BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-27-2021, 12:53 PM   #1
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

2016 X5- Spare key not working

I tried to verify our spare key fob for our '16 X5 was still working after sitting a drawer for 3 years, it was not. Its battery voltage was down to 2.4v so I replaced it. New battery measured 3.2 volts, spare key still does not work. By not work I mean I can't lock or unlock the car using either CA or buttons on the fob. Daily use key works fine. Do I need to re-sync the fob with the car, or something else to get it to work again? I found nothing in the manual that would help.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Does the remote that was in the drawer still start the vehicle? If yes, then make sure the battery is making good contact (reinstall it…or swap the battery from the working remote).

If it doesn’t start the vehicle…then follow the instructions from the owners manual…place the remote next to the little icon on the right side of the steering column.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Does the remote that was in the drawer still start the vehicle? If yes, then make sure the battery is making good contact (reinstall it…or swap the battery from the working remote).

If it doesn’t start the vehicle…then follow the instructions from the owners manual…place the remote next to the little icon on the right side of the steering column.
Drawer remote will not allow car to start unless it is held next to the icon on the side of the steering column.

Battery in drawer remote is a new lithium that measures 3.2 volts. I wiped off the battery and cleaned the contacts on the remote. Still a no go.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 06:29 AM   #4
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

Drawer remote will not allow car to start unless it is held next to the icon on the side of the steering column.

Battery in drawer remote is a new lithium that measures 3.2 volts. I wiped off the battery and cleaned the contacts on the remote. Still a no go.

Jim
So now you know the key still has valid credentials but they don't get transmitted.

Suggest you bring the key to a BMW SA, they have a desktop unit where they "read" the key, maybe they can tell how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 07:56 AM   #5
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
So now you know the key still has valid credentials but they don't get transmitted.

Suggest you bring the key to a BMW SA, they have a desktop unit where they "read" the key, maybe they can tell how to fix it.
Yea, I was hoping to avoid a 3 hr drive to the nearest dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #6
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep

Progress. I have 3 new batteries for the fob, all of them read over 3.2volts, none of them work in the drawer fob. The battery in the working fob reads 3.0volts. I swapped batteries between the drawer fob and the working fob, and now the drawer fob works! I have no idea why none of the 3 new batteries work in either fob. The only working battery is the original one that came with the car when I bought it Nov 2015. The working battery is a Panasonic and the "-" terminal is slightly different in shape than the others. It has a ridge around the outside edge, the others, 2 Duracell 1 Energizer, are flat. I'm off to find a Panasonic battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:57 AM   #7
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Progress. I have 3 new batteries for the fob, all of them read over 3.2volts, none of them work in the drawer fob. The battery in the working fob reads 3.0volts. I swapped batteries between the drawer fob and the working fob, and now the drawer fob works! I have no idea why none of the 3 new batteries work in either fob. The only working battery is the original one that came with the car when I bought it Nov 2015. The working battery is a Panasonic and the "-" terminal is slightly different in shape than the others. It has a ridge around the outside edge, the others, 2 Duracell 1 Energizer, are flat. I'm off to find a Panasonic battery.
You sure you got a 2032 and not a 2030 in error? They're identical at a glance but 2030 is thinner. Sometimes, they can be interchangeable but sometimes the thinner 2030 won't make proper contact.

Don't ask how I know…:
Appreciate 2
ajob456.00
      11-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
You just don't give up...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:01 PM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I actually appreciate you starting this thread as my second fob is experiencing the exact same issue you are. Drawer fob either drains new battery very quickly, or doesn't work at all.

So if I am reading everything correctly, they are very sensitive to a particular battery?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:00 PM   #10
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep

I couldn't find a Panasonic battery. I could only find another Duracell battery. The new Duracell battery had a different "-" contact than the first one I had. Annndddd it worked!!! Now both fobs are working correctly.
Based on my limited experience, it does look like the fobs are sensitive to battery manufactures. For the life of me I can't figure out why.
I am also curious why the fob that I have used daily since I bought the car Nov 2015 the battery voltage was only down to 3.0 volts. But the fob that sat in the drawer, unused in 3 years, and rarely used before that, was down to 2.5 volts. New batteries read 3.2 volts.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just a tip: I change fobs at every DST (daylight saving time) change over. That way each remote wears equally and it gives me an idea of each remote battery’s health.

If that’s too often for anyone…a specific day could be adopted for fob switch-over like a birthday, holiday, or anniversary etc.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:56 PM   #12
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

One little thing which gave me similar issue was the clear plastic sticker on the battery, tried few different batteries before I realized there is a sticker there.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 08:00 AM   #13
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep

I have read about others finding a clear plastic stickers on their batteries. I measured each battery before trying it and moved my lead around the face to make sure there was good contact everywhere.
The last set of batteries I bought for the fob were labeled that they has some nasty tasting stuff put on them to discourage kids from putting them in their mouth. First time I had seen something like that. I hope whatever it is doesn't cause an issue down the road with the fob.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 05:06 PM   #14
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I used Energizer brand in both my fobs without any issues. Well one FOB will occasionally cause the "no key found" message or whatever that is but it still works?.

When I bought the car the dealer only had one original key but got a second made by a locksmith. I suspect it's that locksmith key that gives the message but to be honest I am not sure which key is the copy.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 05:58 PM   #15
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Quote:
I couldn't find a Panasonic battery. I could only find another Duracell battery. The new Duracell battery had a different "-" contact than the first one I had. Annndddd it worked!!! Now both fobs are working correctly.
Based on my limited experience, it does look like the fobs are sensitive to battery manufactures. For the life of me I can't figure out why.
I am also curious why the fob that I have used daily since I bought the car Nov 2015 the battery voltage was only down to 3.0 volts. But the fob that sat in the drawer, unused in 3 years, and rarely used before that, was down to 2.5 volts. New batteries read 3.2 volts.
If your spare battery was in a drawer or located near others electronic devices, or was situated such that something could have been pressing on a button, that could explain the storage drain.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:50 AM   #16
doberman68
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 5.0 msport

I had a similar issue as mentioned above using different brands of battery for my key fob. I went on Amazon and bought the 4 pack of Panasonic and my fob now works again . It does seem to make better contact than the other brands I tried . Hope this helps .
Appreciate 1
P111569.00
      12-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #17
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberman68 View Post
I had a similar issue as mentioned above using different brands of battery for my key fob. I went on Amazon and bought the 4 pack of Panasonic and my fob now works again . It does seem to make better contact than the other brands I tried . Hope this helps .
Panasonic it is, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 09:20 AM   #18
NCvidPro
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

The Key Fob Mystery!

Many thanks for posting this topic and threads! You've confirmed my frustration and revealed the 7% Solution!!!
Same experience with my 2 fobs (1 works other didn't). Both batteries tested the same power level. And yes, swapping the batteries the 2nd fob worked... any yet same battery make and lot (off brand).
Then installed a new battery from the same off brand and lot, it worked....
I did take your advice in ordering the Panasonic for extra measure.

All the best,
Sam
Appreciate 0