Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Garage List
2005 Volkswagen  [0.00]
2013 Audi A4  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
Towing and Brake Controller

Hello, this is my first time towing anything. I purchased the Trailex CT-8055 and the Stealth Hitch with the towing conversion kit. I also understand that I require a brake controller for the trailer which has electronic brakes. Does anyone have any experience with this. It seems the only discussion I could find was on the F15 forums and the "Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller w/ Bluetooth - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional" was suggested.

Any experience would be greatly appreciated as I'm towing from Cincinnati to Orlando and want to be as safe as possible!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #2
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5m / Alpine White

I had never towed anything before, but I managed to install a stealth hitch myself and tow this 1000 miles last summer.

Everything went great, I did the full hitch kit including the tow module for the car which handled wiring as well as blind spot disablement, tow hitch camera view, and I believe alternate transmission mapping when towing.

I didn't get a brake controller at all and had no issues. I guess this was a lot lighter than a boat, but I certainly drove it fast on the open highway for many hours.

The real problem was 8.9MPG on legs of the trip!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 03:40 PM   #3
JesusLovesU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Garage List
2005 Volkswagen  [0.00]
2013 Audi A4  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefler View Post
I had never towed anything before, but I managed to install a stealth hitch myself and tow this 1000 miles last summer.

Everything went great, I did the full hitch kit including the tow module for the car which handled wiring as well as blind spot disablement, tow hitch camera view, and I believe alternate transmission mapping when towing.

I didn't get a brake controller at all and had no issues. I guess this was a lot lighter than a boat, but I certainly drove it fast on the open highway for many hours.

Looks great! I'm actually towing another vehicle. I have a Trailex trailer (electronic brakes) and the Stealth hitch. I'm assuming based on the weight, that I will need a brake controller? Or is using a brake controller merely a suggestion"?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 06:39 PM   #4
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusLovesU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefler View Post

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Looks great! I'm actually towing another vehicle. I have a Trailex trailer (electronic brakes) and the Stealth hitch. I'm assuming based on the weight, that I will need a brake controller? Or is using a brake controller merely a suggestion"?
Brake controller is integrated on my trailer; that's generally why there is a 3-7 pin connection on the vehicle. One is brake signal.

I'm planning on hauling a Wakeboarding boat with this beauty this summer… hopefully the MHD tune does the trick lol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 07:04 PM   #5
OperationROL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M & BMW X5 35i

Towed my boat from Knoxville, TN to Panama City Beach, FL. It did well. I was gentle on the transmission and braked conservatively. What boat are you towing? Mine is about 4000 lbs dry.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:01 PM   #6
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Pictures here
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Towing

I’m using the Prodigy RF proportional trailer brake controller and I’m perfectly happy with it.
Appreciate 0