've bought there. They have incredible prices. Do you know if they dynamic balance or static?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 08:05 PM   #92
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's what I figured. I'm anal about my wheels and so far they've treated them well. I expect to find scuffs after every tire install, but none to date. This is the 2nd set of tires I've bought there. They have incredible prices. Do you know if they dynamic balance or static?
They will do a regular balance if you don't say anything. But they are capable of road force balancing. I am unsure if they charge anything extra. According to their website it takes an additional 20 minutes for a tech to do.

I've never had to ask for anything special though to get good results. So far...
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2021, 06:16 AM   #93
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
Just adding some input here. The car has gone through a couple sets of wheel/tire combos under my ownership so I'm having the tcase fluid done with a calibration on Tuesday to rule that out and give it a 'reset'. Will report back to see if symptoms disappear.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #94
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
They will do a regular balance if you don't say anything. But they are capable of road force balancing. I am unsure if they charge anything extra. According to their website it takes an additional 20 minutes for a tech to do.

I've never had to ask for anything special though to get good results. So far...
Good looking out. I'll call and ask the manager. They kind of owe me as my last set of tires took 2 weeks to get in and communication was very poor. Before then I've always had a great experience with them. Plus between the wife and I I've spent $2K in there the past month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
Just adding some input here. The car has gone through a couple sets of wheel/tire combos under my ownership so I'm having the tcase fluid done with a calibration on Tuesday to rule that out and give it a 'reset'. Will report back to see if symptoms disappear.
This is exactly what I've been looking into as well. Seems as though the TC will "retard" itself with improper or worn tires. I too plan on doing the TC fluid and recalibration.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #95
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
Quote:
This is exactly what I've been looking into as well. Seems as though the TC will "retard" itself with improper or worn tires. I too plan on doing the TC fluid and recalibration.
Same, I have all the fluids and stuff here for diffs, Xfer case, oil change, and fuel filter replacement. Just waiting to finish up the crazy stereo I'm doing in my E53 X5 so I can get the wife's F15 into the garage.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 11:48 PM   #96
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Same, I have all the fluids and stuff here for diffs, Xfer case, oil change, and fuel filter replacement. Just waiting to finish up the crazy stereo I'm doing in my E53 X5 so I can get the wife's F15 into the garage.
Adding another data point:

I have not yet done the above services, but I did have 4 new tires (Toyo Proxes STIII) put on the F15 last Saturday. Have a couple of hundred miles on it since then and have not had any of the tugging/misfire feeling. Seems these Xdrives are very sensitive to differences in tire wear. Had quite a few miles on the Continentals we took off (40k+).

Will update if anything changes. Hoping to get all the fluids changed out and TC adaptations reset this weekend. But so far, pretty happy to not have that annoying behavior anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #97
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
Adding my two cents here. Had the tcase service done with the calibration and fresh fluid and upon two days of testing, no tugging or jerking to report. Guys who did the service noted that it was good to recalibrate when I upped wheel sizes and mentioned the tires being worn and so on before swapping to new ones.

Happy to report issues have subsided. Was a problem for me even as low as 36k miles.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #98
Lex2BMW
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

#1 Having same issues will look for a shop in maryland to do fluid exchange and recalibration.
#2 But also, has anyone experienced squealing sound when coasting at 1500rpm?
Same squeal occurs at stop sign/light with auto start engaged as the engine cuts off.
At such low RPM when coasting vs auto start engagement, seems to be associated.
This thread confirms TC def is culprit but I wondering if squealing indicates TC needs to be replaced altogether.
#3 during heavy rain after driving thru puddles. I have to stop and reverse to resume normal driving as this loud shutter is felt from TC. The power is not being transfered as normal until i drive in reverse for a few feet then back to drive. Is this normal or another indicator of TC malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 10:22 PM   #99
ahmad1985
SPC
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex2BMW View Post
#1 Having same issues will look for a shop in maryland to do fluid exchange and recalibration.
#2 But also, has anyone experienced squealing sound when coasting at 1500rpm?
Same squeal occurs at stop sign/light with auto start engaged as the engine cuts off.
At such low RPM when coasting vs auto start engagement, seems to be associated.
This thread confirms TC def is culprit but I wondering if squealing indicates TC needs to be replaced altogether.
#3 during heavy rain after driving thru puddles. I have to stop and reverse to resume normal driving as this loud shutter is felt from TC. The power is not being transfered as normal until i drive in reverse for a few feet then back to drive. Is this normal or another indicator of TC malfunction.
The way you are describing its def tc i had same issue. I got a rebuilt tc Let me know if you need one i can point you into a direction where to get one for really good price.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 02:12 AM   #100
Lex2BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad1985 View Post
The way you are describing its def tc i had same issue. I got a rebuilt tc Let me know if you need one i can point you into a direction where to get one for really good price.
Ahmad that would be great. I was debating on having shop in VA BenzEliteAutomotive use my extended warranty, a bit skeptical on lead time on them getting parts along with using CarChex warranty that i'm paying for. Maryland BMW dealers told me they dont honor Carchex saying they been burnt on payment. So i'm stuck using a shop.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 11:11 PM   #101
ahmad1985
SPC
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex2BMW View Post
Ahmad that would be great. I was debating on having shop in VA BenzEliteAutomotive use my extended warranty, a bit skeptical on lead time on them getting parts along with using CarChex warranty that i'm paying for. Maryland BMW dealers told me they dont honor Carchex saying they been burnt on payment. So i'm stuck using a shop.
I mean if you have warranty then you might not need to buys anything take it to a shop see what they say. If they want to get tc and cant find a decent place just shoot me a message and i can tell you where to get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 05:13 AM   #102
Andy_Kay
Rep
Drives: X5

I have the jerking/tugging which seems to be getting worse and glad I found this thread - I was thinking the gearbox was on its way out
I've got a 2016 F15 X5 40e - it happens in both petrol and electric-only mode so I know it wasn't a misfire issue.

