BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-07-2021, 05:12 PM   #89
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

So tempting, but just can't bring myself to sacrifice any comfort. Bottoming out, or the remote risk of it, is an absolute deal killer.
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272163.50
      09-07-2021, 06:39 PM   #90
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascotgrun View Post
So tempting, but just can't bring myself to sacrifice any comfort. Bottoming out, or the remote risk of it, is an absolute deal killer.
I hear you! Luckily I can adjust if I do bottom out but I'm hoping to take the time to dial it in just right. And regarding comfort, fortunately my back doesn't hate me yet and my fiancé doesn't really mind lol.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #91
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
Coilovers have arrived. I'm still traveling for a bit but install is on the books for 9/25 with a buddy since he has a lift
Awesome. Good luck with the install.

I LOVE the BCR's on my E53 X5. I did have to raise it up a tiny bit and stiffen it up to avoid bottoming out on VERY hard drops. There was an offramp under construction that had the top layer (or two) of material scraped off so it was like a 3 or 4" drop that caused the issue. Raised the truck back up 0.25" and stiffened it up a tad. No problems since.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2021, 08:04 PM   #92
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
I hear ya. The ride isn't that harsh, but I do bottom out from time to time. I loaded the X5 down and drove the family to the beach a week ago, and to my surprise I didn't bottom out at all. I believe the OP opted for swift springs or stiffer spring rates so I'm curious to see his results once dialed in. In your case you could go w/ KW V3's and prob never bottom out. There's only one con to those and that's the $$$.
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272163.50
      09-07-2021, 08:15 PM   #93
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Coilovers have arrived. I'm still traveling for a bit but install is on the books for 9/25 with a buddy since he has a lift
Nice!! Mine just got here too and is scheduled to be installed on 9/24. Can't wait.
Appreciate 2
sukhk5272163.50
      09-08-2021, 06:35 AM   #94
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post

Awesome. Good luck with the install.

I LOVE the BCR's on my E53 X5. I did have to raise it up a tiny bit and stiffen it up to avoid bottoming out on VERY hard drops. There was an offramp under construction that had the top layer (or two) of material scraped off so it was like a 3 or 4" drop that caused the issue. Raised the truck back up 0.25" and stiffened it up a tad. No problems since.
Noted, thanks dude! I know it's going to take me a couple weeks of driving, tweaking and so on so I'm hoping to get it just right. My last car (stancy VW) took four sets of adjustments and alignments to get it just right so I know it can be done lol.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 02:48 AM   #95
yulian
Private
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d 2014

Hello, great looking car )

I have same color, 19" rims (as you previous) ) and "offroad" look ))

How is Chrome Delete with Gloss Black Vinyl going after some time? Is it worth it? Which material you've been using?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 06:45 PM   #96
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
9/25/21

did an altitude adjustment today. BC Racing with 14k/12k linear Swift springs to hopefully prevent some shock travel even with damping set on full soft. We'll see if my theory pans out.

Rides just like factory so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-26-2021, 11:53 AM   #97
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Looks great, what are the current measurements?. So it definitely still rides like factory?. Are they a true coilover in the rear or just a height adjustable spring?.

I'm still in the "considering it" phase. I just recently got rid of runflats and I am on 20's so enjoying the ride as it is.

But it needs to be lower. The only reason I haven't bought Eibachs yet is because I am hesitant to add new lower springs to well used shocks. Just my luck the shocks will die shortly after I go through all the work installing springs.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #98
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looks great, what are the current measurements?. So it definitely still rides like factory?. Are they a true coilover in the rear or just a height adjustable spring?.

I'm still in the "considering it" phase. I just recently got rid of runflats and I am on 20's so enjoying the ride as it is.

But it needs to be lower. The only reason I haven't bought Eibachs yet is because I am hesitant to add new lower springs to well used shocks. Just my luck the shocks will die shortly after I go through all the work installing springs.
Thanks! It's currently sitting at 30" FTG Front and 31" FTG rear. Set it up that way for now since my big fat Indian wedding is in two weeks and I'll be doing a bit of road tripping and hauling. I prefer rake so I may bring it down another half inch and call it good. Height adjustable spring/perch setup in the rear with an adjustable shock body as well.

As for comfort, with more seat time today it's definitely stiffer. I took my normal downtown city roads route around KC for errands and it's noticeable. If you're looking for comfort, Eibach and Bilstein B6's for sure is the way to go. I'd equate it to an H&R Race spring setup which I've had on a couple cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 11:32 PM   #99
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
As for comfort, with more seat time today it's definitely stiffer. I took my normal downtown city roads route around KC for errands and it's noticeable. If you're looking for comfort, Eibach and Bilstein B6's for sure is the way to go. I'd equate it to an H&R Race spring setup which I've had on a couple cars.
I'd agree with that assessment. Can be as soft as H&R Sport springs w/ Billy Sports, harder like H&R Race w/ Billy Sports, or even harder. I could make mine ride very similarly to the 4 corner factory air ride setup on my E53 X5 though I did not choose the swift springs and grabbed an "off the shelf kit." But then, if adjusted soft, it has to come up too as you will max travel on large dips.

At any rate, looks great. Excellent mod for any X5. Definite improvement in handling and looks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 03:43 AM   #100
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If max comfort means possibly bottoming then that's concerning. I don't think I would even want it as low as some others I have seen, maybe 31" all around with no rake?.

