BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
andrewx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

X6 in Canada?

Hi guys, I know it is a ridiculous question to ask, I am currently living in the Oregon, thinking about getting a master degree in either B.C province or Ontario. First of all, I have never been to Canada before, I know it is cold and snowy, beside that I do not know much about weather and road situation etc.
My first question is the "old" question again: How is X6 drive in snow condition? Besides the tires. I have owned a 2012 ML 350 here in Oregon, it is not as "road feel" as the BMW of course, but I loved it. Especially in Oregon snow weather, it handled like a champion, I was going on highway 80 m with no problem at all.
Second question is I have checked the X6 prices in Canada, they are roughly the same as the US, beside the Provincial tax of course, I am thinking either X6 35i or the X6M, it is a bit extreme I know, but I think since the prices are so close with the 50i(well equipped) and the M,I would choose the M. I am a road trip person, yes, it is fun to boost that exhaust in the M, but I worry that M probably be too "sporty." I know it is a shitty question, but I am having hard time finding the balance point between comfort and horsepower.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
c3r2z8f30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 540ix & 2021 x5 40i

The X6 is great in the snow I always add winter tiers. I don't like to drive with all season tiers during the winter. A M car and non-M car are two different worlds. If you want hp only get the M you will have a blast but if you want less of that, pick between the 3.5 and 5.0 you can add the M Line and add the Adaptive M Suspension. To get some of the X6M feel. Hope this help. I have a 3.5 with PPK and I'm love it. But I also do a lot of city driving so it didn't make a lot of sense getting a bigger engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Cold and snowy? You need to get out more. That said, it depends where you head to in Canada. There are parts of the US that see far more extreme winter conditions than we do. Vancouver and Seattle have very much the same climate. Fairly temperate being so close to the Pacific. Inland, and North...different story, especially through mountain passes. Even though I live in Vancouver, I still have dedicated snows for icy roads, and trips through the mountains. The hilly terrain here as well means grip is key. I cant speak for the X6, but my X5 performs very well in the snow with my Pirelli Ice & Snows.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Given the cost of fuel and speeding tickets in Canada and attitudes of some toward expensive luxury cars, the X6 35i may be a better choice.

One thing you may want to research is the potential cost of speeding tickets in various provinces in Canada. For example, going more than about 31 mph (50 kph) over the speed limit in Ontario may result in a fine up to $10,000.

"In Ontario, if you’re caught going 50 kph over, you can get slapped with a fine ranging from $2000 to $10,000 for stunting."

http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/02/1...t-of-speeding/

Parking an expensive luxury vehicle in larger cities and around a college campus in Canada can be costly or may put the car at risk of vandalism. There will not be many in the college community driving cars like the X6. Such a car may provoke some envy or other negative reactions among your peers. You also may not want to start your time in graduate school affirming stereotypes some Canadians have about Americans.

http://www.alternet.org/everybody-ha...maligned-other
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
samguan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Convertible

I have been living in the Toronto area for over 20 years so I can give you some information.

Toronto area and Vancouver area have tons of BMWs, M series or not. Any university in the Greater Toronto Area or the Greater Vancouver Area, a BMW X6 or X6M is definitely not a rarity. You will find lots of asian kids driving cars that are easily over $100K and beyond. I wouldn't even worry about vandalism, theft or negative reactions from peers.

Americans think Canada just snows all day all year and it's not a fact at all! Many us cities have worst weather than Toronto and Vancouver, you won't find shortage of sports car in winter in Toronto. X6M with snow tires and you will be set for winter. I've seen many GTRs running around here in the winter. I used to own a E93 rwd and never had any issue on snow tires.

Most of the time during a snowstorm, the roads are cleared in couple hours. The general conclusion is that you can drive any car in Ontario winter with winter tires(preffered) or all season tires. As long as the car is not super low which can be a problem anywhere not limited to Canada.

One thing to make your decision easier is the insurance cost, Ontario is known for expensive car insurance. Paying $500-$1000 a month is not even considered outrageous, you can easily lease another BMW for that price. Definitely find out what you're insurance will be before deciding. I've seen many people paying $800 a month for insurance for something like the Subaru STI, I don't know how old you are but expect to pay a lot especially if you are under 25.

Last edited by samguan; 04-09-2016 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
andrewx
Private
Rep

samguan Thanks a lot for the info! I appreciated it!
I am 27 and does Canadian insurances take the driving experiences into account? Such as years of driving? If so, that might decrease the insurance cost down a bit.
I will definitely check out some insurance companies webs before I buy, I have long heard that Canadian insurances are expensive, haha, but I was expecting that much.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
andrewx
Private
Rep

Man speeding tickets stinks!
For years I've been living in Oregon, I was drving my ML 350 with not much problems, (yeah I know it wasn't a ML63 but still) parking in campus areas etc. I totally understand some people might jealous but I guess it is really depends on how you and your car behave in the public tho.
If I act like some people just keep blowing the exhausts the whole time I mean yeah I would be mad too. I am not sure I am right about this in anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #8
andrewx
Private
Rep

I probably will live in Manitoba or Ontario areas, still not sure which one....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
andrewx
Private
Rep

I agree.
I have done some researches on that, people would always pick the M over any other models.
I mean the reason I left out the 50i is because when a 50i well equipped, the final price is very close to a M. I tried to equipped the 35i with M stuff and everyting and it was close to 90K already...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
vangoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewx View Post
samguan Thanks a lot for the info! I appreciated it!
I am 27 and does Canadian insurances take the driving experiences into account? Such as years of driving? If so, that might decrease the insurance cost down a bit.
I will definitely check out some insurance companies webs before I buy, I have long heard that Canadian insurances are expensive, haha, but I was expecting that much.

In BC, you get 5% off for every year you drive without accident until the discount reaches 43%.

I'm paying a bit over ca$210 per month for my x6.
Appreciate 0