BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #45
wankelman24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 35i M Sport

Garage List
Mild Refresh for X5 for 2018

It's funny you posted this quesiton today. I was with my BMW sales manager on Friday discussing this very thing. He said they were doing a mild refresh on the X5 for 2018 that would include subtle changes to the front and rear lights. Not much else unless they have some updated color options and package updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:37 PM   #46
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankelman24 View Post
It's funny you posted this quesiton today. I was with my BMW sales manager on Friday discussing this very thing. He said they were doing a mild refresh on the X5 for 2018 that would include subtle changes to the front and rear lights. Not much else unless they have some updated color options and package updates.
I spoke to my SA last month, he said he is not aware of any major changes, but he was still waiting to hear from BMW. Were the lights upgraded or revised since beginning of F15? While I love the visibility LED lights provide, I hated how terrible the spread was. Not to mention the bad plastic design which reflects off the lense when there is even tiniest amount of dirt is on the headlight lenses. Were the LEDs upgraded at all? Let's hope they are updating the headlight lenses not just the shapes of the lights. For rear lights, it would be nice for Amber to return, but I am not going to hold my breath.
New colors would be nice, the choices were very limited on X5. Maybe they'll add some reds or blues?

I really like the way new Discovery looks. Have to check the dimensions, though.
      04-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #47
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

sort of all depends on how much you're willing to spend and what you look for in this SUV.

I'm in the same boat soon if/when I have a 2nd kid. We'll probably need a 7 seater. For this purpose, I'm leaning towards the new XC90. They're just a really good value right now. You can pick up a low mileage used one for low $50s...

MDX, Armada and Highlander are also good cheap choices....but it's hard to go to those cars coming from an X5.

The Q7's 3rd row is a joke. It's almost as small as the X5's 3rd row. It's not a true 7-seater.

If you need ample room in the 3rd row, I would say you need to go full size murican...I would prefer a Yukon
      04-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #48
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankelman24 View Post
I'm willing to bet that your sales manager thinks you have no clue what is going on with BMW scene and he is just feeding you B.S. because he himself has no information. He just wants to sound like he knows all the inside information.
      04-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #49
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I'm willing to bet that your sales manager thinks you have no clue what is going on with BMW scene and he is just feeding you B.S. because he himself has no information. He just wants to sound like he knows all the inside information.
I agree. BMW has not released any statements regarding a change on the 2018 model. The only thing i would kind of believe is if they make LED headlights standard for the 2018 model but that's about it...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #50
Jkizzle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35i xdrive M Sport

The new VW Atlas looks pretty cool. My wife has a Mazda CX-9 and I love it. It handles really well with the stock 20's and there is a ton of space.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #51
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
sort of all depends on how much you're willing to spend and what you look for in this SUV.

I'm in the same boat soon if/when I have a 2nd kid. We'll probably need a 7 seater. For this purpose, I'm leaning towards the new XC90. They're just a really good value right now. You can pick up a low mileage used one for low $50s...

MDX, Armada and Highlander are also good cheap choices....but it's hard to go to those cars coming from an X5.

The Q7's 3rd row is a joke. It's almost as small as the X5's 3rd row. It's not a true 7-seater.

If you need ample room in the 3rd row, I would say you need to go full size murican...I would prefer a Yukon
We got a Q7 a couple of months ago and you're right. Third row is bigger than the x5's 3rd row but not by much.

Having said that, the Q7 is terrific. Just an absolute pleasure to drive. So darn refined. I prefer it to our m-sport X5, especially on the tech front. Makes our X5 feel old.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:00 PM   #52
Enrico 35d
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckerine View Post
We got a Q7 a couple of months ago and you're right. Third row is bigger than the x5's 3rd row but not by much.

Having said that, the Q7 is terrific. Just an absolute pleasure to drive. So darn refined. I prefer it to our m-sport X5, especially on the tech front. Makes our X5 feel old.
Blasphemy !
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:55 PM   #53
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkizzle View Post
The new VW Atlas looks pretty cool. My wife has a Mazda CX-9 and I love it. It handles really well with the stock 20's and there is a ton of space.

Atlas does look cool, understated but means business. Have to look into the dimensions, looks like they went with 2+3+2 which is better than others trying to fit 3 on 3rd row.
      04-12-2017, 11:56 PM   #54
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckerine View Post

Does it feel heavy & long? And you must be kidding about preferringit to mSport x5. Maybe you mean the tech, not the drive? F15 got a lot softer compared to E70, and I really wouldn't want my ride any softer.

Last edited by hyde; 04-13-2017 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #55
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I'd imagine the X7 would mirror the price range of the 7 series...
If that is the case.. you're going to have to reach deeper into your pockets..
They will have to compete with GLS, so they can't price X7 in line with 7 series.
Very well equipped GLS is $75k before any rebates/discounts. 7 series starts at $85k for AWD.
They will have two versions of the X7, one of which will be more upscale.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #56
Enrico 35d
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 35d

Suggestion : Get a Honda Pilot - 8 seater with plenty of room and bullet proof. I have 3 kids and it got the job done . 3 Pilots over the last 9 years.
Save some money while you're waiting for the x7 to be released cuz it looks like pricing will be in the 6 figures. You will be able to resell the Honda in a minute with minimal depreciation.
Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      04-17-2017, 09:51 PM   #57
pdpspeed
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 XDrive 50i M Sport

Quote:
Hi Folks, has there been any update from BMW about any change to F15 by end of 2017?
I haven't seen anything significant so it's safe to assume X5 will not be upgraded for 2018 model year?

