11-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #309
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsblackmon
From the outside the rear windows looks very very dark with shades up. Wondering how NJ police will receive it. Lots of folks get pulled over with much lighter tints.
Reminds me of the first time I was in a bar that got raided while I was actually of age.. I slowly finished my beer in front of a cop, just asking to be carded, which I was. He wasn't as amused as I was

Tint officer? nope, just keeping the sun out of my toddlers eyes lol
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #310
ybd2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

The latest: hopefully this is helpful to others re: what to expect regarding timing.

Ordered: 10/17/2013
Scheduled for Production: 10/25/2013
Entered Production: 11/14/2013
Entered "body shop:" 11/20/2013
Entered "paint shop:" 11/21/2013
Entered "assembly:" 11/22/2013
Completed date: 11/22/2013
Scheduled delivery to dealer: 11/26/2013. (Fingers crossed.)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #311
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Well my order is going in today, so I'm posting the new configuration with some justification for the options (to remind myself why I'm poor come Jan/Feb next year lol)

Order placed in the UK, production is scheduled to start December with a delivery date sometime Jan/Feb:

3.0d MSport, Carbon Black, Ivory White/Black Nevada

Comfort Seats - Mandatory, I have them in the F11 and they make short/long journeys a pleasure

Active Security Package: Dynamic Safety, Ext Folding and auto dimming mirrors, Lane Change Warning System - Had BLIS on a range rover and liked it, its a good safety feature. While looking over my shoulder I'm not looking forward, so that has to help.

Driving Assistant Plus with ACC + Traffic Jam Assistant - Mandatory. The 2nd best feature on my F11, it makes monotonous journeys easier, and stressful (bad weather) journeys safer. The TJA can only help that.

ConnectedDrive - sure they didn't used to charge for this, but half the iDrive systems depend on it so no choice but to order I guess

Harmon Kardon - It's a big expensive car, it needs a decent sound system

Pano Glass sunroof - Not mandatory but improves the daily ambience, and the kids will love it.

Sun protection glass - for the kids

Third Row Seating - for the kids/grandparents for trips to the coast

Adaptive Headlights with HBA - Loving the look of the new adaptive high beam select technology. I found the previous gen HBA a little slow to respond and often got flashed by people who had been dazzled

Internet - Not really bothered either way, but its that cheap I thought I'd give it a go.

Heated Front Seats - Needed in UK winters

Heated Steering Wheel - Needed in UK winters

Reverse Assist Camera - Only just added this, and hope it doesn't delay the order. I had it on a LR Disco4 and liked it, but Ive never reversed into anything (yet), so how needed is it? That said, its a big car and reversing will be much safer especially with children around.

Comfort Access - not needed at all. Struggled to justify this, but I'm counting this one as a Christmas present Again had it on a LR Disco4 and really liked it, so convenient.

19" alloys - much prefer the looks of the 20" wheels, but £1200 buys me a lot more options. Plus I reckon the ride quality will be more comfortable. The 19" come with All-Season tyres so for the amount of snow we get in the UK, might mean I avoid buying winter tyres. We shall see. If I end up having to buy winter tyres I'll consider the 19" AS wheels a mistake - I may as well have gone 20" summer wheels, and bought some 19" winter wheels later.

Options/Models considered and rejected:
20" alloys - as per 19" comments
SE Dynamic Pack - I prefer the look of the MSport, and its much better value as a package, resale also much higher. Prefer the SE Comfort Suspension, but the adaptive M suspension in comfort mode is fine.
2.5d - PCP residuals suggest the 3.0d will hold its value better, meaning the only real advantage to the 2.0d is a couple of better MPG. Power in the 3.0d is more fun.
Adaptive LED headlights - $1.5k dollars more than Adaptive Xenons with HBA - really not worth it for the amount of night time driving I do. Not even close. Can't say I'm too bothered that they look better either, as I'm in the car most of the time and don't see the lights.
Universal Remote - already have a remote garage door opener
HUD - I like polarised sunglasses, and can't justify the $1.6k for HUD
Rear Seat Entertainment - $3.5k! How many ipads for that much? I can control each iPad remotely from the front, using BT and an iPhone app called tango remote. Works perfectly - any film or song displayed at any time, pause, rewind, etc.
Towbar - Might be useful for towing the bikes, but can get a bike rack for when that happens
Online Entertainment - I have all the music I need on my fixed iPod
Enhanced BT - struggled with this one. Don't need 2 phones to be connected at once, and SMS/email/Calendar transfer while handy, isn't necessary and may even be distracting. Also concerned they might not work with an iPhone 5 with iOS7. Any other reasons I should include this?
Soft Close Doors - useful for when my oldest doesn't shut the door properly (often), but not $900 useful
Comfort Seats Rear - I think we get these with the 3rd row option?
4 zone Aircon - Useful for the kids, but they will only wind each other up, pressing the buttons trying to freeze each other
TV Function - Only works when stationary and Id rather use my iPhone
Surround View - sorely tempted by this one but its another $800, and I don't have a problem parking, so would be more of a gimmick, albeit one that makes parking easier

