BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-23-2017, 12:15 AM   #1
nicros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive50i

Sound System Upgrades?

Hi, have a 2017 X5 50i. Was curious what people have done to improve the HK sound system... I was thinking to start with a new sub.

Anyone upgraded the sub in one of these? Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 12:29 AM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

It starts with properly setting up EQ.

There are plug-in-play options like Bavsound and many others. It depends on for what you are looking.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Like Almaretto said, start with the EQ settings.
But since I know how good the BavSound upgrade when I installed it on my 650GC, I did swap the speakers on my G30 540 with HK to BavSound speakers.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
mpack79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

I did full Bavasound upgrade, all speakers and bimmerTech amp. Then install a 10" sub under rear hatch. Sounds amazing!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

What 10" sub did you go with? JL Stealthbox? I recently did the Bav Stage One speakers, Ghost Woofers and Bimmer Tech amp. The mids and tweeters are excellent, very clear sound. But the Ghost Woofers leave a lot to be desired. I realize there's only so much you can squeeze out of an 8" subwoofer, but in my opinion it's not really an upgrade over the standard HK subs (especially if you don't add the amp). Even moderate volumes on songs with deep bass cause bottoming out on the Ghost Woofers.

I have 3rd row so I can't do a Stealthbox, but I was thinking of trying this powered enclosure: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-jdGiAu...112LG-TW1.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Adjust the EQ, maybe change the speakers. I know the Hk setup is not perfect but try listening to basic stereo on the f15 which is a big big disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
SC_Caniac
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 x50i MSport

I traded in my X5 50 with Harmon Kardon for a X6 50 with Bang & Olufsen. Worked wonders for me! You asked......

Use a high quality recording (CD or high bitrate recording) and adjust the EQ. XM/Sirius stream is very compressed and makes both systems sound average.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Caniac View Post
I traded in my X5 50 with Harmon Kardon for a X6 50 with Bang & Olufsen. Worked wonders for me! You asked......

Use a high quality recording (CD or high bitrate recording) and adjust the EQ. XM/Sirius stream is very compressed and makes both systems sound average.
I concur. No point in upgrading if plan is to stream radio or Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i and 2015 i3 REx

I may have dumb ears. My HK systems sounds amazing to me, when tuned to an HD radio station. Sirius sounds like garbage.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #10
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
I may have dumb ears. My HK systems sounds amazing to me, when tuned to an HD radio station. Sirius sounds like garbage.
Consider yourself lucky and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #11
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
You're not alone. Just takes a little tuning to trick the subs into not bottoming out and taking out the harsh treble IMO.

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
dnovak
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

Has anyone compared the Bimmertech Alpha One audio upgrade to the BAVSounds Stage 1? I'm trying to decide which way to go but I can't find any head to head comparisons.

I also find the sound quality of my Harmon Kardon system lacking. Previous car was a Hyundai Genesis with a Lexicon sound system and it blows the HK system in my 50i X5 away.

The Alpha One seems to be a newer release than the Stage 1. I asked both companies for a comparison chart but didn't get much help from either. BAVSounds did say that Alpha One's tweeters are metal tweeters, which are also used by HK. BAVs are not metal and they believe they sound better because of that. What I know about speaker design I could fit on a postage stamp--I'm just looking for the best plug-and-play upgrade out there.

Last edited by dnovak; 07-06-2018 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnovak View Post
Has anyone compared the Bimmertech Alpha One audio upgrade to the BAVSounds Stage 1? I'm trying to decide which way to go but I can't find any head to head comparisons.

I also find the sound quality of my Harmon Kardon system lacking. Previous car was a Hyundai Genesis with a Lexicon sound system and it blows the HK system in my 50i X5 away.

