BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-23-2021, 06:50 PM   #1
kevoncox
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Questionable Dealer Experience: What should I do?

My 2014 X5 50i (65k miles) is currently at a Washington DC area BMW service center and I believe that I am being taken advantage of. I have gotten some questionable information from them and when called on it, they deny it is a problem. Seeking some advice from you guys on how to navigate this issue. The entire situation is below.

1. Told that 6 initiation coils went bad at the same time.
I took my car to a non-dealer service center for an oil change. Car suffered a drivetrain malfunction about 6 hours later. Had it towed to a BMW dealer who ran a diagnostic and found misfires on 6 out of 8 coils. They recommended that I change the coils and the plugs. I told them the plugs were recently changed 4 months ago. I find it hard to believe that 6 plugs could go bad at the same time. I was told that it is not unusual to see that happen. A friend of the family that is a mechanic for 30+ years says otherwise.

2. 200+% markup on battery replacement.
Had an ambient light issue that I asked them to look at. They diagnosed it and I was told that the issue was my two batteries were going bad. The quote to replace was $1100. I laughed and told him I wouldn't be paying that. Googled the cost on BMWUSASERVICE and the cost was $485 installed. Pressed him to agree that this is the amount I would be charged. What's that a 220% markup ?

3. Told my warranty wouldn't cover things that it does.
Regarded the ignition coils. I was told my 3rd party warranty company wouldn't be accepted because they had problems with payments in the past. Asked him to check. Turns out he was mistaken. Told my coils would not be covered. Asked him to check. Turns out it was covered. Quoted $1500 to change that would have been my responsibility had I not insisted. Also unsure if $1500 to change is reasonable.

4. Coincidental additional check engine light issue.
I'll keep this concise. As mentioned, the issue was attributed to the 6 ignition coils. Those were replaced and on a test drive, a *NEW* check engine light code came on suggesting a High-Pressure Fuel Pump had gone bad. I asked why it did not trigger before and was told it is just a coincidence that just it went bad and wasn't the cause of the misfires. Found an X5 recall that covers the HPFP but only for the 35i. Still covered under warranty

5. 30% markup on Broken Crank Vent Tubing
After fixing the High-Pressure pump, x5 was found to also have a broken Crank Vent Tubing. I can confirm that it wasn't broken before so I asked the cost. The dealer was nice enough not to charge labor for installation . I asked for the price and was told it would be $650. Given the previous shady pricing, I googled the price of the part numbers and found them for sale at various BMWs in the area for below the MSRP of $450. Prices ranged from $430 to $480. I questioned why I was charged $200 over MSRP and was told that the price they quoted was their best price but they could waive $60 off of it. I did the math and realized to have it installed at this time at another dealer would require at least an hour of installation and would be about the same. I accepted the $590 as another dealer said each dealer is free to set their own prices.

6. Poor communication and delays.
Dealer did not return call from warranty company which resulted in a delay over the weekend. Service Advisor promises to follow up but I find myself constantly having to reach out to ask for an update when the time passes that I was promised. Spoke to Service Manager, he promised to call me and failed to do so as well. I know my car isn't a 2021 x5 but I expect competent service for the amount of money that I am being charged.

7. My car problem is still unsolved.
After all the fixes and unexpected issues. The check engine light on my x5 came back on while the technician was testing it before returning it to me. This occurred today at 2PM and I requested an update before the service center closed. No update was given and at this point, I am truly frustrated as this would be the 4th problem I am being asked to fix on a car that as of last week was running with no signs of problems or issues.

Last edited by kevoncox; 11-23-2021 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
My 2014 X5 50i (65k miles) is currently at the Washington DC area BMW service center and I believe that I am being taken advantage of. I have gotten some questionable information from them and when called on it, they deny it is a problem. Seeking some advice from you guys on how to navigate this issue. The entire situation is below.

1. Told that 6 initiation coils went bad at the same time.
I took my car to a non-dealer service center for an oil change. Car suffered a drivetrain malfunction. Had it towed to BMW dealer who ran a diagnostic and found misfires on 6 out of 8 coils. They recommended that I change the coils and the plugs. I told them the plugs were recently changed 4 months ago. I find it hard to believe that 6 plugs could go bad at the same time. I was told that it is not unusual to see that happen. A friend of the family that is a mechanic for 30+ years says otherwise.

2. 200+% markup on battery replacement.
Had an ambient light issue that I asked them to look at. They diagnosed it and I was told that the issue was my two batteries were going bad. The quote to replace was $1100. I laughed at told him I wouldn't be paying that. Googled the cost on BMWUSASERVICE and the cost was $485 installed. Pressed him to agree that this is the amount I would be charged. Whats that a 220% markup ?

3. Told my warranty wouldn't cover things that it does.
Regarded the ignition coils. I was told my 3rd party warranty company wouldn't be accepted because they had problems with payments in the past. Asked him to check. Turns out he was mistaken. Told my coils would not be covered. Asked him to check. Turns out it was covered. Quoted $1500 to change that would have been my responsibility had I not insisted. Also unsure if $1500 to change is reasonable.

