BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-04-2021, 05:59 PM   #1
nishboo
This Space For Sale.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir/Sakhir F10 M5

Misfire on Cylinder 7 & 8 with codes 21208 & 21308

Hey guys, I recently bought a X5M with a misfire on Cylinder 7 & 8. I figure I would roll the dice and see if its a coil/plug, or possibly something bigger. Everybody loves a good project! Long story short, its not the easy stuff, as expected. Plug, Coil, Injector and Compression were all checked and fine. Misfire looks to be only on 7, based on live data, just throwing Cylinder 8's code as well. Also have error "coding omitted" with 2 different codes; 21208 & 21308. It does have a DTM on the screen. Anybody ever dealt with something like this? I think its pointing to the DME, but am open to hear some ideas. Thanks in advance

Last edited by nishboo; 09-14-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishboo View Post
Hey guys, I recently bought a X5M with a misfire on Cylinder 7 & 8. I figure I would roll the dice and see if its a coil/plug, or possibly something bigger. Everybody loves a good project! Long story short, its not the easy stuff, as expected. Plug, Coil, Injector and Compression were all checked and fine. Misfire looks to be only on 7, based on live data, just throwing Cylinder 8's code as well. Also have error "coding omitted" with 2 different codes; 21208 & 21308. It does have a DTM on the screen. Anybody ever dealt with something like this? I think its pointing to the DME, but am open to hear some ideas. Thanks in advance.
Next to test would be your injectors, I know you said you tested the injector but did you use ISTA to test? If not ISTA has comprehensive injector testing procedures that you can run that handheld scanners can't compare to. I just got done making a video on how to test the injectors in ISTA and will post it soon.

If you don't have ISTA, grab it off the web (not to hard to find) and install it and also grab a ENET Cable. If you don't like playing around with downloading 10+ gig of software, drivers, and headache of making ISTA work on a laptop, there are plenty of sellers up on Ebay selling laptops pre-loaded with ISTA with ENET cables ready to go.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 08-04-2021 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
nishfish87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F85 X5M

Move the injector to another cylinder, clear codes, and see if it comes back on that cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
nishboo
This Space For Sale.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir/Sakhir F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Next to test would be your injectors, I know you said you tested the injector but did you use ISTA to test? If not ISTA has comprehensive injector testing procedures that you can run that handheld scanners can't compare to. I just got done making a video on how to test the injectors in ISTA and will post it soon.

If you don't have ISTA, grab it off the web (not to hard to find) and install it and also grab a ENET Cable. If you don't like playing around with downloading 10+ gig of software, drivers, and headache of making ISTA work on a laptop, there are plenty of sellers up on Ebay selling laptops pre-loaded with ISTA with ENET cables ready to go.

Just checking back to see if you posted the injector testing video yet
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 05:04 PM   #5
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:

Where in ista can you find this for this platform? With ista+ I cannot find the smooth running control tests on this motor like the s63 /n54 platform. I have looks through the vehicle management functions but only found the injector coding avl functions, not testing. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #6
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR X5M View Post
Quote:

Where in ista can you find this for this platform? With ista+ I cannot find the smooth running control tests on this motor like the s63 /n54 platform. I have looks through the vehicle management functions but only found the injector coding avl functions, not testing. Any tips?
Run "misfire detection" service function. It has an injector diagnostic as part of the test.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #7
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Run "misfire detection" service function. It has an injector diagnostic as part of the test.
Thx for the tip!
Appreciate 0