09-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #23
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
At 3:15 low beams are off, day light is white, and no amber.
Yes, with low beams off, no amber, which is usual, same with E70, but with low beams on it's hard to tell, if you see this review there is a very visible amber corner light on this one (not where tiny amber bulb is, this one is right on corner):

Links: Youtube

Then we have this, I don't see any amber on corner at all just the tiny bulb, I wonder if this is LED:

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #24
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I see it. Your first photo is not LED package. Second one is, and still it shows the tiny amber.

I will speculate it is LED for the LED package as it looks like the bulbs cannot be changed. It is a single unit, and the manual says to turn on fog lights if there is malfunction -can't get in the light component. Also, parts looks like a single unit:
http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...SA/63/63_1478/

A DOT requirement?
      09-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #25
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFlap
Made a series of videos in my X5 traveling across country to London early this morning. I have a new HD camcorder and had the settings on 1080p HD so have had to reduce the quality somewhat to make the file size a bit more reasonable. You can clearly see the active element of the headlights in action.

This is my first attempt at down-converting the AVHCD video files - let me know if it's OK and i'll post more!

I eventually catch up with a truck about 1 minute in...you'll see the anti-dazzle working then.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efyfe742hf...D%27s.mp4?dl=0
Cat flap, did you watch my X5 video? I've coded my 535 and they work like your X5, but for some reason I can't get the X5 to do the same. Did you code yours, or is that factory?
      09-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
mrwilby
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Cat flap, did you watch my X5 video? I've coded my 535 and they work like your X5, but for some reason I can't get the X5 to do the same. Did you code yours, or is that factory?
UK = Factory
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #27
mrwilby
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFlap View Post
Here's a bit more action including driving in traffic on a dual-carriageway (like a small freeway!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ct88fwnowu...s%202.mp4?dl=0
Great vids. Thanks for sharing - the adaptive lights feature looks really very helpful. I hope the coding elite here can crack it
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #28
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I see it. Your first photo is not LED package. Second one is, and still it shows the tiny amber.

I will speculate it is LED for the LED package as it looks like the bulbs cannot be changed. It is a single unit, and the manual says to turn on fog lights if there is malfunction -can't get in the light component. Also, parts looks like a single unit:
http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...SA/63/63_1478/

A DOT requirement?
I went to BMW today to look at some colors (not a single xLine was in stock, not a single imperial blue vehicle was in stock, not a single graphite X5) and I spoke to the sales. Basically with new X5 the ambers on corners are no longer used as driving / parking lights, there are three LEDs (whether you get LED package or not) on the edge of the housing that stays lit. The corner amber bulbs are not LED (with non-LED package) and those bulbs are same as E70, the only difference is now those bulbs don't stay on while driving or low beams, they just used as blinkers.

Here is a close up, I apologize this was under direct sunlight with parking lights on, non-LED lights.

Therefore overall there is not a huge difference between LED and non-LED the way it looks, just a tiny amber tint on the corners due to the bulb being there. Unless you live in a dark area, I think we can just save the money or put it towards another option or package, but as we can see in the videos, if you live in rural areas, it is an amazing option to have.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:35 AM   #29
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

To my mind, there is no choice to make. The LED lights are so much better than the Xenon units. On unlit roads, it is like driving in daytime and (for markets that support it) the anti dazzle trickery that moves the headlights around in the X and Y axes to optimise the view is just stunning. Catflap’s videos exhibit this feature perfectly.

From an aesthetic point of view, it is worth bearing in mind that all 4 headlights work with the LED setup. AFAIK, only 2 headlights actually light up with the Xenon setup (for both low and high beams). If so, this is the easiest way to tell if they are LED or not - 4 lights on = LED.
The tricky ‘eyebrow’ turn signal/white running light on the LED units is the icing on the cake.

Having seen both the Xenon and LEDs in action (I have the LEDs on my F15), I would choose LED every time – no competition.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #30
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Made a series of videos in my X5 traveling across country to London early this morning. I have a new HD camcorder and had the settings on 1080p HD so have had to reduce the quality somewhat to make the file size a bit more reasonable. You can clearly see the active element of the headlights in action.

This is my first attempt at down-converting the AVHCD video files - let me know if it's OK and i'll post more!

I eventually catch up with a truck about 1 minute in...you'll see the anti-dazzle working then.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efyfe742hf...D%27s.mp4?dl=0
Nice demo CF...your making me wish I ticked that Option Box now....great to have it where we live out in the sticks.......will add to the list for my next X5
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #31
nycebo
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Here's a bit more action including driving in traffic on a dual-carriageway (like a small freeway!)
Wonderfully done. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #32
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plob View Post
To my mind, there is no choice to make. The LED lights are so much better than the Xenon units. On unlit roads, it is like driving in daytime and (for markets that support it) the anti dazzle trickery that moves the headlights around in the X and Y axes to optimise the view is just stunning. Catflap’s videos exhibit this feature perfectly.

From an aesthetic point of view, it is worth bearing in mind that all 4 headlights work with the LED setup. AFAIK, only 2 headlights actually light up with the Xenon setup (for both low and high beams). If so, this is the easiest way to tell if they are LED or not - 4 lights on = LED.
The tricky ‘eyebrow’ turn signal/white running light on the LED units is the icing on the cake.

Having seen both the Xenon and LEDs in action (I have the LEDs on my F15), I would choose LED every time – no competition.
Do Canadian models include the anti dazzle feature? Or is their absence NA wide?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #33
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsal View Post
Do Canadian models include the anti dazzle feature? Or is their absence NA wide?
i have a question i have order my x5 with adaptive led headlights and high beam assitence, but i have the standalone option for the adaptive funcion on curve , and i thought that function came buying the adaptive led headlights and here in the configurator its like another option. bit confuse.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #34
Chloros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Seems today driving on Socal freeways....every other car has some LED Light show going on with their headlights. In a few years there will be no cars with standard halogens because im sure LED is cheaper to produce.
Appreciate 0