BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Question from a New BMW X5 Owner (from an Audi convert!)

Hey there!

First post as not only a new X5 35i owner, but someone who is totally new to BMW - and this forum. As noted in the title, for the past seven years I was an Audi owner (owned both the A4 Avant and A6) but eventually got bored with the brand and always liked the X5. Glad I made the switch as I love this SAV. Space Gray w/black Dakota leather, Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus, HK stereo, Apple Car Play, heated wheel/seats, space-saver spare - it’s well equipped! Handles like a dream for a vehicle of its size.

Now, here’s my question for those familiar with the 35i Xdrive. As I am decelerating to a stop, right before speed reaches 0/idle, I notice a bit of fluctuation in RPMs. The RPMs will fluctuate from say about 500 - 1500 on the tach as the car decelerates. So, I’m wondering why is there an increase in RPM right before the car stops?

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Hey there!

First post as not only a new X5 35i owner, but someone who is totally new to BMW - and this forum. As noted in the title, for the past seven years I was an Audi owner (owned both the A4 Avant and A6) but eventually got bored with the brand and always liked the X5. Glad I made the switch as I love this SAV. Space Gray w/black Dakota leather, Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus, HK stereo, Apple Car Play, heated wheel/seats, space-saver spare - it’s well equipped! Handles like a dream for a vehicle of its size.

Now, here’s my question for those familiar with the 35i Xdrive. As I am decelerating to a stop, right before speed reaches 0/idle, I notice a bit of fluctuation in RPMs. The RPMs will fluctuate from say about 500 - 1500 on the tach as the car decelerates. So, I’m wondering why is there an increase in RPM right before the car stops?

Thanks for your input!
It downshifts into first gear to save gas and help save your brakes a bit. The transmission programming is just so good you don't feel it.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.a.r.k.u.s View Post
It downshifts into first gear to save gas and help save your brakes a bit. The transmission programming is just so good you don't feel it.
This^^
      07-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

As others have stated, the car is downshifting into first gear, and if u try and accelerate at that exact moment from let say rolling traffic, the car will jerk forward and quickly shift to 2nd gear. Most other cars stay in 2nd gear until the car is completely stopped before shifting into first to try and prevent this.
      07-10-2018, 12:53 AM   #5
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

BMW programmed the downshifting when stopping for aka "brake regeneration", it basically downshift into lower gear to raise engine rpm for "engine brake effect" and increase load on the alternator to charge the battery when you're decelerating, if you hook an OBD II reader you can see the voltage spike from 13.2v to 14.98v when your decelerating.

When in a rolling stop it will stay in 2nd gear until you've come to a complete stop then it will go into 1st gear (most of the time its unnoticeable but at times you can faintly feel it shifting into 1st at stop)
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2018, 04:24 AM   #6
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Good to know! Thank you all for the explanation!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

I searched and found this thread. I think this is what has happened about 5x on my new 2018 X5. Its i right before you come to a stop. A little lurch/jerk.

Search is our friend.
Appreciate 0