BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-09-2014, 12:24 AM   #23
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang0ver View Post
Well... Usually any dark colors are hard to maintain and ofcourse black is more hard.
I already gave up on black, but is there a serious difference between Jet Black and Sapphire Black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Space gray is ultra low maintenance. Have it second time around. Sparkling brown is classy imo and looks great even wit plastic extende wheel arches. Mineral gray is darker than space gray looks awesome when car is clean, like really awesome. Sice you are not ordering msport and have so much to choose from, it is more difficult. I would not take the black one.
There is no Mineral Gray, I think you mean Dark Graphite? There is Mineral Silver, but that's really light, almost yellowish white gray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
Here are some old photos of my black sapphire beauty. As for maintenance - I bring my own bucket, sponge, all types of cloths/etc. to the same car wash; they also spend more time on mine than on any other car and even then, after all drying up, using compressed air to clean out water, wiping, etc. I floor it on the highway for 1 minute, stop and rub off water (and some insects I just killed by going too fast ))) for another 5 min.

All in all - black is the car color for masochists. By goddam it looks gorgeous when it's clean... for a few hours. And then dust starts crawling in.

P.S. I want to see live pictures of what they have to offer for X5M. Said it before and will say it again - the color palette, at least for now, for the X5 is dead compared to what BWM offers for M4 or M6, for instance. Then again, as much as I love SO on the latter, I just can't see that color on a big SAV. But there's always stuff like Monte Carlo Blue.
Agree. Drove a blacked out jeep for 7 years in the past with 18" chrome clad wheels, however I found the paint Chrysler used in 2000 to be an amazing quality, I don't know if they keep daily USA driving conditions in mind when they build those, for 7 years I never had a major chip or peelage on that baby, but 2 months after I picked up my X5 my rear driver side door had a chip because it banged (lightly tapped) against my garage door when passengers were exiting. The clear coat was completely gone and the whole thing was white. I just don't think BMW does a great paint job on their vehicles for some reason, maybe it's the coat they are using or just overall the way it's done. I also had few dings from parking lot jerks, non of those dings went into clearcoat on chrysler vehicles I owned, but on BMW they all turned into white marks right away. Maybe Jet Black is more durable compared to metallic paints?

PS: Amazing looking black beauty, very well done.
The serious diff is the shine.

Jet black looks like a jaguar whereas sapphire black shines in the sun and looks gorgeous if maintained.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 04:31 AM   #24
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
the blue looks pretty decent actually. Before I saw the pictures I wasn't sure it'll work but it clearly does. I do hope you get the 20" rims though. Might affect the ride comfort a bit but they always look better on a X5.
All the best.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #25
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamad Nasser View Post
the blue looks pretty decent actually. Before I saw the pictures I wasn't sure it'll work but it clearly does. I do hope you get the 20" rims though. Might affect the ride comfort a bit but they always look better on a X5.
All the best.
Can't do 20s without buying a spare set for winter, our winters are harsh and most of fall is wet, so I am going to have to pass on 20s since I can't store another set of tire/rim anywhere and easily swap them.

I am waiting for some numbers based on the outcome, I might go with jet black xline which looks really good as long as tires and wheel wells are maintained as black as possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #26
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

I couldn't find ANY x-Line in Imperial Blue to see it in person but I spotted this Luxury Line at the dealer so I wanted to snap a few pics and share with you guys.
I took a few different shots with and without flash so could see the variation inc ertain lighting conditions, it can get as dark as dark gray if it's really cloudy or dark outside or from certain angles (like dead front) you'll see below:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #27
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

If you're planning to keep the 19" x-line wheels on the car, I would take a look at the Dark Graphite in person, really looks perfect with those wheels, IMHO. In some lights, any dark color will look black, that includes the brown and dark blues too. But the dark graphite is really a deep and rich color with a little light. Only time I would imagine it looks black is in low light.

Here's one I test drove before we got our car. If I had gone X-line, I would've gone DG. To me, it makes the x-line wheels look better than any other color. Kind of like Titanium Silver sometimes does for bright silver wheels..

Reflections of the sun messed up some of the pictures, but a couple of the pics in the middle should give you a pretty realistic visual.

I like this one:
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...9&d=1381944011

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...=dark+graphite
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #28
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang0ver View Post
The serious diff is the shine.

Jet black looks like a jaguar whereas sapphire black shines in the sun and looks gorgeous if maintained.
Not just the shine, but when you get close enough to see the metal flake, really is nicer and adds some depth. It does also hide dirt and scratches better than flat (jet) black. How much, I'm not sure… but it helps.
Appreciate 0