BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #67
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

I have a buzzing noise from the rear passenger side that can be heard under accelerating / load inside the cabin. I haven't heard any ticking noise. Are these two related?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #68
dubs
Private
Rep
Drives: C63

So this morning the noise seems to be back after being non existent a couple of weeks after turbo was replaced. It doesn't make noise while on park like it use to but its there underload/acceleration
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #69
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90--> E92-->F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
So this morning the noise seems to be back after being non existent a couple of weeks after turbo was replaced. It doesn't make noise while on park like it use to but its there underload/acceleration
No way! So if the turbo was replaced obviously that included the wastegate. It's incredible no one really knows what this noise is
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #70
dubs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachsideF30 View Post
No way! So if the turbo was replaced obviously that included the wastegate. It's incredible no one really knows what this noise is
Yea back to square one lol..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 06:55 AM   #71
sergiyny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport

It sucks that we pay so much money for these cars and yet some ticking noise is considered normal per BMW, that's a shame.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #72
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiyny View Post
It sucks that we pay so much money for these cars and yet some ticking noise is considered normal per BMW, that's a shame.
It's not only that but the fact that we or bmw can't even figure out exactly what the noise is anyways. Blows my mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 05:32 AM   #73
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone have any updates or any more investigating on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #74
fertigulator
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (2016)

Quote:
Is anyone else having or had an issue with this?
I am having the same issue. The dealer had my car for 3 months trying to diagnose. No luck yet. Still dealing with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #75
fertigulator
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for all of your insight into this. Why would it only be under load though? That's what's strange to me. Doesn't the wastegate open during stationary reving too at that particular rpm?
Dealer replaced my turbos in hopes it was the waste gate issue. My problem never went away and the sound is still there after that repair.

Since it's a click under acceleration what about drive shaft? Something hitting it or in the way when the load hits?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #76
fertigulator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomzara View Post
So annoying that we live in XXI century but still are not able to find the source of such a loud and clear sound in a tiny 4x4x4 ft volume ...

I wonder if there is a chance to place multiple microphones in different parts of the engine bay, record audios and then compare them to detect the exact point that produces the sound with triangulation or any other computational method? I'm pretty sure this could work in multiple industries...
My dealer did just that and told me it was normal operation after "scoping and Micing" it up
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 02:07 PM   #77
fertigulator
Rep

I've been trying to diagnose this issue for a while now. The car spent 3 months with the dealer. They mic'd it, scoped it, probed it and even replaced the turbos for the wastegate possibility. The end result is the car still makes the sounds and I got new turbos. They said it sounds like normal operation when placed side-by-side with the same year x5. I find that hard to believe. Speeding off from little kids birthday parties in my clinking tin can is embarrassing.

Here is my sound: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Y1bFE5SnNURWRB
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #78
dubs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertigulator View Post
I've been trying to diagnose this issue for a while now. The car spent 3 months with the dealer. They mic'd it, scoped it, probed it and even replaced the turbos for the wastegate possibility. The end result is the car still makes the sounds and I got new turbos. They said it sounds like normal operation when placed side-by-side with the same year x5. I find that hard to believe. Speeding off from little kids birthday parties in my clinking tin can is embarrassing.

Here is my sound: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Y1bFE5SnNURWRB
I had my turbo replaced as well with no luck and it seems a few had even there engine replaced with same outcome. I've also changed engine oil from OEM to liqui moly(higher viscosity), changed all fluids which included TC, ATF, front/rear diff and as I assumed still the same
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 06:22 AM   #79
fertigulator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
I had my turbo replaced as well with no luck and it seems a few had even there engine replaced with same outcome. I've also changed engine oil from OEM to liqui moly(higher viscosity), changed all fluids which included TC, ATF, front/rear diff and as I assumed still the same
Wow . Last night I took the advice of another in the group and tested in "SPORT" mode and "COMFORT". For me, I can confirm the sound goes almost completely away while engaged in SPORT mode and the higher rev, but when switching back to COMFORT the sound reappears, almost instantaneously. Even in "ECO" mode, I get the sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 07:39 AM   #80
gershon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Wow . Last night I took the advice of another in the group and tested in "SPORT" mode and "COMFORT". For me, I can confirm the sound goes almost completely away while engaged in SPORT mode and the higher rev, but when switching back to COMFORT the sound reappears, almost instantaneously. Even in "ECO" mode, I get the sound.
Switching to Sport mode has helped me too, but the noise is still there, you just don't hear it as much, since the rpms are higher on average, and this seems to have an effect.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:17 PM   #81
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

