BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #89
dubs
Private
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachsideF30 View Post
This is referencing the front diff tho with the axles. This wouldn't have a bearing on those with S drive that have the same noise tho I would assume
This, just showed the TSB to my service advisor and he said considering a S drive doesn't have a front diff he doesn't think it'll fix the issue since this noise is present on both S/X drives.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #90
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
This, just showed the TSB to my service advisor and he said considering a S drive doesn't have a front diff he doesn't think it'll fix the issue since this noise is present on both S/X drives.

A dealership should be able to find and fix the issue.

We had our X Drive X5 for weeks for noises at the dealership.
The dealership couldn't find the issue and opened a PUMA case and this was the solution for our issue.

The first time the vehicle was returned and my wife was told the water bottle in the trunk made this noise, so I don't trust any SA anymore. After recording the noise we dropped the vehicle again off for additional 3 weeks. The TSB helped with our ticking so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 09:00 PM   #91
fertigulator
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
A dealership should be able to find and fix the issue.

We had our X Drive X5 for weeks for noises at the dealership.
The dealership couldn't find the issue and opened a PUMA case and this was the solution for our issue.

The first time the vehicle was returned and my wife was told the water bottle in the trunk made this noise, so I don't trust any SA anymore. After recording the noise we dropped the vehicle again off for additional 3 weeks. The TSB helped with our ticking so far.
Anybody try this yet? Curious to know the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:49 PM   #92
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90--> E92-->F30

I gave up trying to figure it out, I've just learned to live with it annoying as it is
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #93
AW0802
Private
Rep
Drives: 02-E368 16-F15 11-F10

I have similar issue with my 2016 X5 with 60K on it, Ticking/ Knocking noise while accelerating under load ONLY, so we lift up the car and left foot on light brake and right foot on accelerating and my friend/tech found out the sound is coming near the block area, not from turbo or the wastegate. we will drop the Pan this Sunday and inspect/replace the Rod Bearing, will keep you guys posted
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #94
AW0802
Private
Rep
Drives: 02-E368 16-F15 11-F10

after replacing the Rod Bearing yesterday the knocking sound still there, FXxxxxXX, any one here with luck on their S-drive?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:10 PM   #95
gershon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW0802 View Post
after replacing the Rod Bearing yesterday the knocking sound still there, FXxxxxXX, any one here with luck on their S-drive?
I have this ticking noise problem too...there's another thread about this noise where a forum member insisted the noise was due to "engine knocking/pinging/pre detonation".

I'm hoping it's fixable, whatever it is. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me, is why it seems to have been brought up only in the last few years, and not before.

I have a 2016 35i and took it to my local dealer a few months ago - after looking it over for 30 minutes, putting it up on the lift, and taking it for a drive, the tech said the noise was coming from a spare lug nut I keep in my glovebox...I left and didn't want to argue. The tech did a lot of testing, and said the car is functioning as normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #96
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gershon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW0802 View Post
I have this ticking noise problem too...there's another thread about this noise where a forum member insisted the noise was due to "engine knocking/pinging/pre detonation".

I'm hoping it's fixable, whatever it is. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me, is why it seems to have been brought up only in the last few years, and not before.

I have a 2016 35i and took it to my local dealer a few months ago - after looking it over for 30 minutes, putting it up on the lift, and taking it for a drive, the tech said the noise was coming from a spare lug nut I keep in my glovebox...I left and didn't want to argue. The tech did a lot of testing, and said the car is functioning as normal.
Most of us in this thread get the "normal operational sound" from the dealers. There's nothing normal about it. What baffles me is how is this sound at low speed load only but not low speed rolling in N and revving the engine it's smooth as silk. and that it's present on X and S drive
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:01 PM   #97
Fknid
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Most of us in this thread get the "normal operational sound" from the dealers. There's nothing normal about it. What baffles me is how is this sound at low speed load only but not low speed rolling in N and revving the engine it's smooth as silk. and that it's present on X and S drive
I have flashed my trans with xhp flashtool. I was never happy with Comfort mode being so overly eager to keep the engine at lowest rpm. I could go from flat road to 15% incline and the car wouldn't change down a gear, it would sit in its cruise gear (doing about 1100 rpm) bogging down, and when it got to a reasonable rpm (out of the bog zone) then it'd change and put it back in bog zone.

With xhp it will stay in gear just a little longer and change down earlier. The engine doesn't bog down and makes it nicer to drive - and I'm sure it's better for the engine. (Also, changed to using Shell Helix Ultra X 5w-30 and that also helped a lot).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:21 AM   #98
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: F15 35iX

Quote:
Yes, exactly, that makes me crazy too... Luckily, winter is coming, so windows will be up all the time, thus won't hear this annoying ticking for at least a few next months

Back to the topic, that's important (from my POV) that the sound is only present at warm/hot engine, but no on cold. I've tried many times to get it on cold with no result. The car has to be fully warm up to produce the noise.
Based on this, I still think it's something related to turbocharger, catalytic converter or front part of exhaust pipe, not the engine itself. But who knows...

