BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2021, 07:23 PM   #45
dubs
Private
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomzara View Post
Back to the topic: found another video on YT with exactly the same ticking noise as we all have

Clearly audible at 0:03-0:04 when he accelerates, also 0:24-0:26 (interesting observation: the sound stops once the wastegate gets opened at 0:26). For better hearing use headphones. The sound is 100% the same as on my video, as well as symptoms he describes.

Symptoms (from his words):

Quickly looked through the comments on YT: he mentioned the noise had gone after replacing the exhaust (?). It's a bit unclear what part of exhaust was replaced though.
Yea initially something with the exhaust was my first guess but figured that wasn't the case as it still made noise after upgrading to a MPE
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 02:24 AM   #46
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: F15 35iX

So annoying that we live in XXI century but still are not able to find the source of such a loud and clear sound in a tiny 4x4x4 ft volume ...

I wonder if there is a chance to place multiple microphones in different parts of the engine bay, record audios and then compare them to detect the exact point that produces the sound with triangulation or any other computational method? I'm pretty sure this could work in multiple industries...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 08:36 PM   #47
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
So annoying that we live in XXI century but still are not able to find the source of such a loud and clear sound in a tiny 4x4x4 ft volume ...

I wonder if there is a chance to place multiple microphones in different parts of the engine bay, record audios and then compare them to detect the exact point that produces the sound with triangulation or any other computational method? I'm pretty sure this could work in multiple industries...
spend enough money and time, im sure itll get resolved. but the better question is, how far r u willing to go.
      09-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #48
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90--> E92-->F30

Random story…I was working outside today and an elderly woman in a f15 s35i stopped at a stop sign next to me. She pulled away from the stop sign and hers made the identical noise we all have as she drove off. Maybe this is more common then I thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 04:10 AM   #49
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Yes could be quite common... I don't usually drive with windows down, and didn't know that my car produces this ticking noise until a friend of mine noticed it being outside when I drove off. So it took almost a year after purchasing the vehicle to discover this unpleasant "surprise".

Anyway this isn't normal situation and should be resolved. Planning to have wastegate calibration/measurements via ISTA+ later today, and (if needed) adjust the wastegate rod length. Some say it helps (especially at N20/N26 engines). Let's see what I'll get.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #50
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Someone added this to my question in the N55 thread for f30's. Might be something for us to look at.

Here is the tsb referenced above. not sure if this is it or not but maybe something to look into.

https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B64-01-14
Attached Images

Last edited by BeachsideF30; 09-04-2021 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 12:52 PM   #51
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

BeachsideF30, it seems that this is specific issue only related to F30's series, F15s do have completely different AC hoses locations.

In the meanwhile, I have measured the EWG adjustment values via ISTA+. It says mine is about -0.52mm, which is just below the normal values range -0.5mm to 0.5mm (the picture below is not mine). Will manually readjust the wastegate valve link length tomorrow.

P.S. Found a set of turbocharger tests in ISTA, during the test did hear the buzzing wastegate link noise that everybody complains on since E90 with N54 Pretty quiet and barely noticeable but still present on N55. BMW is BMW
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 01:16 AM   #52
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
BeachsideF30, it seems that this is specific issue only related to F30's series, F15s do have completely different AC hoses locations.

In the meanwhile, I have measured the EWG adjustment values via ISTA+. It says mine is about -0.52mm, which is just below the normal values range -0.5mm to 0.5mm (the picture below is not mine). Will manually readjust the wastegate valve link length tomorrow.

P.S. Found a set of turbocharger tests in ISTA, during the test did hear the buzzing wastegate link noise that everybody complains on since E90 with N54 Pretty quiet and barely noticeable but still present on N55. BMW is BMW
Interesting stuff, Bomzara. Appreciate the follow through with information and diagnostics. Hopefully this is it
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 04:29 AM   #53
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Well, had a chance to get under the car and adjust the wastegate rod length.
Strange thing, but when I performed the same ISTA+ test on cold engine in the morning, it said there's no problem and link length is fine (on hot engine it said -0.52mm).

So, both the nuts were turned clockwise so the length shortened by ~0.5mm.
Also I tried to move the wastegate flap rod backwards-forwards with my hand. The flap definitely has some play around its bearing. And you know what I got? The same (or very very similar) sound that you can hear in the video above!
So now I can say for sure that's a wastegate flap.

As a result - nothing has changed (almost) The ticking sound is still present, but I think now it's limited on 1800RPM (before it was around 2200).
Another observation (that may be wrong though, have to test it more): the sound doesn't occur new while driving on highway. The only way to replicate it is city-style driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 01:52 PM   #54
Turtlekid95
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
I have this exact issue with my 2014 xdrive35i with 136,000 miles. I actually made a previous post of my own about it.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27547268

Would love to know what it is since I haven't been able to get any answers.

Wanted to add a more recent clip that I have taken.

https://youtube.com/shorts/zE2gu_IPUoQ?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #55
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlekid95 View Post
I have this exact issue with my 2014 xdrive35i with 136,000 miles. I actually made a previous post of my own about it.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27547268

Would love to know what it is since I haven't been able to get any answers.

Wanted to add a more recent clip that I have taken.

https://youtube.com/shorts/zE2gu_IPUoQ?feature=share
That's the noise. Glad it's lasted 136k lol that makes me feel better
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 04:05 AM   #56
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Turtlekid95 welcome to the noise haters club haha Same noise ofc. Sounds VERY loud on your video - I can't usually hear it without having any obstacle/wall on the side that allows the sound to bounce back to me.

136k miles that's a good mark for that engine. Have you had any problems (rebuilds) yet?

BTW on russian forums they say that almost every N55 with decent mileage (smth like 50k+) does have this noise: some are quieter, some louder but most of them do have it.

