BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-20-2023, 02:27 PM   #1
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Injector Test in ISTA

Is it possible to run the injector test on the DEM module while the vehicle is misfiring?

It seems when you get the misfire codes (e.g. 1040002 etc…) that spark plugs and coils are a given to try. Those have been replaced and switched around. Cylinder 8 is still misfiring.

I brought it into the dealer bc of the extended warranty on the injectors.

Dealership confirmed what I’ve found already on cylinder 8 misfire. They want to run a compression test for $600. I asked them to run injector test first but the tech is saying it’s not usually that trust worthy when the vehicle is already misfiring.

I was wondering this myself before I brought it in because when it misfires, I believe fuel injection gets turned off on the cylinders.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 03:21 PM   #2
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Have you pulled the spark plug to have a look? Could be a bad plug, or gap that is out of spec. If that's not it then I'd be inclined to agree you might have a clogged fuel injector.

Also, if you can pull a spark plug, then you can run the compression test yourself. Just need to buy a gauge to help. Way cheaper than $600. However, compression would be the very last thing I'd troubleshoot.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 04:22 PM   #3
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Have you pulled the spark plug to have a look? Could be a bad plug, or gap that is out of spec. If that's not it then I'd be inclined to agree you might have a clogged fuel injector.

Also, if you can pull a spark plug, then you can run the compression test yourself. Just need to buy a gauge to help. Way cheaper than $600. However, compression would be the very last thing I'd troubleshoot.
Yes. I’ve already changed them. Gap is correct. And they’ve been switched around.

Tech said he tried to run the test on injectors but he can’t because it misfires before he can test. If you clear the faults and start it, it trips again in less than a minute. Drivetrain malfunction with codes for misfire, dangerous exhaust gases and fuel injection turned off. Classic misfire codes
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post

Here’s the quote they gave me. I’m not doing CCV or brakes. Ignore that. I’ll do that myself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0