BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #23
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascotgrun View Post
After all that back and forth, I am finally ISTAfied. Found a website with a pay download option so I went for it. Already tried it out on my car and found that the sunroof had an error and needed to be re initialized or something. I was able to click various clicks and complete it.

Feel much better having a good diagnostic option now.
It is definitely the most capable option. Has to be, the dealers and BMW use it.

I am in the process of finding a good ICOM Next now to pair with ISTA P so I can reprogram a DDE module in our E70 that has locked itself due to DEF countdown. Lots more research. Long story... but it's always something with BMWs. Wish I enjoyed another brand as much, life would be much easier. And cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #24
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

It's certainly much easier to use than the older diagnostic software I had for my E60.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #25
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

I ordered the NT530 from FOXWELL.
I received a defective unit from them in just a few days. In the back and forth via email they just cant understand that they sent a defective unit.

DO NOT BUY from any company that fails to support their product!

DO NOT BUY from FOXWELL!
      11-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #26
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

How is it defective? This is why I bought both of mine on Ebay. Better buyer protections. Though I've had no with my units.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 06:47 PM   #27
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
How is it defective? This is why I bought both of mine on Ebay. Better buyer protections. Though I've had no with my units.
It was dead right out of the box. Would not power up using the usb cable it comes with as well as nada using the OBDII cable to both my F15 as well as the wifes F10.

They shipped a defective unit and won't acknowledge it.

Supposedly they have a "UK-US" location, try locating it. Packaging showed it shipped from China.

Any suggestions from others that have experienced this are appreciated.
      11-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #28
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
It was dead right out of the box. Would not power up using the usb cable it comes with as well as nada using the OBDII cable to both my F15 as well as the wifes F10.

They shipped a defective unit and won't acknowledge it.

Supposedly they have a "UK-US" location, try locating it. Packaging showed it shipped from China.

Any suggestions from others that have experienced this are appreciated.
File a claim with Paypal/CC. If its a DOA and they are refusing to send a replacement. That's a pretty simple case.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 12:05 AM   #29
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
File a claim with Paypal/CC. If its a DOA and they are refusing to send a replacement. That's a pretty simple case.
Yep.

But the purpose of this forum is to share our collective experience. If posting my experience is beneficial to others coming here for insight than this forum is working.

Don't support a business that won't support it's own products. Don't buy FOXWELL products.
      11-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #30
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

I was about to purchase the Foxwell, but luckily I contacted my buddy that's local who has a M5. He has a laptop with the ISTA program on it that's he's going to let me borrow. Order the TC and diff fluid today. Looking forward to changing the fluids and recalibrating the TC.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #31
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yep.

But the purpose of this forum is to share our collective experience. If posting my experience is beneficial to others coming here for insight than this forum is working.

Don't support a business that won't support it's own products. Don't buy FOXWELL products.
As mentioned, dispute it. With these Chinese companies I always either buy via Ebay or pay via Paypal with CC. Makes buyer protection much more pleasant in the rare case it's needed.

Crappy experience you're having for sure. But this is not a common issue and might be the only DOA Foxwell case I've seen on the forums. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 02:50 AM   #32
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
I was about to purchase the Foxwell, but luckily I contacted my buddy that's local who has a M5. He has a laptop with the ISTA program on it that's he's going to let me borrow. Order the TC and diff fluid today. Looking forward to changing the fluids and recalibrating the TC.
Nice. I haven't loaded ISTA, yet. But after this experience plays out I'll have to.
      11-18-2021, 03:04 AM   #33
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
As mentioned, dispute it. With these Chinese companies I always either buy via Ebay or pay via Paypal with CC. Makes buyer protection much more pleasant in the rare case it's needed.

Crappy experience you're having for sure. But this is not a common issue and might be the only DOA Foxwell case I've seen on the forums. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Yep. I expect my experience might be an outlier. I'm using their return policy, which doesn't give anyone much time when there is a problem, 30 days from date of order, but it's the deliberate stalling that they are doing in providing the address they don't publish that you have to return the defective item to IN China that is a no bueno for me.

My CC is only too happy to investigate unfortunate situations like this. We'll see how it plays out.
      11-18-2021, 05:35 AM   #34
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yep. I expect my experience might be an outlier. I'm using their return policy, which doesn't give anyone much time when there is a problem, 30 days from date of order, but it's the deliberate stalling that they are doing in providing the address they don't publish that you have to return the defective item to IN China that is a no bueno for me.

My CC is only too happy to investigate unfortunate situations like this. We'll see how it plays out.
Oh that 30 day from order thing is messed up, it should be from arrival. Sometime the product is only as good as the support around it.

