BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-11-2022, 10:47 PM   #1
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

F85 X5M Akrapovic exhaust

Hello,
I am in Australia, getting a X5M with 112k on the clock, waiting for the car to be shipped from the East.

Akrapovic exhaust
It got the Akra exhaust but not sure about the Akra sound kit with the remote control.
If no remote, my best bet is to retrofit so that I can control the exhaust valve?
Or any other better option to operate the exhaust valve?
BM3 seems to be able to control it but then I assume I have to keep the ODB plugged in at all times?

Downpipe
Don’t think it comes with catless downpipe, is VRSF downpipe is good with the Akra exhaust?
Do I need to weld the VRSF to the Akra exhaust? (I welded the test pipe to the exhaust on my E92 M3 but don’t really want to do the same on this X5M with Akra exhaust)

Carbon fibre trims
Car is in Carbon Black, anyone got CF grill, side vents and mirror on your CB X5M? I am a bit worried if CF looks good on CB
Preferred SBM but can’t find one, so have to go with CB.

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 11:47 PM   #2
blown99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M

For exhaust valve with BM3, If you want to manually open and close it yes you will need to be plugged in, either obd enet to computer or with wifi agent. Otherwise you can program valves to be open in sport/sport+ with bm3. All of this applies to stock valve wiring, so If Akra plugs in there then should operate the same.

Ask far as Downpipes, vrsf should work fine without welding anything!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 01:21 AM   #3
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown99 View Post
For exhaust valve with BM3, If you want to manually open and close it yes you will need to be plugged in, either obd enet to computer or with wifi agent. Otherwise you can program valves to be open in sport/sport+ with bm3. All of this applies to stock valve wiring, so If Akra plugs in there then should operate the same.

Ask far as Downpipes, vrsf should work fine without welding anything!
Hello,

Thanks for getting back!
Hmm, if that’s the case, seems like the Akra sound kit (remote) is kinda waste of money.

I read that exhaust valves open once rpm go above 2k or 2.5k rpm, I assume this still applies to comfort mode even I have programmed it to be wide open in Sport/Sport+ via BM3?
If so, in comfort, valves can still open once rpm reached along with valves always open in Sport/Sport+

Some other exhaust brands ask you to long press the remote so that the valves are 100% open, this could be the only benefit using the Akra remote
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 05:39 AM   #4
slow_roll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

I have Akra on the X5M. Just reuse the factory servos for the exhaust valves. No need for the remote which is a complete waste. Switch drive modes to sport or sport plus will open the exhaust valves.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 08:18 AM   #5
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_roll View Post
I have Akra on the X5M. Just reuse the factory servos for the exhaust valves. No need for the remote which is a complete waste. Switch drive modes to sport or sport plus will open the exhaust valves.
So, sport or sport + will always open the valves? Or need to reach certain rpm?
And comfort mode never open the valves?

Just curious, did you put catless DP? How’s it sound?
Did you get the burble tune from BM3?
I am thinking if the burble tune is good to the engine/turbo as a whole
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 08:35 AM   #6
slow_roll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ASN View Post
Quote:
So, sport or sport + will always open the valves? Or need to reach certain rpm?
And comfort mode never open the valves?

Just curious, did you put catless DP? How's it sound?
Did you get the burble tune from BM3?
I am thinking if the burble tune is good to the engine/turbo as a whole
Sport and sport plus will keep valves open. Comfort by default will have them closed unless engine hits a certain rpm (my assumption and experience with other cars I've owned).

Akra with valves open burbles a bit even in stock form. I am on stage 1 BM3 tune as I do not want to mess with the DPs for emissions reasons. Exaggerated burbles via tune is a waste and also hurts your catalytic converters as you are purposely dumping fuel when you don't need to for an effect. As Steve Dinan mentioned, with stock turbos and cooling, a catless DP gives less than 10HP gain and you are taking a big risk to go above factory safeguards for essentially marginal gains where you can't utilize or feel on the streets.

