e92proper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335 / 2013 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco
The ad tells us a lot:

• marketed towards female drivers in their 40s
• Single surviving and staying-with-you grandma who who should be in the second row but has been socially and mental forgotten by the son, and is in the third row (there are three seats in the second row and kids could climb back to the 3rd much easier)
• grandma introduces sexuality, recollection of a departed family member (the son's era now), and plays the typical in-law (correcting the daughter in her first line about best route)
• she also looks at the wife when talking about leather, to see her reaction, and wife looks at the husband as if she recently wore or wanted to wear leather, as if grandma had walked in on their business
• She also rubs it in that they are a boring family, by reminding them she is 80 and wants to hurry
• woman knows the car, and how much it costs, and call tell you which "package" produced the nicer leather
• inner suburban family
• kids play their teen and pre-teen roles well. They should have had BMW wireless headphones for the rear entertainment option

BMW is trying to sell this car to middle-aged women who want more kinky, leather sex, who have shielded kids, and a live-in in-law. <-- been trying to use this seesaw for ever.

Certainly not an ultimate driving machine ad.
Marketing analyst right here!! Awesome, and totally agree with everything you said. To the regular folks that see the commercial, in sure they think it's just a terrible commercial. It's funny it's like BMW is trying to be more mild and lame while every other auto company is trying to be cool and edgy.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #46
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92proper View Post
Marketing analyst right here!! Awesome, and totally agree with everything you said. To the regular folks that see the commercial, in sure they think it's just a terrible commercial. It's funny it's like BMW is trying to be more mild and lame while every other auto company is trying to be cool and edgy.
I agree. To be honest, this commercial was far more fun/interesting than these BMW ones, and it was of a Kia Sorento :

02-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #47
burrito007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

the terrible 3rd row is now why I have an explorer sport instead of a second X5 in the stable.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:34 PM   #48
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Great commercial.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:42 PM   #49
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
New F15 X5 ad - "Moon"

-video-
Ah much nicer and funnier, without the strong sexual connotations.
Agreed. Although I will say this is tame compared to the super bowl ad, the thought of Katie Couric twerking is way awkward.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 12:18 AM   #50
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
fyun89, I know pretty much everyone in the F15 community, so I was just trying to figure out your intentions. Once something gets featured in Bimmerpost, it goes viral to the whole BMW community. I wasn't trying to be mean, but there are people out there in other forums that get a kick out of arguing or stirring the pot for no reason. I just wanted to make sure you weren't one of those people, so I asked a silly multiplication question to see if you were being for real in wanting to know the joke (since in our eyes, it was quite easy to see all of the sexual connotation/strange behavior of this 80 year old lady).

Anyway, chrisny and a few other explained it quite well. The whole commercial has very sexual connotation behind it. The way the grandmother speaks about "leather" and her late husband being a "dominant man" deals with sexual references. The mother in the front is looking at her husband to acknowledge her that this is HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATE especially in front of the kids. Therefore, she keeps looking at him to kind of "tame" his mother and make her stop. I guess the other way to look at it is, if an F15 X5 can make an old lady talk/react this way, there must be something "special" about this vehicle. It's not the "norm" for the elderly to enjoy high speed or openly talk about sex. There is also the "irony" in that the 80 year old grandma is saying "pick up the pace" to make them go faster when most old people drive very slowly and don't like speed; when it comes to people being impatient, it's the younger generation, not the older generation. So, the F15 must really be something "different" and "unique" for an old woman to start acting that way. Of course, there are many different meanings and ways to look at this commercial, which everyone explained nicely from their understanding (I think this is what BMW was going after - to make everyone THINK). Now, you're THINKING about their F15 X5 (whether intrigued or disgusted by the old woman) = marketing success.
Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea why the title was "leather" as well but now i understand. I am probably younger than you and I had no idea about that connotation probably due to the age difference or something. But anyways it's interesting to know.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2015, 02:09 AM   #51
Babs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I like the Kia commercial. It's cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:03 AM   #52
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Love that old bird. East coast lady! Reminds me of my ma.
      02-24-2015, 10:48 PM   #53
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post

BMW is trying to sell this car to middle-aged women who want more kinky, leather sex, who have shielded kids, and a live-in in-law. <-- been trying to use this seesaw for ever.

Certainly not an ultimate driving machine ad.
Good job BMW!
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 01:25 AM   #54
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Heads up!