BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

LED vs non LED

What's the main difference between the two, are the day time running lights different or is it just brighter?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiljustin View Post
What's the main difference between the two, are the day time running lights different or is it just brighter?
The HALOS for both are LED at the same brightness for daytime running lights. Also, the fog lights for both are LED, except some random countries get the halogen fogs, which seems unfair.

LED:
1) You can code a lot of settings with these lights: a) anti-dazzle (recently figured out by skalberti 100%/deeply discussed between myself and other knowledgeable members) b) coding brightness of HALOS c) some nifty features for cornering lights and and high beam low beam timing changes figured out by CatFlap.

2) The turn signal is the eyebrow - it is a switchback LED that shifts from the LED white (solid) to LED amber (blinking).

3) LED has a deeper field of vision.

Bi-Xenon:
1) No coding except for having the fogs on with the high beams from everything we have all tried in regards to LED coding.

2) Turn signals have individual halogen bulbs in the corners (I changed mine to WeissLicht Spektrum LED amber bulbs and coded the startup burnt bulb test off to eliminate flickering). The LED eyebrow is just solid white LED that does not change. I'm sure with coding and some modification, someone could change this to act like the LED lights, but no one has yet.

3) Bi-Xenon are very bright and give a broader field especially peripherally from the many discussions in these forums. That's what it seems like.

I'm sure others can add more since I know I probably missed a few things .
      09-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Thanks! Any photos that compare the two?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiljustin View Post
Thanks! Any photos that compare the two?
No problem.

Bi-Xenon: notice the full round bi-xenon (one left one right) and the corner turn signal amber halogen bulbs.

LED: notice how the high beam and low beam are split in half and no corner turn signal amber bulbs.

09-06-2014, 01:58 AM   #5
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

I got a chance to shoot some GoPro video comparing my 2014 535 and 2015 X5, both with LED headlights. My car seems to perform better than the X5. I'm gonna have to dig a little deeper on this. In the second video (the X5) its putting too much light on my 535 in front. My wife was driving and she said that if the windows weren't so tinted that it would have blinded her. The black box doesn't seem to appear as well as my 535

X5
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 02:28 AM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I got a chance to shoot some GoPro video comparing my 2014 535 and 2015 X5, both with LED headlights. My car seems to perform better than the X5. I'm gonna have to dig a little deeper on this. In the second video (the X5) its putting too much light on my 535 in front. My wife was driving and she said that if the windows weren't so tinted that it would have blinded her. The black box doesn't seem to appear as well as my 535
Hm, you know what, Shawn...I can see that the black shadow behind your wife is evident with you driving the 535. It seems to be almost completely gone except for maybe a thin line when you're driving behind in the X5. Here are my thoughts:

1) It could be because the F15 LED's are brighter/newer/stronger that they could be emitting it in this way perhaps?

2) Maybe because the X5 is just that much taller that the pattern is like this?

However, as far as technology is concerned, the X5 should be adapting to the above scenarios accordingly and not blind anyone in front the way it still seems to be doing in your videos. So, I assume the VO coding you did did not work?

Thanks for making these videos .
      09-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Hm, you know what, Shawn...I can see that the black shadow behind your wife is evident with you driving the 535. It seems to be almost completely gone except for maybe a thin line when you're driving behind in the X5. Here are my thoughts:

1) It could be because the F15 LED's are brighter/newer/stronger that they could be emitting it in this way perhaps?

2) Maybe because the X5 is just that much taller that the pattern is like this?

However, as far as technology is concerned, the X5 should be adapting to the above scenarios accordingly and not blind anyone in front the way it still seems to be doing in your videos. So, I assume the VO coding you did did not work?

Thanks for making these videos .

Well you have a point about the height of the lights. My 535 is only 10 months old, so I don't feel like there's a brightness difference between the two. When I was following the X5 in my 535, notice when I passed my wife the right headlight shut down. Then after I passed her you could see the headlights moving pretty well for the oncoming cars. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something new that needs to be coded that wasn't needed on my 5? We need to get some others with the F15 to post their videos for comparison. Thanks for taking the time to watch those long boring videos!
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well you have a point about the height of the lights. My 535 is only 10 months old, so I don't feel like there's a brightness difference between the two. When I was following the X5 in my 535, notice when I passed my wife the right headlight shut down. Then after I passed her you could see the headlights moving pretty well for the oncoming cars. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something new that needs to be coded that wasn't needed on my 5? We need to get some others with the F15 to post their videos for comparison. Thanks for taking the time to watch those long boring videos!
Haha, I should have watched the end of the video. I did not know that you passed your wife and the high beam shut off in the 535. I watched about 70-75% of both videos thinking it was the same throughout (so I was like man this is a tough test I better pay attention, lol).

I really wish someone would chime in with more info because it seems like a lot of people are coding this into their cars but not providing any feedback. ljx*****n said that it was working on his, but I don't know if it's working 100% after your videos.
      09-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha, I should have watched the end of the video. I did not know that you passed your wife and the high beam shut off in the 535. I watched about 70-75% of both videos thinking it was the same throughout (so I was like man this is a tough test I better pay attention, lol)

Ya go to 4:10 in the 535 video. After I pass my wife you can see how much the lights moves as I approach oncoming cars. I went ahead and posted in the bimmerfest coding forums asking for people to watch the videos and compare to how their lights are working. Hopefully some others will post videos for comparison.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=795160
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Ya go to 4:10 in the 535 video. After I pass my wife you can see how much the lights moves as I approach oncoming cars. I went ahead and posted in the bimmerfest coding forums asking for people to watch the videos and compare to how their lights are working. Hopefully some others will post videos for comparison.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=795160
Yeah, now I noticed it, lol. I even noticed it when you were driving the X5 and oncoming traffic was passing both you and your wife. The 535 adaptive lights were working, but it looked like your lights did nothing as the few cars came towards you. That is annoying after so much coding/work you've tried to figure out. I really wish I had LEDs so I could help. Let me know if you figure anything out.
      09-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Talking European (UK) LED's in Action

Made a series of videos in my X5 traveling across country to London early this morning. I have a new HD camcorder and had the settings on 1080p HD so have had to reduce the quality somewhat to make the file size a bit more reasonable. You can clearly see the active element of the headlights in action.