Last edited by archivedaccount; 11-25-2013 at 03:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #312
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^ Eaglesrest, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Should you require changes ( not than any are required), they can be done up till say 6 days before production. I have learned about many options from others sharing. For example, speed limit info, the fact that NA cannot get Traffic Jam Assistant ( ACC supposedly does the same thing, but there must be some difference), the BMWNA misinformation about Rear view camera & Top view (on 50i) and Surroundview.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #313
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
^ Eaglesrest, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Should you require changes ( not than any are required), they can be done up till say 6 days before production. I have learned about many options from others sharing. For example, speed limit info, the fact that NA cannot get Traffic Jam Assistant ( ACC supposedly does the same thing, but there must be some difference), the BMWNA misinformation about Rear view camera & Top view (on 50i) and Surroundview.
No problem. I think the 2 key differences between UK TJA and NA ACC are:
1. When the vehicle comes to a complete stop with ACC engaged, after 3 seconds it disengages, so if the vehicle in-front has not moved within that time, the operator has to re-engage the cruise either by pressing the accelerator or pressing the cruise button. This is how it works on my F11 ACC. With TJA the cruise never disengages and will start automatically when the vehicle in front moves off.

2. With TJA the vehicle will steer the car within lane, up to 40 km/h as long as 2 fingers are on the steering wheel. I guess it uses the Lane Departure warning camera to track the lane lines on the road surface.

Another regulatory difference between NA and UK vehicles is the new High Beam Assistant. In the UK it selectively dips individual beams for individual cars intelligently. This effectively means that High Beams are always on to some degree, maximising road illumination. In NA it operates like the older HBA so its either High Beam On , or High Beam Off.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #314
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

My timeline so far:

xDrive 35i M sport, Mineral White / Terra / Aluminum Hexagon, premium package, back-up camera, rear comfort seats, rear window shades:

11/5 - order placed
11/8 - 112 status "scheduled for daily production pack"
11/18 - 150 - "in production," estimated completion date 12/2
11/25 - body shop, estimated completion date updated to 11/27

remains to be seen if/how Thanksgiving will interfere with transport, but it's looking like it should be here next week, barring a lost week due to the holiday.. Either way, should line us up for the December program, though I don't have high hopes it will change at all from November.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #315
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
My timeline so far:

xDrive 35i M sport, Mineral White / Terra / Aluminum Hexagon, premium package, back-up camera, rear comfort seats, rear window shades:

11/5 - order placed
11/8 - 112 status "scheduled for daily production pack"
11/18 - 150 - "in production," estimated completion date 12/2
11/25 - body shop, estimated completion date updated to 11/27

remains to be seen if/how Thanksgiving will interfere with transport, but it's looking like it should be here next week, barring a lost week due to the holiday.. Either way, should line us up for the December program, though I don't have high hopes it will change at all from November.
Good luck bro! Your timeline was fairly quick - under 5 weeks. I hope your delivery isn't effected by the horrible east coast weather this week :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #316
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan
Good luck bro! Your timeline was fairly quick - under 5 weeks. I hope your delivery isn't effected by the horrible east coast weather this week :-(
Thanks! Over here, 3-5 weeks is pretty standard. I don't think the weather will impact me as much as the holiday likely will.

Last edited by chrisny; 11-25-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #317
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

So you did not order the Driver Assistant Package? I also ordered the backup camera separate and unfortunately realized that was a huge mistake because you ge this cheap instrument cluster that does not have the extended LCD. I am furious with my dealer and BMW because of that.