In the meantime, I noticed Land Rover released redesigned Discovery with 3rd row and it looks pretty good. I've been away from the forums for a while, what do most people look at besides X5? I really like the GLE43, although the cargo capacity will be much less and no 3rd row seat, also Cayenne is on my list as well.
Quote:
Hi Folks, has there been any update from BMW about any change to F15 by end of 2017?
I haven't seen anything significant so it's safe to assume X5 will not be upgraded for 2018 model year?

In the meantime, I noticed Land Rover released redesigned Discovery with 3rd row and it looks pretty good. I've been away from the forums for a while, what do most people look at besides X5? I really like the GLE43, although the cargo capacity will be much less and no 3rd row seat, also Cayenne is on my list as well.
I believe the GLE will actually have a much bigger and much more usable cargo hold than the X5 due to its more "utilitarian" design even though it doesn't have a third row.

We looked into the cayenne when buying a car, we ended up with the X5 because the cayenne is a lot smaller. Also, it is important to note that there will be a new Cayenne soon with a new platform (Audi Q7).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #58
MotorWerkz
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: X6 F16, X5 F15

Quote:
My lease will be up by Oct '17, and I don't think we will see X7 by then.
I am considering upgrading to a 7 or 8 seater, but I can't really see anything else drives like X5. What are my options? MDX? GL is too tall for my garage, sadly, I'd love to get that if I could. What else?

Thanks guys.
Range Rover Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 10:16 PM   #59
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico 35d View Post
Suggestion : Get a Honda Pilot - 8 seater with plenty of room and bullet proof. I have 3 kids and it got the job done . 3 Pilots over the last 9 years.
Save some money while you're waiting for the x7 to be released cuz it looks like pricing will be in the 6 figures. You will be able to resell the Honda in a minute with minimal depreciation.
Just my 2 cents

Functionality & Size 8/10
Looks 3/10. I dislike the new one's outside looks, it's been getting worse and worse, why are they messing with a nice boxy looking SUV trying to turn it into cheap looking vehicle? Also, seeing how every other Pilot on the road is a TLC plate, another reason to avoid it. Same with Lincoln SUVs, new fleet vehicles of the 2010's.
      05-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #60
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorWerkz View Post
Range Rover Sport
I like it, but I wish the entertainment unit and the overall technology was more up to date. I really love X5's screen sitting so far up, much less eye travel to glance at a the screen. People complain about the screens in new vehicles looking like tablets sticking out of dash, but that's actually a very good thing, you want as little eye movement as possible when you want to see what's on the screen. HUD on the BMW is also amazingly useful. That's also another important point when considering a replacement. I haven't seen many other vehicles display so much information that BMW's HUD displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpspeed View Post
I believe the GLE will actually have a much bigger and much more usable cargo hold than the X5 due to its more "utilitarian" design even though it doesn't have a third row.

We looked into the cayenne when buying a car, we ended up with the X5 because the cayenne is a lot smaller. Also, it is important to note that there will be a new Cayenne soon with a new platform (Audi Q7).

I had no idea about new Cayenne platform, although it should have been refreshed a while ago. The bubbly look never really grew on me. Is the new body expected for '19 MY?

In terms of changes from '15 to '18, does anyone know what was upgraded/turned into standard? I really thought rear view was now standard, but doesn't look like it is. is it optional on the current build because it's 2017? Or is it mandatory after 2018 calendar year?
      05-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #61
zxlfree
Rep
Drives: X5

Range Rover Velar?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #62
MotorWerkz
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: X6 F16, X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxlfree View Post
Range Rover Velar?
I think Velar only available in 2-rows.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #63
dves
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

Ford Explorer is your best choice. V6 bi-turbo, I would recommend you go sports model.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #64
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxlfree View Post
Range Rover Velar?

I really like it, it's also nicely priced for the technology it's supposed to have, but there is still no firm delivery date, and I am not really a fan of buying the first release models. We are not sure about the reliability of those new models, if I remember correctly LR/RR did not have the best reliability record.

I might end up getting another X5. GLS is still in consideration, but I need to test drive. RR Sport, does it really have 7.6 sec real world 0-60? Q7 is shorter than X5, I never realized that, that's actually plus, sure we'll sacrifice some headroom in the front.
      05-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #65
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

at this point, there will be no X7 this year. Atlas promos are getting blasted out this week.

Problem is, you can only get 2 gasoline motors on it. Something of that size, I would prefer a diesel.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 05-15-2017 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #66
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
at this point, there will be no X7 this year. Atlas promos are getting blasted out this week.

Problem is, you can only get 2 gasoline motors on it. Something of that size, I would prefer a diesel.
WV website has been bad last couple of days, hopefully they get around to fixing it so we can get to see more of the Atlas.