Sound wise, Akra is OEM+. Not too loud but definite presence of an aftermarket exhaust w/o drone. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 09:16 AM   #7
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sport and sport plus will keep valves open….

Akra with valves open burbles a bit even in stock form. I am on stage 1 BM3 tune as I do not want to mess with the DPs for emissions reasons. Exaggerated burbles via tune is a waste and also hurts your catalytic converters as you are purposely dumping fuel when you don't need to for an effect. As Steve Dinan mentioned, with stock turbos and cooling, a catless DP gives less than 10HP gain and you are taking a big risk to go above factory safeguards for essentially marginal gains where you can't utilize or feel on the streets.

Sound wise, Akra is OEM+. Not too loud but definite presence of an aftermarket exhaust w/o drone. Hope that helps.
Thanks a lot for your valuable info
Hmm, I am not really after the power gain but more so want to get a better and louder exhaust sound. That’s why I went catless for my E92 M3 too.
I like the AMG sound but I don’t like how the AMG drives and feels..
If I want to preserve the engine/turbo but still want more sound, maybe go high flow cat instead of catless?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 06:37 AM   #8
slow_roll
Private First Class
Rep

Our turbo V8s will not come close to the sound of a N/A V8 in the 6.2 AMGs or your E92. Catless DPs will help you get closer to the sound and volume you are looking. If you didn't already have the Akra, I was going suggest you modify the factory exhaust with a X-Pipe and possibly eliminate or replace the factory muffler with either straight pipe or twin resonators. Trade off in ditching the muffler is drone.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 12:56 PM   #9
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Although, I currently own both a E63 AMG and a X5M, the sound that the AMG makes at higher RPM does put my F85 X5M to shame.
      06-13-2022, 02:20 PM   #10
slow_roll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
Although, I currently own both a E63 AMG and a X5M, the sound that the AMG makes at higher RPM does put my F85 X5M to shame.
Same here.. 507 C63.. That cold start and rev happy nature.. It's perfection... Gonna be doing SuperSprint headers this summer on the AMG
Appreciate 1
9vapors651.50
      06-13-2022, 02:33 PM   #11
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I have Kleeman headers and their high flow cats on the W211 E63. I haven't done any exhaust work to my X5M. I don't like exhaust the crackle and poop like rice crispies I just like the deep throatiness from a V8.
      06-13-2022, 08:11 PM   #12
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Our turbo V8s will not come close to the sound of a N/A V8 in the 6.2 AMGs or your E92. Catless DPs will help you get closer to the sound and volume you are looking. If you didn't already have the Akra, I was going suggest you modify the factory exhaust with a X-Pipe and possibly eliminate or replace the factory muffler with either straight pipe or twin resonators. Trade off in ditching the muffler is drone.
The car that i have purchased comes with the Akra exhaust.
To get a better exhaust note, I have been thinking to add the:
-catless downpipe
-BM3 mod stage 2 so that i can have the extra pops and bangs

however, seems like some are saying catless dp and the BM3 tune can have adverse impact to the longevity of the engine/turbo

And yes, the AMG exhaust note, event on the 5.5L turbo GLE or the 4.4L turbo on C63s are way better than the BMW's
But for SUV, i think X5 has a better driving position and more spacious interior, otherwise, i would have gone for the GLE
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 09:41 PM   #13
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

If I was in your shoes, @ 112km I would be looking at total maintenance/ some preventative. Starting with the rod bearings, before you start looking at tunes.

If the thing is coming with an exhaust, I would be seriously looking at how it was maintained and driven.

Neither the Catless DP/BM3 are going to shorten the life of the engine. But these engines are already near their limit and talking to tuners, the minute you start to mess with these more than just an exhaust. That's when the issues come along.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 02:08 AM   #14
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
If I was in your shoes, @ 112km I would be looking at total maintenance/ some preventative. Starting with the rod bearings, before you start looking at tunes.

If the thing is coming with an exhaust, I would be seriously looking at how it was maintained and driven.

