BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you buy an X5 with 15k accident repairs?
For sure, 15k of repairs on a bimmer is nothing! 4 11.11%
Maybe, after/if (fill in the blank). 10 27.78%
Not a chance! 22 61.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

08-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
TyantA
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Would you buy a used X5 with an accident?

I have come across what would pretty much be my dream X5 (coming from an e90) but today I learned via carproof that it has an estimated $15k in repairs due to a front-center collision.

Still worth considering or avoid like the plague?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyantA View Post
I have come across what would pretty much be my dream X5 (coming from an e90) but today I learned via carproof that it has an estimated $15k in repairs due to a front-center collision.

Coming from e90 too, went through same process. Looked at couple x5 with accident. General consensus is to avoid such cars. However, it really depends on price, what exactly was damaged, who repaired it (was it BMW dealership or indy shop) and how willing are you to accommodate such x5 into your life.

If price is really good and if everything was repaired top notch by a BMW dealer and if you are willing to put up with issues down the road with selling the car (accident cars harder to sell) and if it's really your dream car (make no mistake - if you are for the power it has to be at least 50i, if you are for the comfort and looks - make sure it has right color, interior and all options you want) then anything is possible.

Front center collision on a x5 f15 worth $15k can be: 1 or 2 airbags, front bumper cover, hood, radiator, possibly headlights and probably bumper itself (real steel bar bumper, not plastic cover) and plus all the grills and cosmetics. All this parts + labor + paint = easily $15k if not more. So it can be pretty good deal. However, if damage involved bent frame and such or if car was repaired at indy shop that did a so-so job - then I woudn't touch that car.

Try to get more info from the seller about accident first before deciding. A thorough PPI needs to be done of course. All this considering price is really good - otherwise don't bother with such car

Last edited by DuSh; 08-01-2017 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

maybe - if - what is the price and mileage. Also warranty from a dealer or individual.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #4
TyantA
Rep

It's an x35d in a colour I really like, 35k km, pretty much every feature too. Dealer list is 50k CAD. (wish we had closer to US pricing...) it was employee owned, dealership purchased direct from BMW Canada, still a few months of warranty left however 1yr additional was quoted at 3600, 2yrs - get this - 9700!

I test drove another 2014 x35d, no accident, 86000km with just premium package and not a colour i love for 5k less. I much prefer the lower km, colours and features... just not the accident.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #5
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's an x35d in a colour I really like, 35k km, pretty much every feature too. Dealer list is 50k CAD. (wish we had closer to US pricing...) it was employee owned, dealership purchased direct from BMW Canada, still a few months of warranty left however 1yr additional was quoted at 3600, 2yrs - get this - 9700!

I test drove another 2014 x35d, no accident, 86000km with just premium package and not a colour i love for 5k less. I much prefer the lower km, colours and features... just not the accident.
Looks like it was repaired by BMW dealership then? If so - it's worth checking out. They can tell exactly what was replaced. Was $15k damage in CAD? That's like a new bumper and a paint job at dealers prices

Update: Yeah, I found it. Nice car. It's not even $15k CAD according to Carproof. IMHO they change passenger seat airbag control module + airbags themselves )lots of them deployed during front collision, but it depends on speed too), cooler/radiator, lines, bumper + cosmetics + hood + paint + alignment and labor = way way more than $15k CAD, so IMHO it was a low speed collision NOT involving any frame issues or engine etc. Considering it was a official BMW Canada repair (car was leased at that time) - I wouldn't hesitate to check the car and go from there, but that's just me. I can understand majority of people will get scared and run away when you mention accident word

Last edited by DuSh; 08-01-2017 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 06:03 AM   #6
rhite95
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport

I would stay away from it.
      08-02-2017, 06:29 AM   #7
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Avoid like the plague. All the major parts may have been fixed and/or replaced up to BMW spec but "something else" will always go wrong. This has been my experience on two other cars (although to be fair, they were not BMWs).

