BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Lightbulb OEM Cross Bars on Roof Rails, and Thule Cargo Box

We have had several scattered threads about roof rails /cross bars and cargo boxes, so I though to put up some pictures and info on my install tonight, as the car gets ready for its first ski trip.

Some facts about the rails:

• They add about 4.75 inches or 12cm height to the car
• The kit comes with four (identical) keys for the lockable covers
• Front and rear, are different with the front having wind splitters
• They are side specific (FR, FL, RR, RL)
• There is a very thick multi language install book filled with disclaimers
• Easy to install, once you do two or three sides. First time, with wife helping, it took 12 minutes
• A one person install would take longer
• One of the covers would not get into place to be locked, and I had to punch it, and then it clicked.
• The rails attach with clasps on both sides, and a faucet sized knob to twist and tighten. The knob says turn until you hear click. I turned and turned, and was afraid to break it, so none of the four sides made a click sound for me
• BMW install manual says to re tighten every 500km. I recommend a retighten after the first 30m/50km and then using the BMW guidance
• Noise level is very minimal where I mounted them. I had them dealer installed on my ’14 X Line. They had it closer to the front and it was noisier than tonights install
•The kit includes four stickers so you can mark your spot for easier subsequent installs
• Rails are about 3cm or tad over 1 inch thick

With Cargo Box:
• I use a large 18 cubic feet, long version of the box suitable for skis. It did not protrude out from the front, or the back. No matter how low and forward I stuck my head towards the windshield, I could not see the front. You can manipulate the position based where you install the cross bars, and where you move the cargo box latches.
• I show 180cm sized skis in the box, and there was another 10-15cm room, without having to place the skis diagonally
• The box latches fit very well against the top of the cross bars
• Minimal wind noise with the cargo box, especially with the pano roof liner drawn, test at 60 mph. I was surprised as I have carried the same box on an R500 and LX470. I attribute this to placing the box farther back than usual.
• My box has carried three full sized suitcases plus many other items in the past. It is rated 150lbs and I have carried about 200lbs in it once, for 400 miles.The key is to balance the weight
• Compared to Thule ski racks, the box is much, much quieter. I have the racks too, and have used them once.

Recap:
I highly recommend a cargo box if you are a skier, camper, do a lot of outdoor activities, or travel with a lot of gear. I usually opt for OEM cross bars, when they are not a standard, because they seem to form-fit better. That said, Thule and Yakima produce great bars that protrude out and allow more items to be mounted. But they don’t look as good, in my view. Also, the Thule cross bars may be thinner, based on comments I have read here.

Hope this helps.

Photos below

Height of the top of cross bars:

Thickness of the bar:

Total added height, including the box:

Views:

Stickers you add to mark your preferred install location:

No interference with KAFAS or obstruction of front view:

Can easily hold 10 pairs of skis. Boots fit too, but only suitable for the return trip.

Last edited by MattBianco; 12-29-2014 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 10
AlexGT418.50
Axel8158.50
maDjzo861.50
MN2///M521.00
sfgator40.50
destroy26163.50
      12-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

Great post. I'm planning to get a cargo box too.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Another great/informative post, Matt!
The thing that struck me as weird when I installed mine was the prescribed mounting point for the front bar. 460mm/18" from the front of the rail. It just seemed way too far forward. With the recommended spread, the rear bar also looked like it should be further back as well.
However, seeing your pics with the cargo box mounted... they look perfectly placed, i.e. some smart people ran all the loading simulations to arrive at the final locations so i shouldn't question it.
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
vadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: suv

Matt,

Thanks for posting, I was planning on getting one, but the BMW one is $950 (dealer offered for $825 as he had in stock) but have not bitten the bullet yet. With two dogs and 6 pairs of skis we need the Yukon still. I am planning on re-evaluating when REI offers 20% off again.

I did try to stand on the sill of the back door though while washing the roof and pretending to access a box and I thought "no way" is it better to access than it appeared to me? How easy have you found it to use?
Appreciate 2
      12-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #5
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Another great/informative post, Matt!
The thing that struck me as weird when I installed mine was the prescribed mounting point for the front bar. 460mm/18" from the front of the rail. It just seemed way too far forward. With the recommended spread, the rear bar also looked like it should be further back as well.
However, seeing your pics with the cargo box mounted... they look perfectly placed, i.e. some smart people ran all the loading simulations to arrive at the final locations so i shouldn't question it.
Haha... I just eyeballed it, and used a string to make sure both sides were even in relation to they start/end points of the rails. And, I then did the same with the moveable clasps at the bottom of the cargo box. My freeway ride was just two miles so the real test will come tomorrow. Hopefully no box in the freeway and noise level stays as it was today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadriver View Post
Matt,

Thanks for posting, I was planning on getting one, but the BMW one is $950 (dealer offered for $825 as he had in stock) but have not bitten.......

I did try to stand on the sill of the back door though while washing the roof and pretending to access a box and I thought "no way" is it better to access than it appeared to me? How easy have you found it to use?
When I bought this box a few years back, it went on our R500. The dealer recommended I buy Thule, cheaper ($650 from poor memory), from another shop as the Benz version then only opened from one side. Now Benz' is dual-side-open like Thule. Dealer also said that the Benz box was made by Thule. I suspect the BMW box too is made by Thule. In fact, the key shape and numbering system on the cross bars themselves look exactly like Thule.