4. Coincidental additional check engine light issue.
I'll keep this concise. As mentioned, the issue was attributed to the 6 ignition coils. Those were replaced and on a test drive, a *NEW* check engine light code came on suggesting a High-Pressure Fuel Pump had gone bad. I asked why it did not trigger before and was told it is just a coincidence that just it went bad and wasn't the cause of the misfires. Found an X5 recall that covers the HPFP but only for the 35i. Still covered under warranty

5. 30% markup on Broken Crank Vent Tubing
After fixing the High-Pressure pump, x5 was found to also have a broken Crank Vent Tubing. I can confirm that it wasn't broken before so I asked the cost. The dealer was nice enough not to charge labor for installation . I asked for the price and was told it would be $650. Given the previous shady pricing, I googled the price of the part numbers and found them for sale at various BMWs in the area for below the MSRP of $450. Prices ranged from $430 to $480. I questioned why I was charged $200 over MSRP and was told that the price they quoted was their best price but they could waive $60 off of it. I did the math and realized to have it installed at this time at another dealer would require at least an hour of installation and would be about the same. I accepted the $590 as another dealer said each dealer is free to set their own prices.

6. Poor communication and delays.
Dealer did not return call from warranty company which resulted in a delay over the weekend. Service Advisor promises to follow up but I find myself constantly having to reach out to ask for an update when the time passes that I was promised. Spoke to Service Manager, he promised to call me and failed to do so as well. I know my car isn't a 2021 x5 but I expect competent service for the amount of money that I am being charged.

7. My car problem is still unsolved.
After all the fixes and unexpected issues. The check engine light on my x5 came back on while the technician was testing it before returning it to me. This occurred today at 2PM and I requested an update before the service center closed. No update was given and at this point, I am truly frustrated as this would be the 4th problem I am being asked to fix on a car that as of last week was running with no signs of problems or issues.
Which dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #3
phipark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 Montego Blue

dealers can be hit or miss. go to another one. I have a friend that used to have a 535 and the dealer said you need to replace all coils, plugs and injectors after a valve cleaning. quoting about $5k.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipark View Post
dealers can be hit or miss. go to another one. I have a friend that used to have a 535 and the dealer said you need to replace all coils, plugs and injectors after a valve cleaning. quoting about $5k.
I went to this dealer after another bad dealer experience. Im not even an anal customer. Usually I pay what ever I am told but this was so absurd, it just rubbed me the wrong way.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 09:33 PM   #5
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Dealer has gone on to change out last to ignition coils under an extension notice (probably should have changed all 8 but decided to get paid on it). Car returned to me, 5 miles later drivetrain malfunction returns.

Last edited by kevoncox; 11-26-2021 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:59 PM   #6
topspeed55
Rep

Very doubtful the HPFP was a coincidence with the misfires. It is true the 50i are known to eat up spark plugs for lunch. You might want to at least get them checked out.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #7
crabapple555
Private
Rep
Drives: A6 & F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Which dealer?
Sounds like Bmw of Rockville
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:05 AM   #8
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Tenafly went on joyrides in my previous X5M put 60 miles on it. Pieces of trash.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2021, 11:08 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

To the OP…the N63TU engine has extended warranties (10 years/120,000 miles) in regard to the 4 areas listed below. The HPFP for the N63TU has an extended warranty…not just for the F15 X5 35i:
1. Pressure Switch for Leak Diagnosis Module (NVDL)
2. Engine Fuel Injectors
3. High Pressure Fuel Pump
4. Engine Crankcase Ventilation Lines (2)
You may need to look into if your issues are from failing fuel injectors or the HPFP. If you are below 120k miles…you may fall under an extended warranty. See the info below which has the SIB (service information bulletin) numbers that your seemingly uninformed dealership is not pulling up.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:05 PM   #10
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
To the OP…the N63TU engine has extended warranties (10 years/120,000 miles) in regard to the 4 areas listed below. The HPFP for the N63TU has an extended warranty…not just for the F15 X5 35i:
1. Pressure Switch for Leak Diagnosis Module (NVDL)
2. Engine Fuel Injectors
3. High Pressure Fuel Pump
4. Engine Crankcase Ventilation Lines (2)
You may need to look into if your issues are from failing fuel injectors or the HPFP. If you are below 120k miles…you may fall under an extended warranty. See the info below which has the SIB (service information bulletin) numbers that your seemingly uninformed dealership is not pulling up.

Good luck.
Thanks. I ran the service notice for the crankcase ventilation lines and my X5 fell outside of that notice. It's for 2015s and Newer. What the hell happened in 2014? Not sure. Its also not fuel injectors but instead ignition coils.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #11
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple555 View Post
Sounds like Bmw of Rockville
BMW of Silver Spring.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:21 AM   #12
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Using a Foxwell reader to pull codes might help others to offer the best advice. imho.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #13
crabapple555
Private
Rep
Drives: A6 & F15

Quote:
BMW of Silver Spring.
Sorry to hear this and I know it's very frustrating and I hope you have a loaner. I get a loaner from Silver Spring for oil changes too and they don't work with 3rd party insurance.

If you want to try something else as plan b approach, you can go to S2 dynamics. Talk to Pat he is the owner. He can also work with your insurance.

