BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-11-2014, 03:34 AM   #1
nameisjae1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 M sports

US Spec navigation driving in Seoul Korea

So, just a thought and after reading some posts from @prozak76, it is simple as getting a navigation map for the country you are in for it to work? I always assume that I would have to wait to get back to the US to use my navigation. It can't be that simple, can it?

Or could I code? (language for Korean etc) Any ideas @opasha ?

Feedback much appreciated. I learn something new on this forum everyday or the days I am on.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 03:55 AM   #2
ZAKSM3
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 M3, 15 X5 3.5d

Garage List
2016 M3  [0.00]
2015 X5 35d  [5.00]
For Europe it was as simple as loading the European maps. I opted for this at delivery. When i return to the U.S. I will have to pay for the U.S. maps and have them loaded.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameisjae1 View Post
So, just a thought and after reading some posts from @prozak76, it is simple as getting a navigation map for the country you are in for it to work? I always assume that I would have to wait to get back to the US to use my navigation. It can't be that simple, can it?

Or could I code? (language for Korean etc) Any ideas @opasha ?

Feedback much appreciated. I learn something new on this forum everyday or the days I am on.
PM @shawnsheridan for full instructions. His friend is the one you will have to contact with full information on navigation updates, but Shawn will explain it better to you since he has more knowledge than me on navigation updates for different regions.

I sent you a PM with full information on what to do.

Last edited by opasha; 12-11-2014 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 05:00 AM   #4
nameisjae1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Found this on YOUTUBE. Looks simple.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

This might help us: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=646514. I would still ask @shawnsheridan for complete details and if the MAPS update is necessary.
      12-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
nameisjae1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update

So this is what someone replied with:

The main problem is your car is U.S. Spec'd and not Asian Spec'd, which means you could not easily load any Asian Map to it (i.e. Korea, China, Japan, Taiwan, or Hong Kong). The only way to accomplish this would be to convert your NBT Head Unit to Asian Spec by flashing it with modified FA with Koran Country Controller in it, but I think it would also change language and other aspects of the iDrive as well.

///////

Just wanted to share with the forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

The main problem is your car is U.S. Spec'd and not Asian Spec'd, which means you could not easily load any Asian Map to it (i.e. Korea, China, Japan, Taiwan, or Hong Kong). The only way to accomplish this would be to convert your NBT Head Unit to Asian Spec by flashing it with modified FA with Koran Country Controller in it, but I think it would also change language and other aspects of the iDrive as well.

///////

@shawnsheridan, is this easy to do simply by modifying the FA like we would 6NS or is it completely different? thanks, bud .
      04-16-2016, 02:19 AM   #8
MDF15
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i

US spec in Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:

///////

@shawnsheridan, is this easy to do simply by modifying the FA like we would 6NS or is it completely different? thanks, bud .
Is there anyway to use navigation while I am in Japan? Or do I need to swap for a Japanese system. Then swap back when I head back to the states? Thanks and I know this is an old thread. Shooting in the dark here.

Thanks
Mike
Appreciate 0