BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #551
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbear83 View Post
Back in ’08, when I was young and brash I lost about 5k in 3 months during the recession. I know it doesn’t sound like a lot, but I had been working for only a year or so, and trading casually, so my savings weren’t substantial.

I ended up liquidating my positions at a 3k loss. Learnt a few things since that debacle.

took a long break from the markets after that.

Sometimes, the hardest thing to accept is not a loss of money, but a loss of pride.
If you were patient, you'd probably be up at this point. This is why you don't trade with money you'll need in the next few years.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #552
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

See lots of Baidu and Apple talk.... I'm holding onto both at the moment myself and thinking it may be time to sell.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #553
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

PS: The richmont Mines that was mentioned couple posts ago is up 20% Wohoo!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #554
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
If you were patient, you'd probably be up at this point. This is why you don't trade with money you'll need in the next few years.
In the midst of a serious recession, I highly doubt many people would just hold on. I removed myself from the stock market up until the beginning of last year. I'd rather sideline and watch, then fuck with the nonsensical movements the markets were making. That's when I took up currency trading
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #555
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
In the midst of a serious recession, I highly doubt many people would just hold on. I removed myself from the stock market up until the beginning of last year. I'd rather sideline and watch, then fuck with the nonsensical movements the markets were making. That's when I took up currency trading
I bought more.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #556
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
One thing for sure is to buy the dips on Silver,Oil and Gold. I'm sticking with buying the dips on Silver.

http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/news?...d=azNkBu9ZGp4A

Silver will see $40 and then hopefully climb to $50 after.

NVDA took quite a bit of a beating recently it should be poised for a rebound unless the market tanks.
AMD should also rebound unless market tanks and does not hold ground. My guess is we turn around from here. Let's see where we head next week on Monday. On Friday SLV was down about 3% but finished up almost 2% which is a good 5% turn around so it looks like we bottomed on Friday morning right after opening bell.

As I had said NVDA was due for a rebound and did rebound. We saw some good gains recently. NVDA is good to buy on the dips. Earnings this quarter will be good.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:NVDA

http://www.google.com//finance?chdnp...AQ:NVDA&ntsp=0

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #557
Polarbear83
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Alpine White 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
generally, I would tolerate a 20% drop for natural market volatility, anything more than that I've learnt to cut my losses and get the hell out.
      03-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #558
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

In the last 3 months BIDU has climbed over 35% and if you had bought call options you would be rich by now.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:BIDU
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #559
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The Federal Reserve will release the identity of commercial banks who received emergency loans during the peak of the financial crisis in 2008 on Thursday, a spokesman for the central bank said Tuesday. The release complies with a federal appeals court decision from a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit filed by Bloomberg LP's Bloomberg News. Last week, the Supreme Court refused to consider an appeal filed by a trade group of large banks. All of the data relates to borrowing at the Fed's discount window, the short-term lending facility for banks facing imminent liquidity concerns. The material spans the period from August 8, 2007 until March 1 2010.

Well, thursday should be interesting...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #560
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Should I buy call options for GLD? If it hits inflation status of $230 I would get a 4140% return. This by Jan. 2012. I read it on market watch.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #561
E92TTKING
Colonel
Greece
Rep
Drives: e92

just bought some visa
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #562
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek335xi View Post
just bought some visa
Got it at $66.90 way back in December. Riding it for a bit...kind of upset I didn't take profit at $77.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 03:10 AM   #563
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
just bought some visa

Visa does not really move. A stock that has been on the move recently is OVTI. Not sure if it topped out or going to $50 next.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #564
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
just bought some visa

Lucky you your Visa is up nicely today. Today may be a good day to sell them.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:V
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #565
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lucky you your Visa is up nicely today. Today may be a good day to sell them.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:V
That reminds me. For all of you guys who are just getting into trading or haven't been trading too long, some if not most brokerages that let you do online trading will lock you out of your account if you buy and sell too many stocks too quickly if you do not have above a certain amount in your account (usually it is $25k). They consider that day trading. Just giving those of you who are just dabbling or learn a heads up. If you want me to clarify it more, I will.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #566
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Visa does not really move. A stock that has been on the move recently is OVTI. Not sure if it topped out or going to $50 next.
Or $90.