At least one of us have got rid of the sound by replacing the exhaust (I mean this guy
).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:37 AM   #99
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Found a thread where people face the similar issue on B58 engine (symptoms are very similar): https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1658133
The noise had gone after replacing the turbocharger and his serviceman said it was caused by wastegate valve.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 07:06 AM   #100
sergiyny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport

So after having my second visit to bmw with the same issue i've been told that the problems is with the struts, they have to be replaced and the cost for that is $4800. Interesting that during my first visit to a different bmw service, they told me the noise is an acoustic sound reverberating from the oil pump up to the valve train under load. Who to believe I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #101
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiyny View Post
So after having my second visit to bmw with the same issue i've been told that the problems is with the struts, they have to be replaced and the cost for that is $4800. Interesting that during my first visit to a different bmw service, they told me the noise is an acoustic sound reverberating from the oil pump up to the valve train under load. Who to believe I don't know.
I would be shocked if it was either of these. Sounds like there grasping for straws. My dealer told me it was normal after 3 days and sent me away
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 01:18 AM   #102
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiyny View Post
Def not the struts. I replaced mine two weeks ago. Same sound is still there.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #103
X5Brian
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

New to forum but wanted to chime in that mine also does the “ticking” under load at low rpms “bogged” down. My motor is new with under 20k miles after BMW replaced it under warranty after some ticking developed after a night of “spirited” driving ( like 5 mins of having fun vs a friends 400hp ST explorer) … motor had 45k miles at that point.
I took it to dealership and they said it’s a known problem of waste gate rattle…
Turbo was not replaced with new motor.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 06:40 AM   #104
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Brian View Post
New to forum but wanted to chime in that mine also does the “ticking” under load at low rpms “bogged” down. My motor is new with under 20k miles after BMW replaced it under warranty after some ticking developed after a night of “spirited” driving ( like 5 mins of having fun vs a friends 400hp ST explorer) … motor had 45k miles at that point.
I took it to dealership and they said it’s a known problem of waste gate rattle…
Turbo was not replaced with new motor.
So you have 45k on the turbo then? Cause I bought mine with 23 on it, I started hearing the ticking around 35kish. Currently at 42
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #105
ronmexico385
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Luxury Line

My wife’s 2014 n55 sdrive with 89k miles makes the exact same ticking noise on initial acceleration, only apparent when windows open and driving next to a car/fence/wall. To the point where I had to reread the OP to double check that it wasn’t an old thread I had created.

The strange thing is, I feel like this sound has come and gone several times in the 5 years we have owned the x5. To add another piece to the puzzle, the most recent time it became apparent was immediately after picking it up from an oil change, where it definitely wasn’t making the sound before. It has since become much less noticeable in the month or so since…
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #106
X5Brian
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

I agree! Mine has disappeared now, not sure how. BMW changes my oil every 10k so nothing new there. I did Run some fuel injector cleaner about 5-8k miles ago and noted my engine was quite when standing outside and I don’t hear injector tick when at drive through… but tick was same as above… could roll down window and drive by a building, lug engine slightly and boom loud ticking heard … gone for now

Or bmw tightened up something that was found loose…..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #107
fertigulator
Rep

Exhaust?

Anybody try replacing the exhaust, from the cat back?

Obviously we shouldn't have to at our expense, just curious if the ticking is exhaust-related....
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #108
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico385 View Post
The strange thing is, I feel like this sound has come and gone several times in the 5 years we have owned the x5. To add another piece to the puzzle, the most recent time it became apparent was immediately after picking it up from an oil change, where it definitely wasn’t making the sound before. It has since become much less noticeable in the month or so since…
I've also noticed than in winter the sound gets noticeably quieter and (probably) less frequent, but it's still here. However, I needed to drive about 20 mins in summer to be able to hear it, now it's silent until maybe 40+ minutes. So I think it is somehow related to the outside temperature...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 12:07 PM   #109
fertigulator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomzara View Post
I've also noticed than in winter the sound gets noticeably quieter and (probably) less frequent, but it's still here. However, I needed to drive about 20 mins in summer to be able to hear it, now it's silent until maybe 40+ minutes. So I think it is somehow related to the outside temperature...
Or, car simply heating up. I noticed mine doesn't do it until the car is at normal operating temperature. I think the winter thing is you just don't notice it as much because your windows are up.

In this forum someone said wheel bearings. I wonder if that is the fix?

Here is a good video on how to replace DIY-
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #110
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertigulator View Post
I think the winter thing is you just don't notice it as much because your windows are up.
I don't notice it - with windows up - in summer too Of course, I meant driving with passenger window full way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertigulator View Post
In this forum someone said wheel bearings. I wonder if that is the fix?
Well, I've both front bearings replaced a few months ago. It has definitely nothing to do with that noise.
Appreciate 0