BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
carlosc04
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6M

Warranty Help

Hi guys, Im new to this forum, Ive had my X6M for a year already and absolutely love it, never had issues with it till last week. I live in south Texas, where the weather is crazy one day is hot the other day is raining then its cold and so on. We had 3 days of non stop rain, which caused the majority of the streets from my city to flood. I left the X6 outside my house not thinking the streets were going to flood. To make this "story" short the truck didn't flood but the water did reach up to the half of the wheel. I didn't move it at all, I waited till the water got lower to move the truck further in my drive way. As soon as I started the truck I had a service light, can't recall what it said, but it said something like keep speed below speed limit and a pic of what appeared to be the front axle. Took the truck to the dealer, dealer is saying that the truck had water inside the intercoolers and gave me a quote of all the work that needed to be done, which equaled to like 4k in parts and labor, and they told me that it would have to be out of my pocket since it Was in a way my fault. SO I decline the work to be done and told them to just change the oil and the air filters, since the paper air filters were damaged by the water. Now the dealer is wanting me to pay $630.00 for the oil change and the filters and the service light to be deleted. Now my questions is this, if Iam in the program that BMW offers, where you don't pay for service, or maintenance, Should I have to pay this? Isn't oil changes and filters part of maintenance? any help or advice would help thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

BMW maintenance program covers "scheduled" maintenance. Shouldn't damage to your car be covered under your comprehensive auto insurance?
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003741.00
      07-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Water was only "half of the wheel" but got inside the intake? How?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Maybe insurance?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
carlosc04
Registered
Rep

My vehicle is under my business name, which requires a business insurance. My deductible is way high. Thats why I didn't go that route. From what I recall the I only saw water up to the half of the wheel. According to them the filters were wet and thats how the water got into the intercoolers. According to them the truck has like air ducts down near the bumper to get cold air in, and that, that was the way water got into the trucks, air filters and intercoolers
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

My guess is that your car got flooded higher than the wheels and you only saw it when the water was receding. Oil change is covered under the scheduled maintenance, so if you had oil change done on your own schedule then it is out of pocket... however an oil chance would cost $630 sounds crazy.. never knew a X6M oil change would cost that much. I would ask around other dealers to see how much an oil change is for a BMW X6M for comparison to see if they are charging you correctly.
      07-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosc04 View Post
My vehicle is under my business name, which requires a business insurance. My deductible is way high. Thats why I didn't go that route. From what I recall the I only saw water up to the half of the wheel.
Are you saying that the comprehensive deductible on your insurance is greater than the $4000 repair quote?

Quote:
According to them the truck has like air ducts down near the bumper to get cold air in, and that, that was the way water got into the trucks, air filters and intercoolers
This is bull. The air intake and filters are on top of the radiator, and they have drain holes in the bottom of the housing. It is not likely to soak the filters and flood the intercoolers unless standing water was above the level of the grill. In addition, in order for water to get to the intercoolers, it would first have to pass through the compressor side of the turbos, most likely destroying them as well. Something is fishy here. Either the water was way higher than you reported as Kzang suggested, or your intercoolers, turbos (and probably air filters) are fine and the dealer is full of $hit.

Last edited by Rotzy; 07-10-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #8
carlosc04
Registered
Rep

yes my deductible is actually 5k. Im not sure whats going on with the dealer, but with all this aside, my question is, should I be paying for the oil change and filters even though it was not required, but decided it was best since they found water in the intercoolers. They are also charging me for the service light that they cleared. Or should that be covered by warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #9
BettyWhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 335d

Quote:
yes my deductible is actually 5k. Im not sure whats going on with the dealer, but with all this aside, my question is, should I be paying for the oil change and filters even though it was not required, but decided it was best since they found water in the intercoolers. They are also charging me for the service light that they cleared. Or should that be covered by warranty?
The answer to your question is no. BMW should not pay for it since it is not scheduled maintenance. The damage to the air filters and the cause of the check engine light was caused by outside influence and is not a workmanship or material defect.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:07 AM   #10
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyWhite View Post
The answer to your question is no. BMW should not pay for it since it is not scheduled maintenance. The damage to the air filters and the cause of the check engine light was caused by outside influence and is not a workmanship or material defect.
My thoughts as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #11
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

If water actually got inside the intercoolers, then the problem maybe more serious than you thought. If it were me, I would let Indy shop do a full check, and than decide if I need to go for insurance. You don’t want to spend $4k on repair this time and then found out other damage later.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
Mjbmw1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

As long as the water wasn't like this high you should be fine

https://youtu.be/3jgvtu6N0Tc
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #13
hacabrera071
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 (F15)

Quote:
Hi guys, Im new to this forum, Ive had my X6M for a year already and absolutely love it, never had issues with it till last week. I live in south Texas, where the weather is crazy one day is hot the other day is raining then its cold and so on. We had 3 days of non stop rain, which caused the majority of the streets from my city to flood. I left the X6 outside my house not thinking the streets were going to flood. To make this "story" short the truck didn't flood but the water did reach up to the half of the wheel. I didn't move it at all, I waited till the water got lower to move the truck further in my drive way. As soon as I started the truck I had a service light, can't recall what it said, but it said something like keep speed below speed limit and a pic of what appeared to be the front axle. Took the truck to the dealer, dealer is saying that the truck had water inside the intercoolers and gave me a quote of all the work that needed to be done, which equaled to like 4k in parts and labor, and they told me that it would have to be out of my pocket since it Was in a way my fault. SO I decline the work to be done and told them to just change the oil and the air filters, since the paper air filters were damaged by the water. Now the dealer is wanting me to pay $630.00 for the oil change and the filters and the service light to be deleted. Now my questions is this, if Iam in the program that BMW offers, where you don't pay for service, or maintenance, Should I have to pay this? Isn't oil changes and filters part of maintenance? any help or advice would help thanks
Do you by any chance live in McAllen man?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacabrera071 View Post
Do you by any chance live in McAllen man?
Does he by any chance drive an X6M?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #15
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Does he by any chance drive an X6M?
Hah haa! Is this the X5 forum by any chance
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #16
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1000 View Post
Hah haa! Is this the X5 forum by any chance
Am I typing this on a keyboard by chance?
Appreciate 0