Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBeau View Post
I flashed the 50i tonight using the bm3 software... It's whole different animal now . Didn't get to drive it too much after the install but initial impressions are excellent. I was able to get on the gas in comfort, sport and sport+ but for short intervals. Longest was in sport mode and it launched me from 45 to 80 in a heartbeat. The amount of torque is incredible . I didn't get on it from a stop only from a roll. I'll have more input tomorrow after I drive it on the interstate and get a few digs in from a stop. Very impressed with this tune and, while the install wasn't seamless, the online support was excellent. More to come...
Are you worried about them seeing the drilled holes in your ecu?
Drilled holes???
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 08:37 PM   #90
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I flashed the 50i tonight using the bm3 software... It's whole different animal now . Didn't get to drive it too much after the install but initial impressions are excellent. I was able to get on the gas in comfort, sport and sport+ but for short intervals. Longest was in sport mode and it launched me from 45 to 80 in a heartbeat. The amount of torque is incredible . I didn't get on it from a stop only from a roll. I'll have more input tomorrow after I drive it on the interstate and get a few digs in from a stop. Very impressed with this tune and, while the install wasn't seamless, the online support was excellent. More to come...
Drilled holes???
The bootmod flash tune or any flash tune requires them to drill holes into the ecu housing to access it, that's how the flash the car. That's why so many people are scared to flash vs piggy back or dinan because it would void your warranty with bmws new software. They'll send your info straight to BMW NA and if anything ever happens you're screwed.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 08:42 PM   #91
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
The bootmod flash tune or any flash tune requires them to drill holes into the ecu housing to access it, that's how the flash the car. That's why so many people are scared to flash vs piggy back or dinan because it would void your warranty with bmws new software. They'll send your info straight to BMW NA and if anything ever happens you're screwed.
The old way was to pull out your ecu/ dme and send it in where they would bench flash it - meaning they install a cable and download the software into your ecu or remoltly now via email with you using a laptop and cable to hook up to your obd2 port. I don’t know of any holes to be drilled?
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 09:12 PM   #92
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
Quote:
The old way was to pull out your ecu/ dme and send it in where they would bench flash it - meaning they install a cable and download the software into your ecu or remoltly now via email with you using a laptop and cable to hook up to your obd2 port. I donÂ’t know of any holes to be drilled?
I mean how old? This was done 7 months ago on my friends M6 through bootmod.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 09:17 PM   #93
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Drilled holes???
No need for that anymore. Everything can be done with a laptop and a cable.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 09:34 PM   #94
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
I feel like someone is trying to punk you or this is sarcasm, I'm not able to tell.

But no, bmw will not physically see anything. But if they looked deep enough into the ecu even if you flashed back to stock they will see boost levels and a lot of other variables outside of stock. But it's typically only if a puma case is opened.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 01:44 AM   #95
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Quote:
I feel like someone is trying to punk you or this is sarcasm, I'm not able to tell.

But no, bmw will not physically see anything. But if they looked deep enough into the ecu even if you flashed back to stock they will see boost levels and a lot of other variables outside of stock. But it's typically only if a puma case is opened.
Are you talking about what I am saying or what he is saying? I am absolutely positive almost every flash tune cracks open the ecu to flash...

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 05:50 AM   #96
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Are you talking about what I am saying or what he is saying? I am absolutely positive almost every flash tune cracks open the ecu to flash...
Not anymore. It's all done through the OBD2 port. There is no need to physically touch the ECUs anymore.
      04-01-2018, 06:41 AM   #97
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you mean actually crack open the ecu like physically? That's a bench flash which in essence is the same but as stated this is all through the obd port with a personal computer. No part ever has to leave the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 07:02 AM   #98
CT335xi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Do you mean actually crack open the ecu like physically? That's a bench flash which in essence is the same but as stated this is all through the obd port with a personal computer. No part ever has to leave the car.
I think maybe he is referring to the term crack the ecu as in they have unlocked it and began writing software . I remember hearing how some would say that they haven’t been able to crack that ecu, hence why some platforms take longer to develop a tune / flash. There aren’t many options with our n63 but as you see there’s a plethora of n54 and n55 tunes.
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #99
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not any more. Thats the old way of doing some ecus.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #100
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
I think maybe he is referring to the term crack the ecu as in they have unlocked it and began writing software . I remember hearing how some would say that they haven’t been able to crack that ecu, hence why some platforms take longer to develop a tune / flash. There aren’t many options with our n63 but as you see there’s a plethora of n54 and n55 tunes.
I am very familiar with the saying. But the part about drilling holes into the ecu threw me for a loop and caused metaphorical confusion.

Either way, if people are deciding flash tune, no one should be sending out an ecu anymore once a feasible at home flashing software is introduced. PTF has been around bmw tuning platform for a little now and makes a solid product. For all us 50i owners, the stage 1 tune we are asking for is child's play and no risk involved unless you do something wrong on your end.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #101
CT335xi
Major
Rep

Quote:
I am very familiar with the saying. But the part about drilling holes into the ecu threw me for a loop and caused metaphorical confusion.

