BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #45
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Car design is both an art and a science. Some are designed purely for space and economy and others purely for looks (which with art is subject to opinion). There are some in the middle, but it could be argued that they are a compromise. Therefore, you pay your money and take your choice and the car manufactures pamper to either our scientific needs (Ford people carrier) or artistic nature (X6) or maybe the compromise (X5). I don't need a big car or 381 BHP and neither do I need exceptional mpg or 4 wheel drive, but I can pamper myself with frivoulous choices that make me feel good and in my opinion look good. I'm getting an F16 X6 M50d in Jan in metallic black with red leather and 20" wheels and a load of options that I don't need, I can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #46
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

I find the (new) X6 tempting.
Actually - IF the X4 could be configured with some of he "goodie-options" like those possible for the X5/6 - it could be an interesting car for us too.
But it can't. (Like comfort-seats are a no-compromise must-have for us).
That means X5 or X6.

I think I am going to ask my dealer for a test-drive when it arrives - just to get the comparison-feeling to our X5, and hopefully, calm down the mind a bit

Bent
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #47
Manbnda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 AW

This car is a beautiful beast, exudes luxury, design and power. Everything the X4 could've been in a smaller size, but it is Not.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #48
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I have the perfect song to be played in the F16 X6: David Bowie Beauty and the Beast! I'll be ripping the Stage Live version to the hard drive in January.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #49
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post
I've never been able to understand the market segment this car serves. Is the X6 supposed to be a "sporty" activity vehicle? Is it a smaller version of an X5…what the heck is it?

I think Jeremy Clarkson described the shape as resembling the hunched back of a dog doing it's business on your lawn. No disrespect intended to people that like this vehicle, I just thought it was a pretty funny description (accurate - too)
The X6 is not hunched in the back... it is actually slanted similar to a hatchback coupe style. The "GT" versions of the 5 series would resemble more of a hunchback style...
I would put the X6 in a more sporty performance SUV category.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #50
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post
I've never been able to understand the market segment this car serves. Is the X6 supposed to be a "sporty" activity vehicle? Is it a smaller version of an X5…what the heck is it?
When I'm asked what car I drive and respond X6, the usual question is "What is that? A bigger X5?" My response is usually "Its like an X5, but cooler."

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #51
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

It's kind of like the whole point of a Range Rover Sport compared to a Range Rover. One is just more sporty. If you put them side by side on a track...common sense dictates that the X6 will handle better...this is a given. The Range Rover Sport is the same way.

I wouldn't say one is cooler than the other. They're both unique in their own way . I know everyone has their own opinion of each and that's something I respect. No one should ever bash someone's preferences. We all like what we like for our own reasons.

Personally, in my opinion, the X4 doesn't really seem to fit in. I think ever since BMW and Mercedes started making these smaller categories like the GLA, they're trying to CREATE a new class. Will people buy them? Probably. Is there really a point? Who knows...different strokes for different folks I guess.
      10-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #52
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
"What is that? A bigger X5?" My response is usually "Its like an X5, but cooler."
...I wouldn't say one is cooler than the other. They're both unique in their own way .
Well, saying that is a whole lot easier than going into an expose about the differences between the two cars, which is only required when someone is really interested in the car. "Its a little lower and a little longer, has a slopier (sic) roof and has better driving characteristics." Most people stop listening before that sentence is complete.

That last point isn't valid anymore since you can get DPC on an X5 now (and you couldn't on an E70), whereas it was standard on X6s (and now its not). Since the expose sentence isn't as long now, the 'stop listening' phenomena is reduced so I can probably go with that in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #53
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Well, saying that is a whole lot easier than going into an expose about the differences between the two cars, which is only required when someone is really interested in the car. "Its a little lower and a little longer, has a slopier (sic) roof and has better driving characteristics." Most people stop listening before that sentence is complete.

That last point isn't valid anymore since you can get DPC on an X5 now (and you couldn't on an E70), whereas it was standard on X6s (and now its not). Since the expose sentence isn't as long now, the 'stop listening' phenomena is reduced so I can probably go with that in the future.
I guess that is easier, lol.

Regarding the last point, which I assume refers to the handling of both vehicles. The X6 is about 200-300 lbs lighter than the X5. That's a pretty big difference in how handling, 0-60 times, and braking are concerned. Also, just so I wouldn't sound ignorant, in the past 15 minutes, I read in depth about about how cars are affected through differences in weight reduction (200 lbs specifically). If the X5 and X6 have the exact same options, the X6 will win. Yes, the driver matters, but let's just say for fair comparison that the Stig does a lap in both. So, the X6 will handle better .
      10-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #54
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Of course almost everyone here has heard of or watched Clarkson's review of the X6, which I find very hilarious, especially the glove box part. TG also makes this statement on one of the pages:

"A car in search of an identity. If it keeps you out of the thuggish and poor-riding X5 or X6, then by all means go for it. But why not a 5-series Touring?"

They have never shown a hot lap for the X6 on their show. However, a while ago I watched The Stig do one of the X6M on youtube:

The lap time shows 1:24.7, which is the fastest BMW that's on their leaderboard (the fastest being the M1 coupe at 1:25.0): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ower_Lap_Times . However, the X6M isn't actually ON the leaderboard. Who do you think is responsible for that?? Yes, I know that an X6regular isn't in the same league as the X6M, but still.

In my almost fruitless search for the stupid youtube video, I ran across this, which besides making me want an X6M, the Instrumented Test is really amusing:

http://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/x6-m
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #55
Windy City
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 IND/ESS modded vert

Quote:
Of course almost everyone here has heard of or watched Clarkson's review of the X6, which I find very hilarious, especially the glove box part. TG also makes this statement on one of the pages:

"A car in search of an identity. If it keeps you out of the thuggish and poor-riding X5 or X6, then by all means go for it. But why not a 5-series Touring?"

They have never shown a hot lap for the X6 on their show. However, a while ago I watched The Stig do one of the X6M on youtube:

The lap time shows 1:24.7, which is the fastest BMW that's on their leaderboard (the fastest being the M1 coupe at 1:25.0): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ower_Lap_Times . However, the X6M isn't actually ON the leaderboard. Who do you think is responsible for that?? Yes, I know that an X6regular isn't in the same league as the X6M, but still.

In my almost fruitless search for the stupid youtube video, I ran across this, which besides making me want an X6M, the Instrumented Test is really amusing:

http://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/x6-m
Hey! That's my X6 M!

Cool vid and great sound. Where did they give up the lap time?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #56
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

You are right @r33.... They are in the wrong forum, may be even the wrong website!!

I want an X6 because I can afford one and I like it. Don't judge because you need something for your family or because you think it's "ugly." Is it an overpriced vehicle? May be, but it's the top of the line at BMW and that's what I like! People that comment bad stuff have no taste what so ever. Now, that pisses me off, they're used to the old same stuff. Now, that's crazy!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #57
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
Hey! That's my X6 M!

Cool vid and great sound. Where did they give up the lap time?
It was in the main comment on the youtube page. When I posted the link I thought that it would just show the link, but it embedded the video.

Let's try this (take out the spaces): http: //youtu.be/ wL-YRUKi7fk
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #58
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
The M sport edition is not that different yet makes the car seem like a totally different class..
I'd love to get my hands on one of those.
Appreciate 0