BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #23
N7_Prolific
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 f15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javila View Post
Got the bumper painted as well as the reflectors and washer covers! Everything is assembled and ready to go! So far, the only parts behind the bumper that I have needed were the camera holder, and the brackets for the fender flares. As stated above, some of those holes for the brackets to snap in needed a little tiny bit of trimming. Paint came out great! All the OEM BMW grills and mesh fit like a glove.
Im hoping tomorrow I find some time to install. Tonight, I’ll be using epoxy to attach the washer covers (mine doesn’t have the actual headlight washers) and the painted reflectors. So far everything has been straightforward.
Here are some pictures in the meantime...
I'm the owner of a 50i but it's not the M sport. However I want to do this same bumper conversation. could anyone tell me if my f15 can take that conversation? [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:56 PM   #24
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Yes.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #25
N7_Prolific
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 f15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Yes.
Thanks man. Am just about to start my build but doing my cosmetic stuff first. Could you tell where do I start from in ordering the parts for the conversation. As any one on here ever heard of forza performance group? They offer to sell me the entire x5m conversation kit both back and front bumper. But I don't know if they are legit.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:40 PM   #26
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7_Prolific View Post
Thanks man. Am just about to start my build but doing my cosmetic stuff first. Could you tell where do I start from in ordering the parts for the conversation. As any one on here ever heard of forza performance group? They offer to sell me the entire x5m conversation kit both back and front bumper. But I don't know if they are legit.
Parts list is on the first page, you can get these from any part supplier of you choice ecstuning.com fcpeuro.com getbmwparts.com etc etc etc. There are many companies making aftermarket body kits for F15 all over the world. Google reviews and see if they are legit.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:35 AM   #27
t1le
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, E36 M3, E34 535i

Where did you order the front bumper from Javila? Possible to post the link? TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:02 AM   #28
Big Lu
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBulldog View Post
I had the grills all painted in Gloss Black... and I also did the Rear Conversion
Looks amazing

What was needed to do the rear conversion?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:09 AM   #29
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Hi, do you happen to still have your rear oem bumper space gray? If so would you consider selling it?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:11 PM   #30
ATL_XFive
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M Sport.

Subscribed!! Please post updates!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #31
ATL_XFive
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M Sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBulldog View Post
I had the grills all painted in Gloss Black... and I also did the Rear Conversion
Where did you get the front and rear bumper from?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #32
ranma21
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Lexus LX570 Toyota LC

Can't wait to see it too.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 02:12 AM   #33
RV
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 50i F15

Quote:
Thank you for the info! I seem to be on the right track then as that's pretty much what I ordered.
Here is the list of parts (including bumper) that I had ordered:
51-11-8-066-732 M Bumper cover
51-11-8-056-302 Absorber
51-11-8-066-726 Tow Bracket Cover
51-11-8-056-289 Adapter
51-11-8-056-290 Adapter
51-11-8-066-729 Lmp Washer Cover
51-11-8-066-730 Lmp Washer Cover
51-11-8-056-341 Center Grille
51-11-8-056-342 Center Grille Holder
51-11-8-056-259 Lower Grille
51-11-8-056-261 Outer lower Grille left
51-11-8-056-262 Outer lower Grille right

This all came to under 500$ (not including bumper) shipped. I already had purchased the slanted M grills from RGSPORT. If these are all the parts that I need, then all the bits and pieces necessary to install, seem to be the obvious parts necessary for it to be visually complete. I have updated my original post to include pictures of the project car
Javila I am thinking to do the same, but I am stuck at something. My vehicle is equipped with ACC and comes with a radar sensor. If possible, can I get some guidance on whether that can be moved to the F85 Bumper? Or I will have to completly lose that functionality. I would highly appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 07:36 AM   #34
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

I don't think that the F85s had ACC as an option (the steering wheel buttons are used for M1 and M2 settings instead) so finding OEM mounting parts for ACC from an X5M is highly unlikely or impossible. I haven't looked at it (I have an M Sport with ACC) but it may be possible to transfer it over with some creative bracket fabrication/modification as the lower areas where the sensor lives of both the M Sport and X5M are not completely different on the surface. If you're really lucky it's just a straight swap of the mounting hardware (if you have an M Sport - I think the non-M Sport mount is different altogether). In the end I suspect it's quite doable but not with F85 parts. I'm sure some here would be interested how you make out with that.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #35
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Got my bumper installed and also trimmed the driver side vent slightly to take care of the fitment issue. Also swapped the digital cluster and LED headlights installed on my 40E finally! Loving it !

Mirrors, rear bumper and extra body bits coming later….. have the stock M brake calipers but need the rotors so that maybe in spring time !

(Led refresh on cluster pulses in camera so in the pic the gas gauge looks off but it's working)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 05:42 PM   #36
Javila
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2017 X5 M SPORT

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the radar system @RV.

-C- Your ride looks fantastic!! Great job! I didn't run into the issue with having to trim anything, it was just a straight swap.

I have my M rear bumper getting painted right now!