The Alpha One seems to be a newer release than the Stage 1. I asked both companies for a comparison chart but didn't get much help from either. BAVSounds did say that Alpha One's tweeters are metal tweeters, which are also used by HK. BAVs are not metal and they believe they sound better because of that. What I know about speaker design I could fit on a postage stamp--I'm just looking for the best plug-and-play upgrade out there.
Your best solution would to buy a dsp/amp in combination with upgrading the speakers. I have completely redid my stereo minus my 12" sub. If you have any question pm me.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #14
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

I have a noob question. Thinking to do sound upgrade in the future. I have HK in my x5. So can I buy BAVsound stage 1 kit + their Ghost 8 Ohm subwoofers and BimmerTech amp and some JL 12 inch sub in the spare tire space - afaik it's just plug'n'play correct - there won't be any incompatibility issues?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #15
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
I have a noob question. Thinking to do sound upgrade in the future. I have HK in my x5. So can I buy BAVsound stage 1 kit + their Ghost 8 Ohm subwoofers and BimmerTech amp and some JL 12 inch sub in the spare tire space - afaik it's just plug'n'play correct - there won't be any incompatibility issues?
Not sure on the JL's, but Bavsound website will show you compatibility.

Last edited by Almaretto; 08-09-2018 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      08-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #16
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So if you buy the bimmertech amp/dsp there is a rca output for a sub amp. You will need to go into the dsp software turn it on. Spare tire well is huge, you can fit a lot of different subs in there don't be stuck on JL.
Appreciate 2
DuSh2113.50
Russmov1328.00
      08-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #17
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
If you have 688/HK then the Bimmertech amp is not compatible. You can however code down to 676/HiFi then add dsp/amp of choice after running signal cable from the deck.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      08-10-2018, 12:03 AM   #18
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnovak View Post

Heard both many, many times- I would absolutely lean more heavily on the Alpha Ones.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      08-10-2018, 12:55 AM   #19
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
If you have 688/HK then the Bimmertech amp is not compatible. You can however code down to 676/HiFi then add dsp/amp of choice after running signal cable from the deck.
Yes I have 688/HK. Looks like you are right! Coding down to 676/HiFi is the only way - and then adding amp/dsp/sub and speaker swap. Can you please elaborate how to run signal cable from the deck? Where I can take it - maybe any photos?
Thank you.

Last edited by DuSh; 08-10-2018 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #20
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I have 688/HK. Looks like you are right! Coding down to 676/HiFi is the only way - and then adding amp/dsp/sub and speaker swap. Can you please elaborate how to run signal cable from the deck? Where I can take it - maybe any photos?
Thank you.
You need a MOST to rca or toslink interface. There are a couple company's that make them mobridge, Audison, etc... basically you take the MOST connection from the amp and use this interface to convert the signal to a toslink/rca you then can use the bimmertech dsp/amp or go heavier into the stereo like I did. You do not need to code down if you use this interface.

I use the Audison bitdmi. The orange wire is the MOST fiber optic wire that comes from the head unit the the rear amp. It converts the oem signal to a digital toslink output. That goes into my mosconi dsp. Excuse the mess with all the rain in that past month I could not finish the install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      08-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #21
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you.
Not the only way but most ideal, cost effective way. Alternate is like mentioned above- Mobridge DA for the MOST connection then outboard to DSP/amp.

You just need to pin and then run the empty slots for the audio output from the deck harness then run that cable to the rear and convert it to RCA. A little bit time consuming but not at all difficult. Sorry, I don't think I have any photos but I can look.

Appreciate 2
bmwx1sq145.00
DuSh2113.50
      08-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #22
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you.
Not the only way but most ideal, cost effective way. Alternate is like mentioned above- Mobridge DA for the MOST connection then outboard to DSP/amp.

You just need to pin and then run the empty slots for the audio output from the deck harness then run that cable to the rear and convert it to RCA. A little bit time consuming but not at all difficult. Sorry, I don't think I have any photos but I can look.
Why would you run wires from the front when you have everything you need in the rear? You can get a harass to use after the amp as high level inputs. Most dsps can sum all the signals
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50