BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-31-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
MarineOh3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 / 2016 F15

X5 w. InvisiHitch and Kuat NV

I am not going to post a whole InvisiHitch install thread as skalberti has already done a phenomenal write-up here: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1025750 If you are installing InvisiHitch, I highly recommend reviewing his thread before getting started.

Went running today in the Black Forest here in Germany and wanted to post some pics for anyone considering the Kuat NV hitch-mounted bike rack. This thing is a wonderful bike rack. I have the Kuat NV in black and polished chrome along with the two bike extender which allows me to carry up to four bikes. This isn't a review of the Kuat NV; its a thread with a few pics to show anyone interested in the rack how well it fits the X5.

Name:  Kuat 1.jpg
Views: 1943
Size:  723.6 KB

Name:  Kuat 2.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  798.4 KB

My son's small kid's bike is installed on the second closest rail. With his bike on, the lift gate opens and doesn't touch the handlebar. There are probably about 3-4 inches of clearance. Although the rack will 'lean' down to let you get in to the back if you need to, with a small bike this wasn't necessary. If you had a full-size adult bike on, you would have to lean the rack down in order to access the rear of the vehicle. As an aside, the Kuat NV comes with an adapter for smaller bikes for free.

Name:  Kuat 3.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  713.9 KB

Upon removal of the bike, the rack folds up to save space behind you.

Name:  Kuat 4.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  754.3 KB

Even in the 'up' configuration with the 4-bike rack, rear lift gate still clears the rack... but I would be lying if I said the first time doing this didn't make me more than a little nervous. There is about an inch clearance as you open the lift gate. The rack is so solid though that there is no real worry that it will shift or over time lean back into the vehicle.

Name:  Kuat 5.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  655.4 KB

I didn't take my bike today as I was running and he was riding with me, but this rack is fairly big and would easily accommodate four adult-sized bikes with a lot of room to maneuver them on and off. Its absolutely solid and I had no issues with wobble or any noise.

Aside from allowing me to carry a bike for my son, wife, and me, this rack is great with the X5 because I can still access the rear even with all three bikes on without having to lean the rack down - this is a really nice benefit. If you did have a bike on that first rail, though, it would not be possible to access the rear without leaning the rack down, which is a 5-second move.

If you want to read an in-depth review of the Kuat NV, go here: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Bike-Rack-Reviews/Kuat-NV

Last edited by MarineOh3; 07-31-2016 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
JustChris17423.00
PNWX52.00