Neither the Catless DP/BM3 are going to shorten the life of the engine. But these engines are already near their limit and talking to tuners, the minute you start to mess with these more than just an exhaust. That's when the issues come along.
I agreed and hence i plan to get the engine oil analysis as soon as I received the car, also budget the RB replacement cost just in case ($5k here in Perth)

I was also a bit surprised that the car was only $80k even it comes with the Akra exhaust (I am sure I have seen this car previously on Carsales as a private sell), seems like one dealership here in WA bought the car since then.

Anyway, there aren't many black X5M in the market (this is a CB but I actually prefer SBM more), been looking for months until I saw this one with the Akra exhaust which seems like a bonus.
Like you said, i am also concerned with the overall condition of the car but it is always challenging when buying a used car, but luckily the dealership is ok to drive the car to my chosen mechanic for a Pre Purchase Inspection.

Let's see how it goes
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 02:46 AM   #15
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

it's good that you budgeted in the RB.

Yeah the pricing situation is weird. I'm surprised that these are as high as they are, the 50i top in the $60. When I last looked the gap was allot closer. But at least non are asking the stupid $150+ for like a 2017 for the //M
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 06:43 AM   #16
Psychoticgroove
Builderbloke
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M LBB

Hey mate, I've got a 2017 F85 in LBB with an Akra exhaust and BM3 stg 1 tune and I'm in Adelaide.
I've got M1 set up for just sound, i.e. puts the engine in sport mode and thereby opening the valves. The BM3 stg 1 has got mild burbles, which sounds great with the Akra. Don't think you need anything else, unless you wish to draw too much attention to yourself 😆
The F85 will never sound as good as the AMG, but tell you what comes close, is the 50i, with the rear muffler delete and x pipe install. My old 2014 X5 50i which is now my wife's car sounds sick and turns heads with the sound, although the wife hates the attention!
Attached Images

06-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #17
slow_roll
Private First Class
Rep

Congrats! Will definitely make Blue By You jelly :P
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 07:11 PM   #18
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Jelly

Quote:
Congrats! Will definitely make Blue By You jelly :P
Ohhh snap yooooo...

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 08:39 PM   #19
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

LBB powers unite!!

Funny enough, after many years of 4"-6" fart cannons, I love my stock exhaust, like 90% of the time. For puttin around town, just cruzing and letting it shift at 2.5-3k. It's nice and quite. Half the time at the lights, I think the stop/start has kicked in because it so smooth and silent.

Granted, the other 10% I do want that AMG/ half the neighbourhood knows I'm motoring rumble.

Last edited by Chilled; 06-25-2022 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2022, 07:31 AM   #20
X5MNY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ASN View Post
Hello,
I am in Australia, getting a X5M with 112k on the clock, waiting for the car to be shipped from the East.

Akrapovic exhaust
It got the Akra exhaust but not sure about the Akra sound kit with the remote control.
If no remote, my best bet is to retrofit so that I can control the exhaust valve?
Or any other better option to operate the exhaust valve?
BM3 seems to be able to control it but then I assume I have to keep the ODB plugged in at all times?

Downpipe
Don’t think it comes with catless downpipe, is VRSF downpipe is good with the Akra exhaust?
Do I need to weld the VRSF to the Akra exhaust? (I welded the test pipe to the exhaust on my E92 M3 but don’t really want to do the same on this X5M with Akra exhaust)

Carbon fibre trims
Car is in Carbon Black, anyone got CF grill, side vents and mirror on your CB X5M? I am a bit worried if CF looks good on CB
Preferred SBM but can’t find one, so have to go with CB.

Many thanks
Congrats on the car. Have Akra as well but don't recommend the catless dp. Makes the car sound super raspy, I would think you need another x pipe or so with catless to make it sound better. I made the mistake with catless and bought another dp which this time was active autowerks high flow dp and it was much better. Also no cel which was a plus. Sound i have is perfect now for me altho I also have the RK intake and stage 2 tune if that helps with sound if any. As far as the remote for the flaps save your loot. Just stock akra in my opinion is too quiet. Good luck!
Appreciate 0