Last edited by Bomzara; 09-09-2021 at 04:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 04:20 AM   #57
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

In Turtlekid95's thread some mention LSPI/detonation. This is not correct IMO.

1. Getting detonation/LSPI on high-forced aluminium engines like N55/N20/N63 kills them in a minute. Have an example with a friend of mine that got a piston totally cracked after just one ride on bad gasoline in combination with custom-tuned N20.

2. The sound doesn't come from the engine itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
I say exhaust leak. Put a gopro underneath or near exhaust manifold and go for a ride.
We were trying to catch it from different points when revving, and it's almost unaudible from around the engine (top, front, sides). The sound is VERY clear from the bottom-right (where the engine mount bracket/turbo/catalytic converter/exhaust are). Initially, we were thinking the sound goes from the right engine mount bracket or so (like catalytic converter gets hot and thicker due to thermal expansion and thus touches the bracket causing this sound). We even wrapped all around the bracket with heat-resistant wrap, that could prevent the ticking - with no luck.

At the moment I'm 99.9% sure that the sound comes from wastegate flap inside of turbocharger.

Last edited by Bomzara; 09-09-2021 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:00 AM   #58
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

1. Getting detonation/LSPI on high-forced aluminium engines like N55/N20/N63 kills them in a minute. Have an example with a friend of mine that got a piston totally cracked after just one ride on bad gasoline in combination with custom-tuned N20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
I say exhaust leak. Put a gopro underneath or near exhaust manifold and go for a ride.
We were trying to catch it from different points when revving, and it's almost unaudible from around the engine (top, front, sides). The sound is VERY clear from the bottom-right (where the engine mount bracket/turbo/catalytic converter/exhaust are). Initially, we were thinking the sound goes from the right engine mount bracket or so (like catalytic converter gets hot and thicker due to thermal expansion and thus touches the bracket causing this sound). We even wrapped all around the bracket with heat-resistant wrap, that could prevent the ticking - with no luck.

At the moment I'm 99.9% sure that the sound comes from wastegate flap inside of turbocharger.
So what do you think the solution is? Change the turbo out?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:43 PM   #59
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Yes, or use the repair kit like this one
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #60
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:

You won't hear an exhaust leak /tick just by revving. The engine needs to under a load. First I'd check if any exhaust manifold bolts have broken off.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #61
Fknid
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 X5 50i

Quote:

1. Getting detonation/LSPI on high-forced aluminium engines like N55/N20/N63 kills them in a minute. Have an example with a friend of mine that got a piston totally cracked after just one ride on bad gasoline in combination with custom-tuned N20..
I don’t think this is correct. I’m sure there is varying degrees - LSPI will not always blow up engine immediately. LSPI is not always detonation, it just represents ignition before the spark.

My issue was certainly LSPI, because it’s gone now after changing to a different oil. This is something to try, mainly because it costs very little in comparison to changing parts. The N63TU burns oil more than other engines, so for this engine the oil would(could) have a great effect on ignition conditions.

I was able to change between Comfort mode and Sport mode and at the same revs under load, the noise would be apparent in Comfort and not Sport. I could easily hear it in the cabin and the engine would have limited power until revs were above 1800 rpm. I took this to mean that the efficiency is being pushed a little too far in Comfort mode, and the conditions produced in the cylinders was enabling pre-ignition.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 02:15 AM   #62
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Thanks for your opinion Fknid! What oil do you use now?

I've been always using premium 5W-40 API SN oil from LiquiMoly on all my BMW's. Have never had any problems with it.

Shouldn't the LSPI impact the engine performance though? TBH I don't feel any noticeable power loss when this sound appears.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #63
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I've been always using premium 5W-40 API SN oil from LiquiMoly on all my BMW's. Have never had any problems with it.

Shouldn't the LSPI impact the engine performance though? TBH I don't feel any noticeable power loss when this sound appears.
I've never noticed a dip in power. You'd never know the difference with the windows up. I'm with you after all this research that it has to be the internal wastegate flap. The dealer will prob tell me to pound sand if I ask them to inspect it at it's next service
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 07:44 PM   #64
Fknid
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
I’m using Shell Helix Ultra 5w-30. My noises had been present from about 10,000 km and got worse. Now at 67,000-ish km now.

It started as a sound like a almost inaudible coffee cup on a saucer sound. Very rare, then over time became clearly audible in the cabin and present in Comfort mode whenever under load between 1400 - 1800 rpm. The sound was most audible after a gear change and revs dropped and would disappear as revs approached 2000.

I hope you can resolve your issue without too much trouble and expense and I’m keen to hear how you go.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 04:29 PM   #65
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Well, had a chance to get under the car and adjust the wastegate rod length.
Strange thing, but when I performed the same ISTA+ test on cold engine in the morning, it said there's no problem and link length is fine (on hot engine it said -0.52mm).

So, both the nuts were turned clockwise so the length shortened by ~0.5mm.
Also I tried to move the wastegate flap rod backwards-forwards with my hand. The flap definitely has some play around its bearing. And you know what I got? The same (or very very similar) sound that you can hear in the video above!
So now I can say for sure that's a wastegate flap.

As a result - nothing has changed (almost) The ticking sound is still present, but I think now it's limited on 1800RPM (before it was around 2200).
Another observation (that may be wrong though, have to test it more): the sound doesn't occur new while driving on highway. The only way to replicate it is city-style driving.
Thanks for your effort here. Was there much adjustment left on the rod itself?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:32 AM   #66
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Thanks for your effort here. Was there much adjustment left on the rod itself?
Definitely... I turned the nut maybe less than 1 full rotation clockwise. There is a space for 5-6 more rotations into both directions.
Appreciate 0