BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
Longun 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 4.0D M sport

Mirror dip on when selecting reverse

Anyone know if you can alter where the mirror sets to when you select reverse gear?

I find it dips a little too far for me as I'm 6'5". I want to see more of the road behind me and less of my 469M's!

It's a nice function but i find myslef slipping down in the seat whilst reversing to get a better view of where im heading.

And No I dont have the rear view camera option as I hate using camera's!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Just to add to the original question... does anyone know if you can make both sides dip? I became very used to this on my RR-SC and really utilize the feature.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Passenger side tilts down based on how you set up the mirror at default.

Driver side mirrors do not tilt down. The idea is that ( in the USA ) cars usually parallel park on the right hand side, thus only the right side tilts.
Not sure if it can be coded or not though.
      04-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
Longun 2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Passenger side tilts down based on how you set up the mirror at default.

Driver side mirrors do not tilt down. The idea is that ( in the USA ) cars usually parallel park on the right hand side, thus only the right side tilts.
Not sure if it can be coded or not though.
Hmm, not sure on this one. I have tried moving them up high, but when they tilt they seem to drop to the same position. Ill give it another go mind!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
one way streets, parking lots, narrow driveways, garages, etc. all places the driver's dip comes in handy.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longun 2 View Post
Hmm, not sure on this one. I have tried moving them up high, but when they tilt they seem to drop to the same position. Ill give it another go mind!
Have you pressed the memory on your seat. I think it then remembers mirror settings.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #7
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Or just change your back up camera view to top view

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
kryptik.m5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Passenger mirror tilt in reverse is set to a default angle which can be coded from what I've researched.

BDC_BODY Module:
3110 > ASP_BORDSTEINAUTOMATIK_DELTA

I've seen ppl say their factory default is set to 3B which is roughly 54 degrees and I've read that changing it to 4B sets it at roughly 75 degrees. With that info I'm guessing there would be a 2B which would reduce the angel it lowers.

Give that a try and see if that resolves your issue.

UPDATE: Just tested it and it works. Default was at Werte 3B. At 4B it increases the amount it tilts in comparison to 3B and set to 2B it decreases the tilt amount. Based on what you're suggesting with having to hunch down to get a better view, you'll want to try setting it to 2B. I didn't bother setting it to 1B to see if that does anything, but if you have time you may as well give it a try.

Last edited by kryptik.m5; 04-17-2016 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
one way streets, parking lots, narrow driveways, garages, etc. all places the driver's dip comes in handy.
And I think thats where BMW said... use the top view or surround view cameras
      04-18-2016, 01:13 AM   #10
Longun 2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptik.m5 View Post
Passenger mirror tilt in reverse is set to a default angle which can be coded from what I've researched.

BDC_BODY Module:
3110 > ASP_BORDSTEINAUTOMATIK_DELTA

I've seen ppl say their factory default is set to 3B which is roughly 54 degrees and I've read that changing it to 4B sets it at roughly 75 degrees. With that info I'm guessing there would be a 2B which would reduce the angel it lowers.

Give that a try and see if that resolves your issue.

UPDATE: Just tested it and it works. Default was at Werte 3B. At 4B it increases the amount it tilts in comparison to 3B and set to 2B it decreases the tilt amount. Based on what you're suggesting with having to hunch down to get a better view, you'll want to try setting it to 2B. I didn't bother setting it to 1B to see if that does anything, but if you have time you may as well give it a try.
Thanks Kryptic I'll give this a go. Great info.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:24 AM   #11
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

I fully agree! it tillts toooooo much on reversve, far more than previous E70 did.
(I am also quiet tall - 6,4")

only need to find a coder here
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2016, 04:31 AM   #12
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

no need to code. when this happens, i just switch the button that controls which mirror i want to adjust, on drivers left side.

after i move the button to the other side, the right mirror doesnt fold down in reverse. dont know if its supposed to be like this or if its a glitch...
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 04:45 AM   #13
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappySwede View Post
no need to code. when this happens, i just switch the button that controls which mirror i want to adjust, on drivers left side.