V is another leader.

With mobile payments on the horizon and cash dying more each day, Visa is poised to be a leader in a growing market of electronic payment. The Fed can try to cap transaction limits all they want. Visa, MA, AXP, DFS will figure out how to make it back in other ways.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #567
E92TTKING
Colonel
Greece
Rep

Quote:
That reminds me. For all of you guys who are just getting into trading or haven't been trading too long, some if not most brokerages that let you do online trading will lock you out of your account if you buy and sell too many stocks too quickly if you do not have above a certain amount in your account (usually it is $25k). They consider that day trading. Just giving those of you who are just dabbling or learn a heads up. If you want me to clarify it more, I will.
i always keep 50K in so no worries.
I went on a mission for lent see how much I can make in the market and then pull out. Basically i am looking to sell fast not keep a stock in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #568
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
i always keep 50K in so no worries.
I went on a mission for lent see how much I can make in the market and then pull out. Basically i am looking to sell fast not keep a stock in the long run.

I'm picking up some LVS puts due to this.

Sands China: Being Investigated By Hong Kong Securities Regulator
Last update: 3/30/2011 8:10:13 PM
HONG KONG (Dow Jones)--Las Vegas Sands Corp. (LVS) unit Sands China Ltd. (1928.HK) said Thursday it is being investigated by Hong Kong's securities regulator for alleged breaches of provisions of the Securities and Futures Ordinance.
The company said in a statement to the Hong Kong stock exchange the Securities and Futures Commission has asked the company to produce "certain documents," and it "is not permitted to comment further at this time."
Las Vegas Sands said in its annual report filed earlier this month that it had received a subpoena from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission requesting the company produce documents related to its compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and that the Justice Department "is conducting a similar investigation." The law prohibits U.S. companies from making payments to foreign officials to get or keep business.
The U.S. gambling giant said it believed the subpoena stemmed from allegations in a wrongful-termination lawsuit filed in October against the company by its former head of Macau operations, Steve Jacobs. The Nevada Gaming Control Board said it has also initiated an investigation into the same matter.
-By Kate O'Keeffe, Dow Jones Newswires; 852-2802-7002; kathryn.okeeffe@dowjones.com
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #569
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Not an issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #570
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

HONG KONG (Dow Jones)--Las Vegas Sands Corp. (LVS) unit Sands China Ltd. (1928.HK) said Thursday it is being investigated by Hong Kong's securities regulator for alleged breaches of provisions of the Securities and Futures Ordinance.
The company said in a statement to the Hong Kong stock exchange the Securities and Futures Commission has asked the company to produce "certain documents," and it "is not permitted to comment further at this time."
Las Vegas Sands said in its annual report filed earlier this month that it had received a subpoena from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission requesting the company produce documents related to its compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and that the Justice Department "is conducting a similar investigation." The law prohibits U.S. companies from making payments to foreign officials to get or keep business.
The U.S. gambling giant said it believed the subpoena stemmed from allegations in a wrongful-termination lawsuit filed in October against the company by its former head of Macau operations, Steve Jacobs. The Nevada Gaming Control Board said it has also initiated an investigation into the same matter.
-By Kate O'Keeffe, Dow Jones Newswires; 852-2802-7002; kathryn.okeeffe@dowjones.com
I don't know if it is still true or not, but LVS used to be used as a pump and dump for some pretty big hedge funds.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #571
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Puts will pay well today. I figured it would take a beating today. Down quite a bit this morning in pre-market before the market opens.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:LVS
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #572
E92TTKING
Colonel
Greece
Rep

He guys i bought alot of Jazz Pharmaceuticals Inc yesterday and now its down the gutter. Im actually quite worried. Anyone think they will swing around or should i sell short? Plz advice with this one i have no idea
Appreciate 0