Either way, good luck and pics when you join the club!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 07:04 AM   #8
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

Quote:

I can tell you this, 15k is absolutely nothing on a 100K vehicle. If the owner had waiver of depreciation on his insurance(highly likely) the repairs had to be done will all new parts(no bondo filler repairs). I had minor cosmetic front end damage and it was 14k all done. The plastic LED headlight housing was 3k alone. Just the plastic tab was broken! 3K for the housing I'm not talking about the internals. The parts costs are pretty nuts and the Mineral white paint is also very expensive and time consuming to do right. Certified BMW repair shops charge a premium on their skilled labor.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #9
TyantA
Rep

Quite the polarized replies! I believe the repairs would have been done at the dealership but would like to confirm.

Yeah, my wife's Acura was in an accident and it's never been the same. That experience is definitely giving me pause.

The other factor I have to consider is the nearest BMW dealership to where I live is 2+ hrs away. Not that there's much warranty left...

So my question is... the vehicle has S5AL Active Protection.

Why did it hit in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

How much in payments will one be saving if car is financed? So, is it worth the extra $100-200 per month to get a piece of mind? Not for me at least))) I would much rather invest my brain horse power to make more $$ to avoid such thing))
      08-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

If the price is significantly better than similar vehicles without repair work done on it, and you're covered by an extended BMW warranty, then why not?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quite the polarized replies! I believe the repairs would have been done at the dealership but would like to confirm.

Yeah, my wife's Acura was in an accident and it's never been the same. That experience is definitely giving me pause.

The other factor I have to consider is the nearest BMW dealership to where I live is 2+ hrs away. Not that there's much warranty left...

Hey man, let's separate facts from wishful thinking. S5AL won't 100% avoid collisions, it only minimizes the risks. It could be as simple as driver misplaced R with D and instead of backing car hit the grocery shopping wall - and you have a front collision reported and BMW Canada insurance puts a $15k CAD tag on repairs. Could be same situation in a stop and go traffic - when cars come too close - no mitigation system will help 100% avoid accidents.

However, as a general rule majority is right - it's better to avoid such cars if you are not willing to accommodate (be mechanically inclined, need cheapest car possible no matter the risks of breaking down and so on). I can tell from your story you already had a bad experience with Acura and in addition this car is not discounted significantly enough to jump on it. Car looks good and has good options and is a diesel (rare).

As I said IF you can find out details what kind of accident it was, what was repaired, maybe photos - it could be worth checking it out. Heck, my previous BMW dealer in Long-Island charged my sister with $4k for rear brake and rotors replacement lol. $15k CAD - is not much for a leased BMW x5 repair through insurance - that's very likely only cosmetics (bumper, hood, grill and lights assembly, paint, changing airbag control module on passenger seat etc). If you can't get such info and dealer/previous leaser is hesitant to disclose any info - then keep looking for other x5

Also there's a BMW dealer in Kitchener, ON as far as I know
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #13
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:

Look at the voting results (granted not a huge data set). They speak for themselves

Since the X5 is such a high volume vehicle from BMW, wait it out and you'll find a clean one soon enough that matches your needs.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #14
TyantA
Rep

Thanks for all the input everyone. I have asked once for accident details - instead I got a video tour of the vehicle lol.

I think it is the rarity of this combo that has my interest. The question that keeps coming up with my wife is "if it is the case that these parts are so expensive, meaning 15k isn't much for a repair... do I want a vehicle that costs THAT much to do work on?!"

I think that's a valid question. My e90 needed some work done over its 10 year life but I've repeatedly been told "you're lucky you're not driving a 5-series/x5...

Certainly there are other options out there but what I'm looking for seems to be pretty rare.

It's interesting though. Features I thought I wanted seem to give people trouble / put people off. Ventilated seats? Seems people on these boards are not so happy (or with the whole AC system for that matter). Soft close doors... they open on people while driving!?

Is it not wise to look at 2014s - year of the redesign?

I had been looking at 2013. I much prefer the price point but I'm apprehensive. I think it has more cargo space but it's harder to find one with fewer kilometers. Also the iDrive seems to be far clunkier. Anyone have any input on pre F15 X5s?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #15
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Thanks for all the input everyone. I have asked once for accident details - instead I got a video tour of the vehicle lol.

I think it is the rarity of this combo that has my interest. The question that keeps coming up with my wife is "if it is the case that these parts are so expensive, meaning 15k isn't much for a repair... do I want a vehicle that costs THAT much to do work on?!"