Either way, if people are deciding flash tune, no one should be sending out an ecu anymore once a feasible at home flashing software is introduced. PTF has been around bmw tuning platform for a little now and makes a solid product. For all us 50i owners, the stage 1 tune we are asking for is child's play and no risk involved unless you do something wrong on your end.
Totally agree so much has changed, I remember back in the day with my older e30 m3’s / obd1 and actually opening the ecu to replace the chip, man I regret getting rid of that car.
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #102
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Hey guys, no need to drill holes anymore - now it's a port flashing via OBDII port. After you port flash it - that is unlocking it - that's why earlier it required to drill holes. After that you can start using any OBDII tunes, including BM3.
BM3 is just a software that allows you to flash different maps etc. Maps itself are where catch 22 is. You still need to choose proper one - off the shelf maps in BM3 database are mediocre. However, you'll be able to find some good ones I'm sure in their database (they have BPC too!)

BM3 license is transferable tho - so that's a good thing - when you'll sell your car you just flash it to stock and let BM3 know and you can take your license with you to another car (another VIN).

Stage 2 with 22+ psi is a beast of the beasts - need a 93 and DP tho

I myself am done with modding and going back to sedentary life lol. Priorities changed in life.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #103
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Guys - It's not that old. Even bootmod was doing this a year ago. I had an M4 and an M6 both tuned. I just checked their website and you are right, it's no longer required but that's how every flash tune worked before.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #104
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Hey guys, no need to drill holes anymore - now it's a port flashing via OBDII port. After you port flash it - that is unlocking it - that's why earlier it required to drill holes. After that you can start using any OBDII tunes, including BM3.
BM3 is just a software that allows you to flash different maps etc. Maps itself are where catch 22 is. You still need to choose proper one - off the shelf maps in BM3 database are mediocre. However, you'll be able to find some good ones I'm sure in their database (they have BPC too!)

BM3 license is transferable tho - so that's a good thing - when you'll sell your car you just flash it to stock and let BM3 know and you can take your license with you to another car (another VIN).

Stage 2 with 22+ psi is a beast of the beasts - need a 93 and DP tho

I myself am done with modding and going back to sedentary life lol. Priorities changed in life.
Now that you've had it for a while, how are you liking your BPC stage 1? Any drivability issues at all? Have you scanned/checked to see how much boost it is creating?
      04-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #105
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

Quote:
Guys - It's not that old. Even bootmod was doing this a year ago. I had an M4 and an M6 both tuned. I just checked their website and you are right, it's no longer required but that's how every flash tune worked before.
You are correct, it’s not that old on f series cars/Ecus. BMW and others are making it harder to crack the ecu encryption with each new generation. G series cars with b series engines are still not cracked and you have to use piggy backs on them. It will be years before there is flashing tuning on them.

Even on the e series cars it started as bench flashing before odb port flashing was figured out.

Last edited by redline9001; 04-02-2018 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 05:27 AM   #106
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Now that you've had it for a while, how are you liking your BPC stage 1? Any drivability issues at all? Have you scanned/checked to see how much boost it is creating?
It's perfect! No drivability issues. I'm keeping it as a family vehicle for next 10 years lol. My focus will shift to longevity and maintenance now.
I haven't scanned for boost pressure, but I'm sure Bob at BPC kept it on safer level - meaning there's a potential there for sure. I remember him mentioning 1.3-1.4 bar pressure - which is about 18-20psi. Unfortunately never made it to Stage 2 as I wanted. Hopefully some of you guys will do it. N63TU has tons of potential and with 21+ psi boost it can be a beast. Bob also does transmission tuning. I have him change torque limiters etc on Sport/Sport+ modes and I have stock tranny values on ECO/Comfort modes. That doesn't affect power of course, but decreases acceleration time.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #107
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I mean its in the past and not the current way so yea its the old way.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #108
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Quote:
Any more feedback and thoughts on this tune since you have had it for a while and it has probably adapted plenty by now? Notice anything different? Any performance metrics to share?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #109
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTWW View Post
Quote:
Any more feedback and thoughts on this tune since you have had it for a while and it has probably adapted plenty by now? Notice anything different? Any performance metrics to share?
It's a BEAST! I'm still amazed how much of a difference it made. The power is always there and... THE TORQUE = Holy Shit Batman! Call me crazy but it pulls harder than the modded 2011 CTS-V I had. I've never driven an X5 M but it would be nice to drive one and compare. Can't even imagine what a tuned S63tu motor would be like. I believe BM3 has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so you can get your money back if you're not impressed. Odds are... you won't be requesting a refund.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #110
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's a BEAST! I'm still amazed how much of a difference it made. The power is always there and... THE TORQUE = Holy Shit Batman! Call me crazy but it pulls harder than the modded 2011 CTS-V I had. I've never driven an X5 M but it would be nice to drive one and compare. Can't even imagine what a tuned S63tu motor would be like. I believe BM3 has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so you can get your money back if you're not impressed. Odds are... you won't be requesting a refund.
What about the throttle responsiveness and transmission downshift issues you mentioned earlier?