after i move the button to the other side, the right mirror doesnt fold down in reverse. dont know if its supposed to be like this or if its a glitch...
you seem to missed the point, the passenger mirror is supposed to tillt when in reverse, its a standart feature which can be turned on/off as you described

the point here is, that some of us want this feature and use this feature.
but on this F15 the reverse angle tillt is badly set, too much...........
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #14
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
And I think thats where BMW said... use the top view or surround view cameras
unfortunately with park assist the default view cannot be saved as top view so you parking becomes more of a chore than it should be by changing screens and adjusting visibility etc. it is easier to park my full size RR than it is the x5 simply because both mirrors dip and that too offers surround view and top view and rear view camera. it's such a simple feature it should be an option to code or default. it was my main gripe with the Q7 as well. their surround view camera system was awful. it only offered 45 degree view, or an illustration of your vehicle or reverse camera. i can't think of any point in my life where i need 45 degree curb view to see what is there.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #15
Kzang
Major General
Rep

I can understand your frustration, but everyday I park rear end first and I have four concrete columns I have to navigate through... I just use the topview camera by a simple push of the iDrive knob after putting the transmission in reverse.

With that said, I think BMW should have put in the settings to set which view to be default.

Last edited by Kzang; 04-19-2016 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #16
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longun 2 View Post
Anyone know if you can alter where the mirror sets to when you select reverse gear?

I find it dips a little too far for me as I'm 6'5". I want to see more of the road behind me and less of my 469M's!

It's a nice function but i find myslef slipping down in the seat whilst reversing to get a better view of where im heading.

And No I dont have the rear view camera option as I hate using camera's!
Just a guess........ make it tilt and then try to adjust the position for you, then return the gear to drive position and then do reverse again, check if it tilts down where you left it or not.....
      04-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #17
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Just a guess........ make it tilt and then try to adjust the position for you, then return the gear to drive position and then do reverse again, check if it tilts down where you left it or not.....
In my opinnion it works like described here. Then you might have to press the memory button on the seat for it to stick.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #18
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Sorry, I just tried on my F15 and when it is tilted it does not adjust the position, the control button does nothing..........
      04-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #19
kryptik.m5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Sorry, I just tried on my F15 and when it is tilted it does not adjust the position, the control button does nothing..........
The mirror auto-tilt while in reverse has a coded default angle setting that can't be altered by way of driver side control buttons. Regardless of what your mirror is manually set to with those control buttons, the default tilt angle while the vehicle is in reverse within the coding of the vehicle is what it essentially tilts to each and every time as it's an independent function. To change the default tilt angle whenever the car is in reverse and the tilt feature is turned on, you'll need to change the default coded tilt angle with coding.

Now, if you want to do it the manual way, the only way to accomplish this is to adjust the mirror tilt manually, turn off the auto-tilt feature, and back up. Then to restore it to your preferred settings (assuming your setting is saved in the seat memory) just hit the button for your saved seat setting or manually readjust the mirror via control buttons.

Essentially the OP requested a method to have the auto-tilt in reverse angle default reset to something more usable so that he doesn't have to do it manually as described above with auto-tilt turned off every time he's in reverse or use up 1 of 2 of his seat memories just for reverse. At which point, coding seems to be the only way to resolve his issue. It would be nice if BMW did have the angle setting as a selectable option within the iDrive menu though, as well as the option for which mirror or both to tilt while in reverse. Wishful thinking...

Last edited by kryptik.m5; 04-19-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #20
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
With that said, I think BMW should have put in the settings to set which view to be default.
i have the automatic parking option and the default view is set to that even if you set it to top view. once you cycle the ignition it goes back to the the park-assist feature and view not top view. it is unfortunate but at this point it's not really an issue i concern myself with... it really is a "1st world" problem and more of an annoyance than anything else. i can live with it but would prefer to not to.
Appreciate 0