11-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
V8Juice
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

What should I be cautious of?

Hello all,

Long time lurker here finally getting ready to pull the trigger on an X5M. Sadly letting go of my E92 to make space for it. Anyways so Im looking at a couple 15s and 16s with roughly 40k-50k miles. What things should I be looking for at that mileage? Any maintenance items i should make sure are done prior to purchasing? I just want peace of mind purchasing one with those miles. Ive had nothing but good luck with the E9x platform so hoping to carry on that streak to the F85 platform.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Juice View Post
Hello all,

Long time lurker here finally getting ready to pull the trigger on an X5M. Sadly letting go of my E92 to make space for it. Anyways so Im looking at a couple 15s and 16s with roughly 40k-50k miles. What things should I be looking for at that mileage? Any maintenance items i should make sure are done prior to purchasing? I just want peace of mind purchasing one with those miles. Ive had nothing but good luck with the E9x platform so hoping to carry on that streak to the F85 platform.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated Thank you!
Good choice. I still have my 2007 E92 - solid vehicle, other than walnut blasting the valves every 3 years or so. As for F85/F86, I'd ensure the following:
1) Most fluids changed (wouldn't expect trans fluid changed at that mileage range but other fluids should have).
2) Oil pan checked not leaking.
3) Squealy brakes issue addressed.
4) Steering wheel column works fine (test up-down, in-out).
5) The doors soft-close feature works on all doors.
6) Ensure air suspension not leaking (vehicle level in the rears).
7) Verify spark plugs changed.
8) Verify engine air filter changed.
9) Verify BOTH cabin air filters changed (the one in the passenger side foot well often neglected during free service).
10) Front wheels chattering issue been addressed.
11) Brakes and rotors.

Good luck!

Last edited by musa; 11-16-2021 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 3
m3fuz199.00
V8Juice34.50
      11-16-2021, 07:57 AM   #3
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I have a 2015 X5M, and it has been worry free. No issues thus far. And have just gone over 70,000 miles. I'm into preventative maintenance, and have had all fluids changed, brake pads and rotors. Done a transmission, transfer case both front a rear diff services already. You have to be willing to spend the money, if you plan to keep these types of vehicles.
      11-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #4
V8Juice
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Good choice. I still have my 2007 E92 - solid vehicle, other than walnut blasting the valves every 3 years or so. As for F85/F86, I'd ensure the following:
1) Most fluids changed (wouldn't expect trans fluid changed at that mileage range but other fluids should have).
9) Verify BOTH cabin air filters changed (the one in the passenger side foot well often neglected during free service).

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
I have a 2015 X5M, and it has been worry free. No issues thus far. And have just gone over 70,000 miles. I'm into preventative maintenance, and have had all fluids changed, brake pads and rotors. Done a transmission, transfer case both front a rear diff services already. You have to be willing to spend the money, if you plan to keep these types of vehicles.
Appreciate the feedback guys! Ill definitely look over the items you had mentioned. Im pretty good at staying on top of maintenance with my M3 because I know unnecessary repairs can be costly !
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #5
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Check for a clicking noise on slow speed turns at full lock. There's a cheap fix, but could also be axles.

Not mechanical, but check the bottoms of all interior doors for water damage to the leather. Could be indicitave of drain issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #6
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
11) Brakes and rotors.

Good luck!
What is the front wheels chattering issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 08:47 PM   #7
kkowalsk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i - Sport Manual

If you can find a 17' or 18' as it will have CarPlay and a touch screen. I think wireless CarPlay is well worth it. Wait for the right one!!

Service records. Service on these vehicles is critical. Private party should have them all. Non BMW dealer especially if it's lower mileage should be able to get you at least the BMW service records and remove the prior owners names. Sometime CARFAX will show where serviced and you can call them to get records.

