BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

My Second X5 Order This Summer

It is a long story that requires a bottle of wine and cheese most would be afraid to smell. But, hats off to my dealer for standing behind the sale. They just repurchased and refunded our '14 X5 X Line. And, I just ordered a replacement X5 35d in M sport and the works as attached. The new one differs as follows:

Mineral White for Mineral Silver (N/A on M Sport)
M Sport for X Line
Storage for Spare
Fixed option issues

They called around and swapped production with another dealer to expedite the deliver, and have given us a '13 X5 (which comparatively is very inferior, as we put 500 miles on the '14).

They have ordered the parts for 50d front vents and will be delivered with the open vents and trim middle/split piece. They also committed to re-wire for Euro tail lights and order the Euro lights for the rear (there is one other person on this board who had the same done at the same dealer). And, they will do some coding at no charge.

All items we paid for in the prior (accessories, Zurich Shield, etc.) will be included in the new one.

Details:
2015 X5 xDrive35d M copy.pdf
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

So your dealer is basically performing warranty-voiding work for you?

I service at the same dealer but the work was done by me. Not by them.

If BMWNA gets wind of this, you're toast. In fact, my car was in for recall work recently and a BMW engineer was around. They couldn't move my car (owing to my Euro lights) for fear this individual would see it.
      09-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

@wdimagineer I could see how it would void aspects of the warranty related to that particular item. All functions are separate circuits, so the risk of electric damage should be low. Also, they have yet to quote me on that work....I might balk. If you have had a bad experience with this, other than having to sort the code out, I would be very thankful to hear (PM). Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

You got all the good stuff.
Always more comfortable when a dealer works for you, that is the way it should be.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

We bricked a controller during the process, so the risk is incredibly high.

BMW is well aware of individuals using tools like E-Sys to code their cars and has taken a zero tolerance stance.
      09-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thank you @wdimagineer. That is sage advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
You got all the good stuff.
Thank you. Humbled.

That said, as much as we like to think there is something unique about all this, there isn't. We all get the good (and bad) stuff. They have a way of making us feel so special.

I will miss the Mineral Silver in the combo I ordered. Too bad it is NA for m sport. Unless you pay circa $5k for custom paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Good luck sir. When do you expect delivery?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #9
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thank you @Baunton. I should find out soon about the schedule. Last one took five weeks, but I think they are pushing this towards the front of the line as much as they can in light of my experience. I cannot say enough about how nicely I am being treated by the dealer. Will post the due date when I get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #10
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

I might have missed it, but what was the reason for repurchase?
      09-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #11
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Thank you @Baunton. I should find out soon about the schedule. Last one took five weeks, but I think they are pushing this towards the front of the line as much as they can in light of my experience. I cannot say enough about how nicely I am being treated by the dealer. Will post the due date when I get it.
Five weeks...as long as that

When I ordered mine in January it got delivered mid May....I think ~5 months is the norm for Europe.

You are very fortunate in US and CA with BMW giving you priority....we are deeply envious this side of the NATL.

Good on you.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #12
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I might have missed it, but what was the reason for repurchase?

One package and two option mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #13
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
One package and two option mistakes.
So what have you changed for the new order then?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
So what have you changed for the new order then?
  • Got rid of the space-saver spare
  • Added Driver Assist Plus
  • Changed to M Sport but that was unrelated to the options issue
  • Opted out of the soft-close doors which were standard in the prior packages. We enounctered issues and though they don't solve anything for us.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Which dealer is this?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
  • Got rid of the space-saver spare
  • Added Driver Assist Plus
  • Changed to M Sport but that was unrelated to the options issue
  • Opted out of the soft-close doors which were standard in the prior packages. We enounctered issues and though they don't solve anything for us.
Seems quote an extreme course of action for those changes, did they not resolve the doors opening by themselves?

How did you come out of the deal, lose much?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #17
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
Seems quote an extreme course of action for those changes, did they not resolve the doors opening by themselves?

How did you come out of the deal, lose much?
I lost nothing. They held the car for 29 days (i had it for 14), and then I got the call offering me a discount or a new order with the features I wanted. I chose the latter. They were extremely cordial, not combative, and very accommodating. I had a new sales rep and that person did not capture what I had asked for. BMW's configurator was certainly part of the blame, and they acknowledged that.

There is nearly fully loaded X line with less than 500 miles on it for sale.

The door issue is their to resolve. And, others have had the issue, which is why opted against the soft close option now that for '15 it is not in a package but a standalone option.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #18
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I lost nothing. They held the car for 29 days (i had it for 14), and then I got the call offering me a discount or a new order with the features I wanted. I chose the latter. They were extremely cordial, not combative, and very accommodating. I had a new sales rep and that person did not capture what I had asked for. BMW's configurator was certainly part of the blame, and they acknowledged that.

There is nearly fully loaded X line with less than 500 miles on it for sale.

The door issue is their to resolve. And, others have had the issue, which is why opted against the soft close option now that for '15 it is not in a package but a standalone option.
Sounds like you got the friday afternoon car then.

Surprised them came to you with the option to order a new one, it can't be that often that a car dealer admits that they are wrong but at least they are big enough to have done it for you this time.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #19
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update....order processed three days ago.

Car scheduled for production for the 38th week of the year....dealer expects delivery in 4-5 weeks tops. They ended up swapping a production spot with another dealer to make this quicker.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #20
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

What is rewire for Euro tail lights?
If someone in the US has their LED headlights coded for anti dazzle/adaptive, and BMW learns of it, does it void any parts of the vehicle warranty? If so, what parts?
With the chance of bricking the controller or voiding warranties I am surprised so many people get their vehicle coded.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #21
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
What is rewire for Euro tail lights?
If someone in the US has their LED headlights coded for anti dazzle/adaptive, and BMW learns of it, does it void any parts of the vehicle warranty? If so, what parts?
With the chance of bricking the controller or voiding warranties I am surprised so many people get their vehicle coded.

For tail lights. Used to be a plug and play replacement, but now you have to rewire. In all likelihood voids a segment of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #22
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
If you're just coding, it doesn't void the warranty. Coding is not "coding" in the sense that you're making changes to BMW's operating systems. All you're doing is changing settings for which they've already written the software. Most of these features exist in some countries or regions, but not in others because of local laws or regulations. Anti-dazzle is a good example, as it is available in Europe but not in the US.

Anyway, I was also pretty surprised at the number of folks who code them until I did some coding myself. It's actually very easy. It took me longer to get all of the necessary tools gathered and installed than it did to do coding my first time. And, if you follow good practice and back up your data files every time, bricking is almost a non-concern. I say "almost" because, having worked in IT for 20 years, I know that there is someone, somewhere who can figure out how to brick it, whether on purpose or not

The hardest thing with coding is that there are literally thousands of parameters you can change, and it's hard to know a given option is even available, much less which parameters affect that option. Fortunately, these forums have a number of members who have compiled code lists of many good features. I've coded a dozen or so changes, and I like the personalization that this offers me.

And now that I've long enough, back to MattBianco and his new vehicle. Good luck with this one!