This is my first attempt at down-converting the AVHCD video files - let me know if it's OK and i'll post more!

I eventually catch up with a truck about 1 minute in...you'll see the anti-dazzle working then.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efyfe742hf...D%27s.mp4?dl=0
      09-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFlap View Post
Made a series of videos in my X5 traveling across country to London early this morning. I have a new HD camcorder and had the settings on 1080p HD so have had to reduce the quality somewhat to make the file size a bit more reasonable. You can clearly see the active element of the headlights in action.

This is my first attempt at down-converting the AVHCD video files - let me know if it's OK and i'll post more!

I eventually catch up with a truck about 1 minute in...you'll see the anti-dazzle working then.

Here's a bit more action including driving in traffic on a dual-carriageway (like a small freeway!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ct88fwnowu...s%202.mp4?dl=0
      09-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #13
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
LED:
1) You can code a lot of settings with these lights: a) anti-dazzle (recently figured out by skalberti 100%/deeply discussed between myself and other knowledgeable members) b) coding brightness of HALOS c) some nifty features for cornering lights and and high beam low beam timing changes figured out by CatFlap.

2) The turn signal is the eyebrow - it is a switchback LED that shifts from the LED white (solid) to LED amber (blinking).

3) LED has a deeper field of vision.

Bi-Xenon:
1) No coding except for having the fogs on with the high beams from everything we have all tried in regards to LED coding.

2) Turn signals have individual halogen bulbs in the corners (I changed mine to WeissLicht Spektrum LED amber bulbs and coded the startup burnt bulb test off to eliminate flickering). The LED eyebrow is just solid white LED that does not change. I'm sure with coding and some modification, someone could change this to act like the LED lights, but no one has yet.

3) Bi-Xenon are very bright and give a broader field especially peripherally from the many discussions in these forums. That's what it seems like.
So with LED package we don't get running amber lights at all? I thought it wasn't allowed in the USA, if you turned on the parking lights or low beams, amber running lights were required. Or does it turn the whole eyebrow solid amber when you do that until it blinks on turn signals? Couldn't you just post a video of your own ride for us.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFlap View Post
Made a series of videos in my X5 traveling across country to London early this morning......You can clearly see the active element of the headlights in action.

This is my first attempt at down-converting the AVHCD video files - let me know if it's OK and i'll post more!...

Brilliant. Starting 1:03 you can see this. Nice video.
      09-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #15
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
So with LED package we don't get running amber lights at all? I thought it wasn't allowed in the USA, if you turned on the parking lights or low beams, amber running lights were required. Or does it turn the whole eyebrow solid amber when you do that until it blinks on turn signals? Couldn't you just post a video of your own ride for us.
  • We don't get amber turn signals in the rear in the US
  • This is because BMW is 1) saving about $25 per car; and 2) they think that is what Americans prefer
  • They have put saftey second to taste perception and profits. The DOT study covers the safety aspect. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...y6YdLdiuXuWbKw

Bottom line: rear amber turn signal/blinker/indicator is safer, there is no DOT rule/regulation that bans this.

Last edited by MattBianco; 09-08-2014 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
  • We don't get amber turn signals in the rear in the US
  • This is because BMW is 1) saving about $25 per car; and 2) they think that is what Americans prefer
  • They have put saftey second to taste perception and profits. The DOT study covers the safety aspect. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...y6YdLdiuXuWbKw

Bottom line: rear amber turn signal/blinker/indicator is safer, there is no DOT rule/regulation that bans this.
I was talking about front. You know with E70 we got those ugly amber running lights on corners.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
radarguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440ix, 2023 X3 M40ix

@CatFlap: Excellent movies. Thanks. I hope I can code my LEDs to work that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #18
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
@CatFlap: Excellent movies. Thanks. I hope I can code my LEDs to work that way.
Thanks, will post more soon!
      09-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #19
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
I was talking about front. You know with E70 we got those ugly amber running lights on corners.
In front, they run white as daytime lights, and blink amber. Sorry for not clarifying that before.
      09-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

So at the end of the day, if I am not planning on doing any sort of coding, is it worth spending the $1900 extra for the lighting package versus staying with the standard bi-xenon? I really don't care all that much about the LED front turn signal at this point as I have my toy car and don't want to tinker with the X5 at all. I pretty much have settled on my final build and just trying to figure out if I should go with the LED or not.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #21
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
In front, they run white as daytime lights, and blink amber. Sorry for not clarifying that before.
That's OK. But how about when you have the low beams or regular driving lights on. Do they remain white or turn into solid amber?

Edit, it looks like F15 has a tiny amber bulb at the edge, I think these are normal xenons, not LEDs, right:
DRL:

Driving Lights/Low Beams with amber indicators available, much more subtle compared to E70 which had a super big ugly amber at corners:
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #22
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Golden Horn, hmmm mine with LED is returned and a replacement is not arriving for another four weeks. Meanwhile, it looks like all white with daylight running and tiny amber with low beams on:

All white:

All White with S. Carolina plates
and from 3:40 to 4:20 here

All white in Motor Week review from 0:50 to 1:15
but you see the amber at 2:23. It looks like a tiny amber lights up with low beams, but not with daylight driving. At 3:15 low beams are off, day light is white, and no amber.