I think that's a valid question. My e90 needed some work done over its 10 year life but I've repeatedly been told "you're lucky you're not driving a 5-series/x5...

Certainly there are other options out there but what I'm looking for seems to be pretty rare.

It's interesting though. Features I thought I wanted seem to give people trouble / put people off. Ventilated seats? Seems people on these boards are not so happy (or with the whole AC system for that matter). Soft close doors... they open on people while driving!?

Is it not wise to look at 2014s - year of the redesign?

I had been looking at 2013. I much prefer the price point but I'm apprehensive. I think it has more cargo space but it's harder to find one with fewer kilometers. Also the iDrive seems to be far clunkier. Anyone have any input on pre F15 X5s?
I went from the E70 to the F15. It's night and day. I dropped my E70 off one for service, and they gave me an F15 loaner. I had it for a few days. The day I got my E70 back, it was like driving a car that was 10 years older. Don't buy the E70, stick with the F15.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      08-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #16
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

take this for comparison.
here is a pic of my old x5 when i got hit by a drunk in the winter.
i had slowed down to almost a crawl when i got hit by other driver going faster. slightly offset hit.
my airbags didnt go off and the repair was slightly over 20k. the passenger wheel got pushed back a little and needed to have the engine cradle replaced. but like the body shop told me, all the front parts were bolt on replacements. no welding or cutting. a rear hit which involves the rear quarter panel is a more severe repair, since it requires cutting out panels and welding in new panels.

Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
TyantA8.50
      08-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #17
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
take this for comparison.
here is a pic of my old x5 when i got hit by a drunk in the winter.
i had slowed down to almost a crawl when i got hit by other driver going faster. slightly offset hit.
my airbags didnt go off and the repair was slightly over 20k. the passenger wheel got pushed back a little and needed to have the engine cradle replaced. but like the body shop told me, all the front parts were bolt on replacements. no welding or cutting. a rear hit which involves the rear quarter panel is a more severe repair, since it requires cutting out panels and welding in new panels.

Exactly what I'm trying to politely explain to OP haha. In fact official dealership/insurance prices are so ridiculous that many quarter panel accidents automatically gets the car totaled - this is the reality of sky high prices we are living when it gets to appraisals
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 07:57 PM   #18
TyantA
Rep

Thanks for the perspective and the pic. That pic is so sad! This one certainly doesn't look like that any more, thankfully.

I guess the trick is knowing whether the frame would have suffered any damage or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #19
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Thanks for the perspective and the pic. That pic is so sad! This one certainly doesn't look like that any more, thankfully.

I guess the trick is knowing whether the frame would have suffered any damage or not.
There is no true frame. X5 is a unibody.
If the collision was in front, I wouldn't worry too much. But I wouldn't buy it unless the price was lower.
Appreciate 1
TyantA8.50
      08-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #20
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
There is no true frame. X5 is a unibody.
If the collision was in front, I wouldn't worry too much. But I wouldn't buy it unless the price was lower.
Yes, this is really strange that dealership keeps price at $50k CAD - IMHO it should be discounted more
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #21
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

For reference here is some pics of 15k damage. All new parts no repair

Bumper replaced, new hood, new fender, mounting hardware for fog light and plastic housing for LED headlight. No engine, rad no frame, rolling into car in front...this was as minor as it gets in my opinion. Still 15K.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
TyantA8.50
P111541.50
      08-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

It's probably stereotypes people still have. Many think that $15k is a wreck accident with body torn to half and engine squished into cabin. This was true long time ago for domestic cars. Today even domestic cars cost an arm and a leg to repair using insurance estimates
What many people forget is that appraisers are trained to include ALL costs that will go into car repair using a hefty hourly rate (often as high as $160 per hour labor). Lot's of administrative expenses - basically it has to cover labor of everyone involved - like insurance company, dealership, body shop and what not. And not only expenses, but they do have to make profit out of it - welcome to reality. Add a ridiculous prices for new OEM parts - I can imagine only 1 headlight can cost $1-2k easily lol. So what I'm trying to say is that nowadays one needs to go with character of damage rather than price insurance company put for repair
Appreciate 0