Door sill standing......as much as I have expressed my dislike for those leg mudding, fake step (same height as the floor bottom) running boards, I have always stated their only benefit is when accessing cargo boxes. I gave up the running boards when I switched from X Line to M Sport. I just keep a towl in the car, and without care step on floorswith wet/muddy feet (over rubber mats), and at 6'1" I can reach the inside of the box. I would not hesitate on stepping on the Mocha Nappa with a towel protecting it. Lastly, for our LX470 we sometimes carry a tiny, ultralight aluminum ladder (max load 180 LBS). It helps quite a bit. Also, it helps if you don't center the box relative to the roof width; keeping it close to either left or right side of the car makes access easier.
      12-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
ydchoe
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

This looks great. I am also interested in getting the roof box for my summer camping trips and your setup looks to be perfect for my need. One thing I would love to see is how it looks with tailgate open. Just wanted to see where it touches on the back and if the box can be moved little further down. Would you be able to take a picture when you get a chance? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadriver View Post
Matt,

Thanks for posting, I was planning on getting one, but the BMW one is $950 (dealer offered for $825 as he had in stock) but have not bitten the bullet yet. With two dogs and 6 pairs of skis we need the Yukon still. I am planning on re-evaluating when REI offers 20% off again.

It might not be a good idea to put the dog in there
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydchoe
This looks great. I am also interested in getting the roof box for my summer camping trips and your setup looks to be perfect for my need. One thing I would love to see is how it looks with tailgate open. Just wanted to see where it touches on the back and if the box can be moved little further down. Would you be able to take a picture when you get a chance? Thanks.
About 7-8" or 20-24 cm space with boot open at max.

Picture not attaching from mobile. Will try again later.
      12-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
ydchoe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post

Yeah. I heard that there is problem attaching pictures from mobile phone. I would appreciate if you can upload it later from the PC. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Sweet info dude. Good job. Definitely saving this.
      12-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Would you be able to post part numbers in case someone is trying to copy your setup?
      12-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydchoe
Quote:

Yeah. I heard that there is problem attaching pictures from mobile phone. I would appreciate if you can upload it later from the PC. Thanks!
Test 3...this one works.

@greentrbo95gst As for the parts, there is only one BMW crossbar so the part should be easy to find (traveling now but will search it once kids are sleep). The box is a Thule Atlantis 1800 XT. This is the current model equivalent http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...687xt-_-687000 but any box would work.

If my box was new, instead of paying almost $600 to paint my mud flaps, I would have painted the the box in Mineral White.

Note: the ugly rear mud flaps have done an excellent job after 200 miles, of which 40-50 miles was slush, snow, ice, and whatever they sprinkle on the icy roads.
Attached Images

Last edited by MattBianco; 12-30-2014 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #13
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Eh, enjoy the vacation already.

PN 82712232293
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
ydchoe
Rep

Thanks for this picture. I guess there is not much space to push it back further, so Thule Atlantis 1800 is as big as it can get for our X5.

Quote:
Test 3...this one works.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks. Very useful info.
      12-31-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

They make wider and taller ones but I don't think they make a longer one anyway. If you were to find a longer one I would say you have about 5 to 6 inches in the back easily and another 3 to 4 inches in the front.
      01-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #17
ydchoe
Rep

I am looking at Thule Force series (since Atlantis seems to be discontinued). XL size is about same size as 1800 (length 84 inches), but they also offer XXL size which is 92.5 inches in length (8.5 inches longer). According to your picture, XL seems to be better fit for X5; http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...-625-_-1680036, at least for aerodynamically.

Quote:
They make wider and taller ones but I don't think they make a longer one anyway. If you were to find a longer one I would say you have about 5 to 6 inches in the back easily and another 3 to 4 inches in the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #18
X5RIZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 3.5 Msport

How was the X5 with the 19's in the snow
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 09:56 PM   #19
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5RIZ View Post
How was the X5 with the 19's in the snow
I had low expectations and took it up knowing the weather would be ok. Have done several drives on solid ice (gravel sprinkles), and the grip with the all season tires was better than I ecpexted. I slammed in brakes at 20 mph and tried maximum acceleration to see how it would do, and it did well on both, and better on the acceleration -it kept going straight despite all wheels skidding intermittently. If the weather was really nasty I would have driven the LX470.
      01-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #20
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydchoe View Post
I am looking at Thule Force series (since Atlantis seems to be discontinued). XL size is about ...........size...... According to your picture, XL seems to be better fit for X5; ..... at least for aerodynamically.
I agree. Longer would either protrude out a bit in the front or get way to close to the rear hatch at max open.
      01-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #21
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

Ran across this thread. It's an e70 but can see the BMW big box on top.

EDIT: phone app killed the pic! I can't tell if it's the same box as the OP but this is the big BMW version. Just another pic reference!
Attached Images

Last edited by troymi; 01-03-2015 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #22
suza
Rep
Drives: 2015 Xdrive35d

Kayaks

Anyone have suggestions for kayak mounts? We have two - 11' Aquafusion sit-in and 9.5' Perception Tribe SOT. Pictures with kayaks would be great. I want to see the perspective with the boats mounted.

Thanks
Appreciate 0