BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
PFDnorthhills
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

2018 X5 40e Charger Advice

Just purchased a 40e and would like to have any opinions on the home charger owners are installing. The vehicle only requires a charger that provides 3.5 kW (16 Amps 220 V) capability. Also thoughts on a charger that comes with that feature or one that is adjustable down to that level that can be used in the future with higher levels of output for larger batteries.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

This is the one I went with.

As far as I understand the "wall charger" itself just supplies the power, it doesn't "adjust" or anything like that, it's no different than a wall socket (with a little more protection built in, and some with more features). The actual charger is built into the car, that's what decides how many amps it will be drawing (you can set this rate on the charging screen on the 40e).

So the "charger" I listed will do up to 32A, this will allow me to plug in a car with a faster charger in it that could actually use the extra amperage, there are a few other good ones that go up to 40A or more, which may be useful if you think you may have something like a Tesla in the future that can take advantage of the extra amperage.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
PFDnorthhills
Rep

Gwes
Thanks, I think I get it. The Wall Charger can pretty much be any product as the 40e adjusts to the output being sent to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFDnorthhills View Post
Goes
Thanks, I think I get it. The Wall Charger can pretty much be any product as the 40e adjusts to the output being sent to it.
Yup, and that's how most electric vehicles charge (the charger is built into the car), except for maybe the Tesla ones that DC fast charge, I don't really know enough about that type of charging.

So, for example this, does effectively the same thing as the ChargePoint (although fewer amps), it's literally just a plug and a cord.
The ChargePoint is rated for more amps and has some more bells and whistles. It has an app, it will track your charging, give you the estimated energy cost, connects to wifi, you can choose when you want it turned off because of peak hours etc.

So what you really need to decide is:
Do you want the capability of supplying more amps because you may buy another electric car that can use it?
What kind of features do you want your "charging station" to have?
Do you want your "charging station" hardwired to your house or do you want it to plug in (so it can be easily removed at some point in the future)?

To be honest, most of these things are so grossly overpriced for what they are, some of these chargers with minimal features are well over 1000USD.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
candm
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 xDrive40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwes View Post
This is the one I went with.

As far as I understand the "wall charger" itself just supplies the power, it doesn't "adjust" or anything like that, it's no different than a wall socket (with a little more protection built in, and some with more features). The actual charger is built into the car, that's what decides how many amps it will be drawing (you can set this rate on the charging screen on the 40e).

So the "charger" I listed will do up to 32A, this will allow me to plug in a car with a faster charger in it that could actually use the extra amperage, there are a few other good ones that go up to 40A or more, which may be useful if you think you may have something like a Tesla in the future that can take advantage of the extra amperage.
I can vouch for this charger as well. After a few months of ownership we upgraded to the Charge Point from the factory supplied charger.
Charge times went from 7+ hours to about 2.5 hours.
      07-17-2018, 08:05 PM   #6
mgbabe
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i xDrive Gran Turismo

Garage List
We also went with the hard-wired Chargepoint charger. We are also glad to have chosen the one with longer cord. We see the same reduction in charge times. When we bought it, Chargepoint had a 20% off sale. Still waiting for the Ontario rebate.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbabe View Post
We also went with the hard-wired Chargepoint charger. We are also glad to have chosen the one with longer cord. We see the same reduction in charge times. When we bought it, Chargepoint had a 20% off sale. Still waiting for the Ontario rebate.
I think I sent the charger one in sometime around mid-October and they deposited the money around mid-March. I did call them to check though - they provide so little information back to you I wasn't even sure if they'd accepted it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
candm
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 xDrive40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbabe View Post
Still waiting for ours as well. Both charger rebate and installation rebate.
      07-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by candm View Post
Still waiting for ours as well. Both charger rebate and installation rebate.
Yeah, they came in the same lump sum.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #10
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just purchased a 40e and would like to have any opinions on the home charger owners are installing. The vehicle only requires a charger that provides 3.5 kW (16 Amps 220 V) capability. Also thoughts on a charger that comes with that feature or one that is adjustable down to that level that can be used in the future with higher levels of output for larger batteries.
We have 2 PHEVs and 2 EVSEs on a single 240VAC circuit. Here are some thoughts after a couple of years:

- EV chargers are a continuous load. In the USA circuits are rated for intermittent loads. So code requires +25%. So 16A continuous load requires at least 20A rated circuit.

