BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

Ambient Lighting not working after installing new cluster

Just did a 6WB retrofit and all of the ambient light is not working except for the lighting on the passengers side dash

The small strip of light on the drivers side past the cluster as well as the strips on all the doors does not illuminate.

I did notice one wire not plugged into anywhere after installing the new cluster but did not see where it could be plugged into.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
2015 528xi Dark Graphite / Cinnamon Brown
2013 X5 50i Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Brown 20" Y-Spoke Wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Let's first narrow it down if it's hardware or coding that is missing. 6WB cluster has 3 sockets afaik: blue one and 2 black ones (if I'm not mistaken). Have you plugged in all 3 and are you sure they clicked in tight?

Which cluster you had before partial digital one or complete analog one? Complete analog one requires special fittings that come with 6WB - like a adapters.

As for coding - you coded yourself? Was cluster virginized? I bricked my cluster while coding lol and I'm going to do remote session coding with a more experienced esys coder.

P.S. Maybe post a pic of that wire - that is unplugged.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #3
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Let's first narrow it down if it's hardware or coding that is missing. 6WB cluster has 3 sockets afaik: blue one and 2 black ones (if I'm not mistaken). Have you plugged in all 3 and are you sure they clicked in tight?

Which cluster you had before partial digital one or complete analog one? Complete analog one requires special fittings that come with 6WB - like a adapters.

As for coding - you coded yourself? Was cluster virginized? I bricked my cluster while coding lol and I'm going to do remote session coding with a more experienced esys coder.

P.S. Maybe post a pic of that wire - that is unplugged.
I had the 6WA cluster before (the partial digital one). There was the HUD cable, then 2 cables plugged into a single adapter which I of course snapped into the 6WB

To the left of the cluster (after removing it) there was a loose wire (4 skinny coloful wires attached to one white plug) and I did not see anywhere it could be plugged into so I ignored it.

I can post a photo of the wiring.

Another possibility is that the PSDZDATA folder I have is too old as when coding CAFD I only say 2015 options while my car is a 2018

Thank you
Appreciate 0