Body Damage. Look for any kinds of body damage inspect all the seams and gaps. Look at the paint and body outdoors for signs of bodywork like painted over chips, waves, sanding lines, color or metallic shifts, tape lines, overspray where it shouldn't be. Check the body panel bolts at the hinges and under the hood to see if they have chipped off paint from being removed.

If you can find a southern car even better that hasn't seen salt. I'm in the south and flew to Atlanta for mine and drove it 11hrs back. Private party from a great professional guy that took amazing care of it, all records, warranty, new tires, it was perfect.

Warranty. Cool part of a private party buy that they don't tell you is if the vehicle still has a CPO warranty BMW can transfer to you for $250. Once it goes to a dealer the CPO warranty disappears. In my case the service warranty was registered to the car not a person so that didn't matter. The warranties have been really worth it, I didn't have to buy them and can extend later if I want.
Appreciate 1
musa421.50
      11-19-2021, 10:06 PM   #8
blown99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
Check for a clicking noise on slow speed turns at full lock. There's a cheap fix, but could also be axles.

Not mechanical, but check the bottoms of all interior doors for water damage to the leather. Could be indicitave of drain issues.
A lot of them will have what looks like water damage at the bottom of the door however not indicative of actual water damage. This is a known issue on the doors. I got all 4 replaced under warranty, was a crazy expensive job but they covered it all.

Get it inspected for any timing chain leak, mine was leaking at like 35k miles and they did the replacement, full engine out job so glad it was under warranty. Don't think it's common but something to look for

Great rides for sure!
Appreciate 1
musa421.50
      11-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #9
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Paint Erosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkowalsk View Post
If you can find a 17' or 18' as it will have CarPlay and a touch screen. I think wireless CarPlay is well worth it. Wait for the right one!!

Service records. Service on these vehicles is critical. Private party should have them all. Non BMW dealer especially if it's lower mileage should be able to get you at least the BMW service records and remove the prior owners names. Sometime CARFAX will show where serviced and you can call them to get records.

Body Damage. Look for any kinds of body damage inspect all the seams and gaps. Look at the paint and body outdoors for signs of bodywork like painted over chips, waves, sanding lines, color or metallic shifts, tape lines, overspray where it shouldn't be. Check the body panel bolts at the hinges and under the hood to see if they have chipped off paint from being removed.

If you can find a southern car even better that hasn't seen salt. I'm in the south and flew to Atlanta for mine and drove it 11hrs back. Private party from a great professional guy that took amazing care of it, all records, warranty, new tires, it was perfect.

Warranty. Cool part of a private party buy that they don't tell you is if the vehicle still has a CPO warranty BMW can transfer to you for $250. Once it goes to a dealer the CPO warranty disappears. In my case the service warranty was registered to the car not a person so that didn't matter. The warranties have been really worth it, I didn't have to buy them and can extend later if I want.
To get even more specific, the paint will erode just behind all four wheels due to rocks and sand being kicked up. More noticeable on some colors than others. Buy some of the Tommy Garage mudflaps, you can do a search on Tommy. I have them and they're low profile but very functional. It's a very real problem, got almost my entire vehicle repainted partially because of this issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 11:12 AM   #10
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Someone else mentioned gaskets and/or oil leaks I believe. I have had two "minor" oil leaks in my engine. Nothing that required adding oil either, so they were tough to find.

My indy shop found literally one drop of oil and it turned out to be an issue with a gasket or something at the oil filter or pan or something. (I forget) Then he found another drop or few of oil near the bell housing and it turned out to be coming from the upper oil pan which is rare. My tech had to work with the BMW engineers to pinpoint the problem, drop the tranny, and perform the work. It took three weeks and if out of warranty would have probably cost me thousands.

Get and use a very strong indy shop to evaluate everything mechanical especially engine and oil gaskets, valves, and any leaks.

The other minor issue that almost escaped me was the passenger side mirror fold down can act up, along with the soft-close door function that someone else also mentioned. Both are things that you'll never miss if you forget that they're available to you. (and if you're not used to them like me)
Appreciate 0