BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Robclat
Rep
Drives: X5 50d

Clink/Clunk in the back somewhere - any advice?

So I get this noise at the rear of the car mainly at slow speed it seems when the car is pitched, like pulling her away from outside my house. I thought at first it was something loose in the under boot but cleaned all that out and still there. Had a go at rattling things around and can't replicate the noise. It's a MY17 M50d about 7 months old. I thought maybe the boot patch knocking or something like that, anybody had similar? Booked in to the dealer next week as the electrics gone funny too! Drivers seat and sun roof decided not to play ball). Hoping it's not the suspension!? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
Robclat
Rep

Resolved

Hi all, just in case anyone else is suffering with this. I found other threads about adjusting the rubber boot stop and alignment of the tailgate so tried all of that including the electrical tape fix others may have seen. Anyway none of it worked so I pulled out the WD40 and white grease (as a last resort) and greased up all the latches and catches etc on both parts of the tailgate and the noise has completely disappeared. Uselessly I can’t tell you exactly where the noise was coming from specifically but this has solved the problem, can’t belive it! Was quite a loud and very annoying noise so just delighted it’s gone.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003945.00
      07-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robclat View Post
Hi all, just in case anyone else is suffering with this. I found other threads about adjusting the rubber boot stop and alignment of the tailgate so tried all of that including the electrical tape fix others may have seen. Anyway none of it worked so I pulled out the WD40 and white grease (as a last resort) and greased up all the latches and catches etc on both parts of the tailgate and the noise has completely disappeared. Uselessly I can’t tell you exactly where the noise was coming from specifically but this has solved the problem, can’t belive it! Was quite a loud and very annoying noise so just delighted it’s gone.
Interesting, can you post pictures of where you applied the WD40..?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Robclat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
Sure I’ll try get some pics up tomorrow during daylight.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003945.00
      07-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sure I’ll try get some pics up tomorrow during daylight.
Thanks, I almost gave up on this problem after my warranty expired.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Robclat
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I almost gave up on this problem after my warranty expired.
So photos attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
deutsch1003945.00
      07-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
Robclat
Rep

Quote:
So photos attached.
The first shows the bump stop and clasp that can be adjusted with a Torx 40 screw bit if you want. This didn’t work for me but if you do do it please make sure you hold the bolt on the back side as mine fell off at one point and I had to dig around under the boot floor for it!

You’ll have to open the first aid or similar panel on the other side to hold onto the bolt on the back side.

All the other photos show the parts I greased up with wd40 and then some longer lasting white grease.

The final photo shows an arrow where I got some wd40 in and under the plastic lips on the latch and just above because theses were squeaky and noisy too.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
Robclat
Rep

Quote:
The first shows the bump stop and clasp that can be adjusted with a Torx 40 screw bit if you want. This didn’t work for me but if you do do it please make sure you hold the bolt on the back side as mine fell off at one point and I had to dig around under the boot floor for it!

You’ll have to open the first aid or similar panel on the other side to hold onto the bolt on the back side.

All the other photos show the parts I greased up with wd40 and then some longer lasting white grease.

The final photo shows an arrow where I got some wd40 in and under the plastic lips on the latch and just above because theses were squeaky and noisy too.
ALSO get some wd40 inbteween the plastic bits on the latch itself in the final photo.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #9
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So photos attached.
The first shows the bump stop and clasp that can be adjusted with a Torx 40 screw bit if you want. This didn't work for me but if you do do it please make sure you hold the bolt on the back side as mine fell off at one point and I had to dig around under the boot floor for it!

You'll have to open the first aid or similar panel on the other side to hold onto the bolt on the back side.

This is great, I really wish the sound will go out completely! So I will make sure to do all the areas you photographed. Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003945.00
      08-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
xerisys
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Have a look at the clips located at the top of the rear bumper just under the lower hatch.

See pictures.

I had a similar noise that was driving me mad. Couldn't believe a "luxury" vehicle would have these creaks every time I reversed out of my driveway or drove up/down the multi-story car park ramps.

I greased a few and also put a small piece of plastic between some others.

Voila! All solved. Quiet as a mouse...or as a lux suv should be!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0