My engine was replaced for the exact same symptoms you described. Brand new engine from Bmw. (Warranty). Car still makes the exact same noise lol
      10-06-2021, 11:34 PM   #82
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

BMW TSB #310314

https://m.carcomplaints.com/BMW/X5/2...b-310314.shtml

Our 2018 was 3 times at the dealership for the noise as mentioned at page #1.

Finally got fixed!

SUBJECT
Clicking Noise from Front Axle
MODEL
F15 (X5)
SITUATION
A high-pitched metallic clicking noise is heard from the front axle when taking off from a stop or during a load
reversal (reverse to drive).
CAUSE
The preset axial play in the input flange to pinion bearings of the front differential may create a metal-on-metal
“crack” noise when load reversing.
CORRECTION
Remove the input flange from the front differential (refer to Repair Instruction RA 31 51 010).
Do not replace any parts when performing the repair (the input flange seal stays installed).
Appreciate 2
dubs37.50
      10-07-2021, 07:03 AM   #83
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: F15 35iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
BMW TSB #310314

https://m.carcomplaints.com/BMW/X5/2...b-310314.shtml

Our 2018 was 3 times at the dealership for the noise as mentioned at page #1.

Finally got fixed!

SUBJECT
Clicking Noise from Front Axle
MODEL
F15 (X5)
SITUATION
A high-pitched metallic clicking noise is heard from the front axle when taking off from a stop or during a load
reversal (reverse to drive).
CAUSE
The preset axial play in the input flange to pinion bearings of the front differential may create a metal-on-metal
“crack” noise when load reversing.
CORRECTION
Remove the input flange from the front differential (refer to Repair Instruction RA 31 51 010).
Do not replace any parts when performing the repair (the input flange seal stays installed).
I think we are discussing different noises in this topic. Mine (and some others people) definitely produces the ticking from the right side, and the front differential is on the left.
Additionally, there is no sound when load reversing and it only happens on warm engine.
Can you please check the videos on page #2 and #3 to make sure yours sounded the same?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 07:14 AM   #84
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Since it's a click under acceleration what about drive shaft? Something hitting it or in the way when the load hits?
Hard to say, but in that case the noise would be constant and depend on RPM I believe. But it's not. On my vehicle, I can make it ticking randomly under certain conditions: driving uphill and playing with the gas pedal (keeping RPM between 1200-1400). Doing this, I'm able to get some single ticks at very random rate with random delays before each of them. If it would be the shaft, the noise would be constant rate that depends on the shaft RPM, right?

On the other side, pushing the gas pedal even more and thus getting 1700-2000 RPM, the sound becomes much more frequent and seems to be quite constant (?).

P.S. And again, the font axle shaft is located on the left side, though the sound goes from right...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 07:22 AM   #85
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Okay, some got new turbo, some got new engine with no luck...
I wonder what else could it be? Catalytic converter? Some part of exhaust?

The guy from the 335i video on page 2 mentioned that the sound went away after replacing the exhaust with some custom/tuned one.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 10:28 AM   #86
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomzara View Post
I think we are discussing different noises in this topic. Mine (and some others people) definitely produces the ticking from the right side, and the front differential is on the left.
Additionally, there is no sound when load reversing and it only happens on warm engine.
Can you please check the videos on page #2 and #3 to make sure yours sounded the same?
Exactly the noise we had! However only uphill... coming from the right side.

Our vehicle was at the dealership for 3 weeks and got fixed as mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 06:27 AM   #87
sergiyny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Exactly the noise we had! However only uphill... coming from the right side.

Our vehicle was at the dealership for 3 weeks and got fixed as mentioned.
I might take my car back to the dealership and show them this report.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #88
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

This is referencing the front diff tho with the axles. This wouldn't have a bearing on those with S drive that have the same noise tho I would assume
Appreciate 0