I would probably be OK as I rarely ever have passengers (back seat only ever been used once) and S FL roads are pretty good, but there is always that construction zone with torn up roads and uneven surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 08:17 AM   #101
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If max comfort means possibly bottoming then that's concerning. I don't think I would even want it as low as some others I have seen, maybe 31" all around with no rake?.

I would probably be OK as I rarely ever have passengers (back seat only ever been used once) and S FL roads are pretty good, but there is always that construction zone with torn up roads and uneven surfaces.
The reason I went with the linear spring was to prevent as much shock travel given it's linear nature so let's see if the theory pans out. I don't anticipating any bottoming out on my set up , but only time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 10:51 AM   #102
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Fuking looks mean bro! Attitude adjustment for sure. Totally transforms the look of your ride IMO
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #103
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The reason I went with the linear spring was to prevent as much shock travel given it's linear nature so let's see if the theory pans out. I don't anticipating any bottoming out on my set up , but only time will tell.
sukhk527 I doubt you will at that height. I went a bit, let's say enthusiastic, when I first installed my BCR coilovers. Plus I had it 3 clicks on the soft side. After one (construction zone) bad dropoff I had a bad rub so raised it 1/4" all around and went 6 clicks to the stiffer side and haven't had a problem since. Ride isn't as soft, but I'm fine with that.

Here's what mine was like at the initial low setting on the coils.

Appreciate 1
sukhk5272163.50
      09-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #104
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I doubt I would go that low. Did you have the spring upgrade?.
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272163.50
      09-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #105
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Fuking looks mean bro! Attitude adjustment for sure. Totally transforms the look of your ride IMO
Thanks man! Total transformation for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post

sukhk527 I doubt you will at that height. I went a bit, let's say enthusiastic, when I first installed my BCR coilovers. Plus I had it 3 clicks on the soft side. After one (construction zone) bad dropoff I had a bad rub so raised it 1/4" all around and went 6 clicks to the stiffer side and haven't had a problem since. Ride isn't as soft, but I'm fine with that.
Good to know. I still will likely bring the rear down a tad, and probably go a few clicks stiffer. But I'm okay with harsh riding daily drivers for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #106
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
11/3/21

Not a whole lot of exciting updates. M-Style Mirror Caps, and the Blue headlight/Yellow fog light Lamin-X kit went on today. Coby Wheel still in production. She goes under the knife tomorrow morning for Gearbox fluid/filter service, front/rear diff fluid change, Motul oil change and cleaning the air filter on the AFE airbox at 41,7xx miles.

Flares and possibly a downpipe will be winter projects. Color match the flares?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
jmack1231300.50
      11-03-2021, 09:15 PM   #107
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i

Quote:
11/3/21

Not a whole lot of exciting updates. M-Style Mirror Caps, and the Blue headlight/Yellow fog light Lamin-X kit went on today. Coby Wheel still in production. She goes under the knife tomorrow morning for Gearbox fluid/filter service, front/rear diff fluid change, Motul oil change and cleaning the air filter on the AFE airbox at 41,7xx miles.

I did my fogs with black tint. Yup color match on the flares then you'll need some spacers to push the wheels out
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #108
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
11/3/21

Looks great bro! I did the Lamin-x yellow fog covers. Funny how the most inexpensive mods get the most attention. I think mine being weight the yellow pops out and thus the comments. Yours is the first I've seen the blue tint on the headlights. I actually like it with your application. Isn't prying the OEM mirror covers off fun? I kept thinking I was going to break something as it took more force than I thought. Somehow, got away unscaved though. U running MHD transmission tune? Still on RC piggyback? I know you hinted about going with a flash tune. I'm still really impressed with my BM3 stage 2 tune and even the "free" tranny flash they offer dramatically increases the quickness and clamping power of the shifts when in sport manual tranny mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #109
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Quote:
11/3/21

Looks great bro! I did the Lamin-x yellow fog covers. Funny how the most inexpensive mods get the most attention. I think mine being weight the yellow pops out and thus the comments. Yours is the first I've seen the blue tint on the headlights. I actually like it with your application. Isn't prying the OEM mirror covers off fun? I kept thinking I was going to break something as it took more force than I thought. Somehow, got away unscaved though. U running MHD transmission tune? Still on RC piggyback? I know you hinted about going with a flash tune. I'm still really impressed with my BM3 stage 2 tune and even the "free" tranny flash they offer dramatically increases the quickness and clamping power of the shifts when in sport manual tranny mode.

Dude straight up thought I was going to break something taking the mirror caps off. But we goodie.

Still on RaceChip RS and XHP TCU Tune. The dudes who had my car during my wedding couldn't get it bench unlocked in time for some reason. So heart was broken again. XHP I'm sure is similar to your BM3 one with the harder and faster shifts.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 05:19 PM   #110
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Dude straight up thought I was going to break something taking the mirror caps off. But we goodie.

Still on RaceChip RS and XHP TCU Tune. The dudes who had my car during my wedding couldn't get it bench unlocked in time for some reason. So heart was broken again. XHP I'm sure is similar to your BM3 one with the harder and faster shifts.
I bet man! Hopefully you get it unlocked soon. I can't wait for you to fell the difference.
Appreciate 0