- If getting a new circuit installed, oversize the wire and breaker so you don't have to call an electrician in the future. I recommend at least 240VAC 50A.

- Terminate in an outlet. NEMA 14-50 is a popular standard plug/outlet. It makes switching equipment or adding a 2nd EVSE easy.

- 40e (and 330e, 530e, 740e) max charge current is 16A. This is on the low side. Buying an EVSE capable of delivering more current will future proof your equipment. Teslas can draw 40A+.

- If it doesn't cost much more, I recommend EVSEs with adjustable current output. That way if at some point if there are multiple EVSEs or a friend's Tesla is charging, the circuit will not be accidentally overloaded. Some EVSEs have "load sharing". With two JuiceBox Pro 40 they can communicate with each other so if they are both on single 50A circuit they will not both together exceed the max current. Example: two 32A EV on a single 50A circuit cannot simultaneously charge at their max rate, but if only one EV is charging, then it can charge faster at its max.

We have a JuiceBox Pro 40 w/ wifi, data output and all the bells and whistles, and a no name brand made in China EVSE. For charging they both work fine. The no name brand is a little more sensitive to voltage fluctuation and will shut off around 256VAC whereas the JuiceBox will continue to charge. The JuiceBox is heavy duty metal construction and the no name brand is cheap plastic. The no name brand is light and portable, the JuiceBox is not.

https://www.evseadapters.com/collect...v-charger-evse

https://www.amazon.com/JuiceBox-Pro-...s=juicebox+pro
2018 330e - Driver Assistance Plus, Adaptive LED Lights (decoded VLD), Active Blind Spot Detection, ACC Stop & Go, Parking Assistant, Side/Top Cameras, HUD, Comfort Access, 225/45R18 255/40R18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 + Winter Sotozero Serie II
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #11
PFDnorthhills
Rep

Thanks for the information and advice. I did purchase a Siemans Charger. It does not have all the bells and whistles that many products have but I'm limited by the garage location at my home where this vehicle will be stored. WiFi is not an option and I'm really not interested in more than simply charging the battery.
It does however have the option to change the output to the vehicle which I have adjusted to suite the 40e. Thanks for mentioning that as a feature that should be considered.
I've been pleased with the X5, its the first time I have owned a car with a 4 cylinder engine. It's surprisingly quiet and has good performance and handling dynamics for it's weight.
I also installed a hitch to be used with a small trailer, Stealth Hitch, very nice product.
Now I have to play with all the various modes to determine best use of the ev options for mileage optimization.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Now I have to play with all the various modes to determine best use of the ev options for mileage optimization.
Check out this thread

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=923016
2018 330e - Driver Assistance Plus, Adaptive LED Lights (decoded VLD), Active Blind Spot Detection, ACC Stop & Go, Parking Assistant, Side/Top Cameras, HUD, Comfort Access, 225/45R18 255/40R18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 + Winter Sotozero Serie II
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #13
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Costco has one on sale in their new flyer. Not sure of the brand as the pic is small and my eyes are old.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 04:42 PM   #14
Yesharvinder
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I'm having trouble connecting to ChargePoint chargers. It doesn't charge. It works at home on the 110v charger with no issues. I don't get a red ring just doesn't charge. Any ideas ?? Mine is 2016 40e
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #15
david_594
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesharvinder View Post
I'm having trouble connecting to ChargePoint chargers. It doesn't charge. It works at home on the 110v charger with no issues. I don't get a red ring just doesn't charge. Any ideas ?? Mine is 2016 40e
Are you trying to connect to their public charges with dual cables and an LCD display? If so you need to activate the charger via the app or card before you can charge from it.
Appreciate 0