Has anyone just done the reset via the ISTA computer without doing an oil change?
I mean I have a helpful garage that could do the oil change but just wondering if it'll solve the issue instantly with just software reset.
Also I'll be changing to Winter tyres (front only) in a couple of months so I guess I'll need to do another reset then.

I thought I'd be able to find Fuse 63 and double check it really was the Transfer Case as a few mentioned above, but seems the fuse box is under the carpet, which is pinned down with lots of trim around the doorframe which isn't very helpful or quick!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 03:17 AM   #103
Andy_Kay
Rep

Update on my post. My neighbour has ISTA+ so attempted the TC Recalibration alone (no oil change).
Unfortunately the juddering is still there, but I'm pretty sure it's not as bad.

I'm wondering how easy it is to get under it and change the TC oil or will I just take it to a garage to sort
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:02 AM   #104
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Kay View Post
Update on my post. My neighbour has ISTA+ so attempted the TC Recalibration alone (no oil change).
Unfortunately the juddering is still there, but I'm pretty sure it's not as bad.

I'm wondering how easy it is to get under it and change the TC oil or will I just take it to a garage to sort
There are DIYs on here regarding that. It's not fun. If you don't have a place to safely work on your X5 on jack stands or a lift, or are not an accomplished DIYer, take it to a garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #105
jg425
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Kay View Post

I went to my local BMW dealership and they told me that I needed new tires. I recently switched from run flats to non run flats and they said that that was the cause of the juddering. I called BS and bought the tools to do the transfer case fluid change. I changed the fluid and haven’t done the recalibration and the x5 has yet to shudder or judder. It literally took me longer to get the x5 up in the air than it took to change the fluid. You just need the right parts. A good pump and a wrench with a 14mm hex nut. If you got to FCP Euro and search for transfer case for an X5, it will list everything you need. Cost me $130 to change everything.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2021, 11:05 AM   #106
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg425 View Post
I went to my local BMW dealership and they told me that I needed new tires. I recently switched from run flats to non run flats and they said that that was the cause of the juddering. I called BS and bought the tools to do the transfer case fluid change. I changed the fluid and haven’t done the recalibration and the x5 has yet to shudder or judder. It literally took me longer to get the x5 up in the air than it took to change the fluid. You just need the right parts. A good pump and a wrench with a 14mm hex nut. If you got to FCP Euro and search for transfer case for an X5, it will list everything you need. Cost me $130 to change everything.
Yep. Good for you. BMW dealerships (honestly most dealerships, had same experience with Lexus, Nissan, and Infiniti) suck. Surprised they didn't tell you that you needed a new transfer case for $4000. I've come to realize the dealer is only worth visiting for my state inspections and if I need a part STAT.

They exist to milk the upper class, which is fine I suppose, as everyone (and company) needs a hustle. Buyers like me need them to do well so we can get amazing vehicles when the depreciation is close to bottom. Dealers certainly don't cater to the average 3rd or 4rth owner. Which is why I never recommend anyone buy a used BMW unless they have a good indy already or are capable of doing the work themselves. At very least the maintenance work. /rant
Appreciate 1
jg42553.00
      10-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #107
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg425 View Post
I need to do the Transfer Case fluid change and recalibration. I was thinking about taking it to my local indy for the fluid change. It's a 12 bay garage as well as a Fast Lube. Figured the Fast Lube guys are more than equipped w/ the tools for the job. Then I'll recalibrate using ISTA once I pick it up. I've asked, and the shop isn't equipped w/ the ISTA software. Anyhow, in case I decide to do it myself can you link those FCP Euro transfer case parts? I don't see to have any luck w/ their search function.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #108
jg425
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x35i

Quote:
I need to do the Transfer Case fluid change and recalibration. I was thinking about taking it to my local indy for the fluid change. It's a 12 bay garage as well as a Fast Lube. Figured the Fast Lube guys are more than equipped w/ the tools for the job. Then I'll recalibrate using ISTA once I pick it up. I've asked, and the shop isn't equipped w/ the ISTA software. Anyhow, in case I decide to do it myself can you link those FCP Euro transfer case parts? I don't see to have any luck w/ their search function.
Here are the skus for the fluid, wrench and pump
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-01-2021, 04:29 AM   #109
Andy_Kay
Rep

OK I think I'm going to give it a go and change the oil myself.
I'm pretty confident mechanically - if I can access the area - like I changed my oil pressure/temperature sensor which took 4 hours a few months ago on my other car.

Thanks for that list above!
Appreciate 1
jg42553.00
      11-28-2021, 10:08 PM   #110
Lex2BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad1985 View Post
I mean if you have warranty then you might not need to buys anything take it to a shop see what they say. If they want to get tc and cant find a decent place just shoot me a message and i can tell you where to get it.
Thanks. I found out my warranty is insured by zurich, dealership was pleased to hear. So once i get water pump repaired this week, i'll either give the tc fluid exchange a try or just replace tc.
Appreciate 0