I am curious about your instrument cluster though, I have seen many threads regarding that swap, but there's a lot of conflicting information as well. Would you mind discussing via PM?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 10:33 AM   #37
Javila
Enlisted Member
Rep

I got the rear bumper painted, and nearly installed, until I realized that all the rear mounting points have to be replaced. It was about another 2 weeks wait and several hundred dollars of mounting brackets..
I received all the brackets, installed them, and then realized that the brackets for the lane assist ALSO need to be replaced. So now it’s another waiting game for those. Unfortunately nothing is local and can be had from the dealer. They can be ordered from the dealer, but the wait time is still lengthy and the prices are considerably higher than from other sites.

So far for this rear conversion, I have bought:

1 rear bumper - included the tow hook covers
1 rear diffuser
1 rear diffuser insert
1 pair of Acexxon reflector delete in gloss black
4 mounting brackets for bumper
2 mounting brackets for lane assist
And of course, the paint job.

This rear conversion was not as straightforward as the front. I had to cut the rear trapezoid exhaust tips to even get the bumper on for test fitting. If you are doing this at home yourself, you’ll want to cut off those tips, get the bumper on right, and then take it to muffler shop for final fabrication of a custom set up. If left as is, you will have the pipes covered by the bumper, and where the X5M tips usually come out, you’ll have your stock muffler blocking that.

Not a very fun conversion, but hopefully this helps others to not make the same mistakes that I did. I don’t think I’ve seen a parts list or a detailed exhuast modification for this project.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 10:42 AM   #38
Javila
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here are some pictures of the rear. Hopefully gives you all a better idea as to what’s going on. The red circled areas are all mounts/brackets that need to be replaced to match the x5m bumper. The blue is the exhaust where I cut to allow the bumper to fit properly. And the yellow is the stock muffler that runs sideways and will ultimately block the cutouts on the new x5m bumper.

I have yet to figure out the best way to do the exhaust once this is all said and done, so any input would be great. My f15 is an Xdrive 35i. A single 3” pipe going into the stock muffler, then split to two. I really don’t want to make this loud and obnoxious.

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 07:09 PM   #39
Javila
Enlisted Member
Rep

I’m back with some updates on the exhaust…

I went to one shop and was told I wouldn’t be able to do any sort of custom muffler work because of the limited space in the rear of the X5. So I went to a different shop after seeing a video of a guy that had installed a Flowmaster Super 10, and they were pretty confident that it could be done. I went with the Super 44 by Flowmaster (which is considerably bigger, but more quiet than the 10), and it all worked out great! I was expecting to have to buy a used X5m muffler and do some custom work to that $$$

My F15 is an Xdrive35i, and while the Flowmaster does change the sound a bit, it’s not a dramatic difference. It does have some gurgles and pops, but nothing too exciting. There is a slight drone on the highway in comfort mode though, but pretty negligible.

The tips are 3.5” double wall, but I might change to 4” sometime down the line.

The bumper was only halfway installed to get the proper fitment of the exhaust tips.
Still waiting on the Blind Spot Detector mounts - once I have those, I can button this all up and be done for now

I should have the 6WB instrument cluster arriving this week as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Javila; 03-25-2022 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 07:21 PM   #40
Javila
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_XFive View Post
Where did you get the front and rear bumper from?
I got them from Rockauto by searching the OEM part number.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 08:38 PM   #41
Hop74
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I’m back with some updates on the exhaust…

I went to one shop and was told I wouldn’t be able to do any sort of custom muffler work because of the limited space in the rear of the X5. So I went to a different shop after seeing a video of a guy that had installed a Flowmaster Super 10, and they were pretty confident that it could be done. I went with the Super 44 by Flowmaster (which is considerably bigger, but more quiet than the 10), and it all worked out great! I was expecting to have to buy a used X5m muffler and do some custom work to that $$$

My F15 is an Xdrive35i, and while the Flowmaster does change the sound a bit, it’s not a dramatic difference. It does have some gurgles and pops, but nothing too exciting. There is a slight drone on the highway in comfort mode though, but pretty negligible.

The tips are 3.5” double wall, but I might change to 4” sometime down the line.

The bumper was only halfway installed to get the proper fitment of the exhaust tips.
Still waiting on the Blind Spot Detector mounts - once I have those, I can button this all up and be done for now

I should have the 6WB instrument cluster arriving this week as well.
Looks awesome man. I bought the flowmaster super 10 cuz i thought that was the only option. After measuring, i didnt think amy other flowmaster would fit.

I would rather the Super 44 because my concern is the Super 10 would be too loud. Any under the car pics so I can show the muffler shop? Also, Any video of the sound?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 04:01 AM   #42
Javila
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don’t really have any close ups from when it was on the lift, but basically the shop just cut the 2” or so protruding from both ends of the super 44 to make it short enough to fit. It’s very doable.

I don’t have video either, but I’ll see what I can do! Once I get the rear bumper on, I’ll get some pictures all around. I know I haven’t posted any of the front end..
Appreciate 1
Hop7464.50
      03-20-2022, 09:41 AM   #43
Hop74
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I don’t really have any close ups from when it was on the lift, but basically the shop just cut the 2” or so protruding from both ends of the super 44 to make it short enough to fit. It’s very doable.

I don’t have video either, but I’ll see what I can do! Once I get the rear bumper on, I’ll get some pictures all around. I know I haven’t posted any of the front end..
Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to see (and hear) the finished product.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 12:04 PM   #44
PP1
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Was your m50d front bumper trim OEM or from Autotecknic? Are you planning on selling it?
Appreciate 0