Good luck and hope everything works out!

Last edited by crabapple555; 11-27-2021 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #14
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat_F15_STL View Post
Using a Foxwell reader to pull codes might help others to offer the best advice. imho.
I don't have my car at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #15
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Just got off the phone with the dealer.
They now believe that the issue is leaking intake pipes. They want me to pay $657 to replace (not covered under warranty). Main parts for the repairs are 13717638569 and 13717638568. MSRP $55 each, although MSRP means nothing to these guys as they tried to charge me $200 over MSRP for the charge venting.

Asked why this wasn't a known issue all along and was told that it must have happened after they fixed the coils and HPFP.

I voiced my concerns that this seems to be a never ending list of things that just *happen* to go wrong after the *correct* problem was fixed and that I believe the previous issues that were addressed and paid for were done so incorrectly. I told them that I would like the labor for the install waived because if this was correctly dx'd the first time, it could have been fixed concurrently.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #16
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
They now believe that the issue is leaking intake pipes. They want me to pay $657 to replace (not covered under warranty). Main parts for the repairs are 13717638569 and 13717638568. MSRP $55 each, although MSRP means nothing to these guys as they tried to charge me $200 over MSRP for the charge venting.

Asked why this wasn't a known issue all along and was told that it must have happened after they fixed the coils and HPFP.

I voiced my concerns that this seems to be a never ending list of things that just *happen* to go wrong after the *correct* problem was fixed and that I believe the previous issues that were addressed and paid for were done so incorrectly. I told them that I would like the labor for the install waived because if this was correctly dx'd the first time, it could have been fixed concurrently.
Speak with the GM of service let them know to fix it under warranty if they don't take it to another dealer and let the previous dealer know you want your money back for the previous botched work.
      11-30-2021, 06:16 PM   #17
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Quote:

Feel your pain .... Going back in time I had an issue with a brand new expensive Sienna van we bought. I got the run-around from the Service Manager and his solution wasn't satisfactory. I went back to the car, sat there a minute and said D@mn it, I'm not going to accept this. I went back in, asked to speak to the Sales Manager and voiced my concern and told him they state great service as part of their sales pitch. If this is great service I'll never buy from this dealership again and be sure to let as many people as I can know how I was treated. Well ..... that got some attention! He got the Service Mgr, myself and him and we went into a conference room. We went over the situation, the Sales Mgr. was pretty stern with the Service Manager and told him specifically what he was to do. They got the East Coast (lived in MD at the time) Service advisor (basically a service technical escalation person) involved. From that point on, they fixed my issue and treated me like royalty. Moral of the story, get sales involved and let them know how you are treated will affect future purchasing decisions. If that doesn't get you anywhere, change dealerships as they obviously don't give a d@amn.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2021, 06:45 PM   #18
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-X5 View Post
Feel your pain .... Going back in time I had an issue with a brand new expensive Sienna van we bought. I got the run-around from the Service Manager and his solution wasn't satisfactory. I went back to the car, sat there a minute and said D@mn it, I'm not going to accept this. I went back in, asked to speak to the Sales Manager and voiced my concern and told him they state great service as part of their sales pitch. If this is great service I'll never buy from this dealership again and be sure to let as many people as I can know how I was treated. Well ..... that got some attention! He got the Service Mgr, myself and him and we went into a conference room. We went over the situation, the Sales Mgr. was pretty stern with the Service Manager and told him specifically what he was to do. They got the East Coast (lived in MD at the time) Service advisor (basically a service technical escalation person) involved. From that point on, they fixed my issue and treated me like royalty. Moral of the story, get sales involved and let them know how you are treated will affect future purchasing decisions. If that doesn't get you anywhere, change dealerships as they obviously don't give a d@amn.
Thats a good thought. Only hiccup might be that I didn't buy the car at this BMW dealership. Sales might be hesitant to step in.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #19
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Car is apparently ready. Didn't go and get it this evening because I truly believe that I will take it and within 10 miles it will be back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #20
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Car is apparently ready. Didn't go and get it this evening because I truly believe that I will take it and within 10 miles it will be back to the dealer.
Picked up car. Drove 5 miles, issue returned. I haven't blown up on anyone and as a result, the pope is considering me for Sainthood.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #21
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Service center at Bmw of Silver Spring is not straight forward to deal with. They will find ways to try to charge you as much as they can. You have to be well prepared (research on prices, look at deals/coupon on their website, etc) to play against them to drive down on prices, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

They wouldn't apply their deals automatically unless you showed them. Either the SA played dumb or they had no idea what's going on.

Very different than their online parts department (getbmwparts) which is straight forward and very helpful.

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #22
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
Service center at Bmw of Silver Spring is not straight forward to deal with. They will find ways to try to charge you as much as they can. You have to be well prepared (research on prices, look at deals/coupon on their website, etc) to play against them to drive down on prices, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

They wouldn't apply their deals automatically unless you showed them. Either the SA played dumb or they had no idea what's going on.

Very different than their online parts department (getbmwparts) which is straight forward and very helpful.
SAs are often 100% on commission.

Nightmare.

Find a good independent. Never look back.
Appreciate 0