Definitely check out ISTA. I have both it and NT530, IMHO purchasing 530 was a mistake and waste of money. I didn't bother trying to refund it, so now its my encase of emergency, no laptop nearby, in trunk unit.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #35
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Oh that 30 day from order thing is messed up, it should be from arrival. Sometime the product is only as good as the support around it.

Definitely check out ISTA. I have both it and NT530, IMHO purchasing 530 was a mistake and waste of money. I didn't bother trying to refund it, so now its my encase of emergency, no laptop nearby, in trunk unit.
Contacted my credit card company as well as Paypal. Both have a dispute file working.

Foxwell customer support continues to say that the sd card isn't formatted correctly! WTF

You're absolutely correct that any product is only as good as the support available for it. I'm astonished that Foxwell has really dropped the ball on this.

Stay tuned.
      11-28-2021, 06:23 PM   #36
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

This weeks update:

FOXWELLs USA distribution location will receive the returned unit this coming week.

PAYPAL took the initiative on this and motivated FOXWELL to respond, and they did. Now lets see how fast the "final" credit is posted.

Final UPDATE, Paypal processed the credit 12/2 and my CC cleared their investigation by 12/21. All good now.

Last edited by F15GorDe; 01-14-2022 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: Updated info.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 06:36 PM   #37
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I have a NT520 and ISTA in my tool box. The 520 doesn't seem to work well with the F chassis, the NT530 might fix that as others have said. I think the Foxwell NT520 does a pretty good job of doing the normal ISTA type service functions and scanning on my E90. ISTA has the manuals, and diagrams which is a pretty big plus, but ISTA has a significant learning curve of getting it setup right. ISTA typically requires a few bux for a Mega subscription to get the large downloads. If you don't want the ISTA hassle the Foxwell NT scanners do a pretty good job IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #38
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Get ISTA and call it a day. You can search and find things faster on ISTA, than having to delve into trees of stuff to find things on NT530 and waiting on slow load times.

NT530, great for a quick faults check.. or if you have time to spend.

ISTA, for everything else.. and some.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:51 PM   #39
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

My foxwell nt530 worked well right out of the box. Pretty intuitive as well.

With that being said I’ve not used ISTA, so can’t give an apples to apples comparison.

I also have a Carly and it can do a lot of random coding bits as well. Between the two I feel pretty well covered. Tho I wouldn’t buy Carly now as they area subscription service. I don’t have to pay that.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 07:33 PM   #40
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
Get ISTA and call it a day. You can search and find things faster on ISTA, than having to delve into trees of stuff to find things on NT530 and waiting on slow load times.

As I stated in a previous post I have a buddy that purchased a dedicated laptop with ISTA already downloaded (off ebay I believe). He's going to let me borrow that laptop. That being said, is ISTA pretty user friendly? Right now I'm just looking to recalibrated the transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 07:40 PM   #41
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post

As I stated in a previous post I have a buddy that purchased a dedicated laptop with ISTA already downloaded (off ebay I believe). He's going to let me borrow that laptop. That being said, is ISTA pretty user friendly? Right now I'm just looking to recalibrated the transfer case.
Yes.

You can find documents on how to do stuff and You Tube videos. What I do is every time I use it for something, I write my own easy to follow document using notepad.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2021, 09:30 PM   #42
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
I found it pretty easy. When I first tried it, it wouldn't connect but that was due to me choosing the wrong interface type. Once I got that figured out, I did a scan for errors and it found one with the sunroof. It told me what was needed to correct the error (reinitialize or recalibrate, don't remember) and I was able to go through the process.

A tutorial would have helped as I wasn't always sure that I was doing the right steps, but that's my failing as I didn't bother to educate myself first, not an indictment of the software. There were onscreen instructions and progress bars etc while going through the process, but it was after everything was done that I wasn't sure what to do next as far exiting the program properly.

My previous experience with other software such as NCS on my E60 caused a little anxiety as closing that out incorrectly can cause issues and I had one panic inducing moment where my car wouldn't start after.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 01:41 AM   #43
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Youtube is full of ISTA tutorials.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 02:24 AM   #44
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Its very easy, most difficult thing will be selecting the correct tick box for the connection type in the settings (enet) and waiting for the full vehicle discovery. Im my experience, if you dont do the full discovery, the option to execute the task will be greyd out.

I couldn't find a youtube in this, but here is a link where the guys go through you the options you need to follow.
https://cartechnology.co.uk/archive/...ead-16186.html
Appreciate 1