BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
The X-Factor...The battle between X5 vs X6...

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
so I thought to share our journey and as an existing owner of a F15 how we ended up deciding on purchasing yet another X5 (diesel) over the totally deceiving and sexy looking X6.
Albeit some cold looks from wifey (she likes the look of X6, and frankly so do I)...we both decided to give the points to X5 again.
So we went on for weeks evaluating the new X6 "trying" to find enough evidence and argument to fill in our "let's go with X6" basket...however whatever +'s we found, there was an "if" or "but" involved.
Our evaluation is primarily targeted at those who are currently in the same boat, a bit indecisive, and struggling with a firm decision. Obviously, point of views, family styles, needs are all different and therefore all or some may not apply. But I think if you have hard time accepting a point and can easily live with it, then you should give x6 a credit there. So here were the challenging articles:
1- Family. I know many families have chosen X6. But at the end of the day, we decided space will eventually be an issue with X6. Families with 2+ kids, may probably hit the same road block. My 8 year old son sat in the rear seat of the X6 (that's coming from almost 2years of sitting in an X5), and immediately said, it is so small (crampy). Also the sun roof is small like a sedan vs the full version of X5' all-roof!
2- Diesel vs Gasoline. With X6 line there was no choice of going Diesel. Our struggle might have gotten more complicated if we had the choice. To make matters worse, Mercedes has come up with the GLE coupe diesel. So we were somehow disappointed about X6 diesel non existence in North American Market.
3- Limited color varieties. So the color choice of interior/exterior that would go together, is incredibly limited on X6. So if you do not want a white or black color, you're pretty much limited to what you can select. Specially the interior colors coming with Premium Comfort Seats. Basically only 2 color combinations (white/black & brown/black) for comfort seats. The ivory is too white with kids and the brown is cognac brown which doesn't go with a lot of exterior colors. Plus we found the bi-color design to be very cheaply styled...the car turns into multiple colors that don't necessarily go together plus that you need to figure out an exterior color that would go with all that charade! To get those seats you also need to factor in an extra $1,000. The only other mono colored comfort seats are black and beige. The rest are regular seats. This item does not apply to folks who don't have too much difficulty choosing a color combo. I've seen pretty weird color combos... We've also seen a LOT of white exterior with black or red interior, or black exterior with black, red, brown interior., which is not our cup of tea either. So for those folks that have a thing for balck and white, no issue here.
4- higher price. After all this, the price ends up higher than ax X5. So we figured we could order more options on an X5 for the same price of an X6.
5- better market demand at the time of sell. We sold our existing x5 in less than 2 weeks after advertising and at an incredible price. I imagine, the X6 would be sitting a lot longer until that niche buyer comes in.(doesn't apply to those who lease).
6- 3rd row option. Which is no way available on X6. We understand that folks who order an X6 would not need the 3rd row, but still there are many that order the 3rd row for that "particular" day.
All this, Topped with higher gas consumption compared to X5 diesel,...
So the verdict was that we will still enjoy watching an X6 pass by while we are sitting in our X5!
Hopefully this review is helpful for some who are in the same boat.

Last edited by Shaw; 10-05-2015 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:29 AM   #2
Baco
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupé

Before I ordered our X5 I thought about the X6 a lot too, but I really wanted a 3rd seat row so the X5 was the only option left. At first I didn't really like the X6 design, but it grew on me (and it drives awesome) but the X5 was the better choice at this point imho.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Sumokb
Rep
Drives: F10 520d mSport

After a lot of research from RRS to X5 to X6 Last weekend I nervously bought a space grey X6 with coral red interior and black wheels! ?

Result is I'm a very happy guy - beautiful car - right choice made ?

Anyone who says space is an issue hasn't driven the X6 - it's a monster truck ?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
vangoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumokb View Post
After a lot of research from RRS to X5 to X6 Last weekend I nervously bought a space grey X6 with coral red interior and black wheels! ?

Result is I'm a very happy guy - beautiful car - right choice made ?

Anyone who says space is an issue hasn't driven the X6 - it's a monster truck ?
The trunk space is much smaller but interior isn't. I wanted X5 but wife wanted X6. In the end, we are both happy with our X6.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Sumokb
Rep
Drives: F10 520d mSport

The top of the trunk?

Seldom if ever used ??
Appreciate 0