Quote:
Thanks. Over here, 3-5 weeks is pretty standard. I don't think the weather will impact me as much as the holiday likely will.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #318
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971
So you did not order the Driver Assistant Package? I also ordered the backup camera separate and unfortunately realized that was a huge mistake because you ge this cheap instrument cluster that does not have the extended LCD. I am furious with my dealer and BMW because of that.
I didn't. I actually changed my mind and tried to add driver assistance and driver assistance plus on Monday last week but our car went into production that day, so it was too late. After driving my wife's X3 to PA for the weekend (3.5 hours each way), I found myself missing the HUD I have in my car, wish I had gotten it on the X5. I keep the steering wheel low, can't see the speedo without ducking my head a little. Gets annoying, 3.5 hours on the interstates. I think that will bother me more than the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #319
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, be prepared to be frustrated with the instrument cluster. After many complains to BMW I was offered to return the car to my dealer but next available production date was March 2014 so I gave up on that. Will be more careful when ordering a BMW in the future.

Quote:
I didn't. I actually changed my mind and tried to add driver assistance and driver assistance plus on Monday last week but our car went into production that day, so it was too late.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #320
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
Well, be prepared to be frustrated with the instrument cluster. After many complains to BMW I was offered to return the car to my dealer but next available production date was March 2014 so I gave up on that. Will be more careful when ordering a BMW in the future.
I have been following your posts re: the cluster - must be frustrating - so is the primary problem with your cluster the lack of daytime backlighting ?

Or is it the analogue nature of the gauges (compared to the "almost" full LCD on the extended display) ?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #321
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Lack of daytime backlighting for sure. I couldn't care less for HUD that adds the extended display with LCD. However, the lack of lighting during the day is unacceptable. My 10 year old Infiniti has that. In situations when you get a cloudy day which is not enough to trigger the lights to turn on and get the orange lighting on the panel you can barely see the gauges.

My biggest frustration is that I was never told I would not get the daytime backlighting if I did not get the Driver Assistant Package. I got backup camera separate since I did not care for HUD but I would get the full package if I knew it. It was an extra $1000 on a $70k car so not a huge deal. The car the dealer showed had the daytime backlighting and I even took picture of that to show to my wife. The dealer claims they had no idea BMW was using two different instrument clusters on the same car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
I have been following your posts re: the cluster - must be frustrating - so is the primary problem with your cluster the lack of daytime backlighting ?

Or is it the analogue nature of the gauges (compared to the "almost" full LCD on the extended display) ?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #322
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lack of daytime backlighting for sure. I couldn't care less for HUD that adds the extended display with LCD. However, the lack of lighting during the day is unacceptable. My 10 year old Infiniti has that. In situations when you get a cloudy day which is not enough to trigger the lights to turn on and get the orange lighting on the panel you can barely see the gauges.

My biggest frustration is that I was never told I would not get the daytime backlighting if I did not get the Driver Assistant Package. I got backup camera separate since I did not care for HUD but I would get the full package if I knew it. It was an extra $1000 on a $70k car so not a huge deal. The car the dealer showed had the daytime backlighting and I even took picture of that to show to my wife. The dealer claims they had no idea BMW was using two different instrument clusters on the same car.
Yeah that would drive me nuts as well (I have less than no patience lol) ... ughh ... sucks that you have to be frustrated by this seemingly ridiculous issue on your new ride ... my local dealer also had no clue whatsoever about the different clusters, pros/cons of each, and which packages triggers one vs. the other. Very annoying that BMW did not clarify this - there is not even a mention of this in the order guide ...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #323
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

What sucks is that I talked to several supervisors at BMW NA and all they can say is that they apologize for the situation but there is nothing they can do to solve my problem. It is between me and the dealer which does not help at all. Dealer wants my car back asap so they can sell it and make a profit (they say they have a buyer for the car today) since someone out there is willing to pay a premium to get the car now instead of waiting until March. And btw, I have to take a bus everyday until March since they won't provide me with a loaner.

I guess this dealer won't see my face anymore and if I buy a BMW again it will be from another dealer. That is how they care about customer loyalty since I got 4 BMW from the same dealer in the last 8 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
Yeah that would drive me nuts as well (I have less than no patience lol) ... ughh ... sucks that you have to be frustrated by this seemingly ridiculous issue on your new ride ... my local dealer also had no clue whatsoever about the different clusters, pros/cons of each, and which packages triggers one vs. the other. Very annoying that BMW did not clarify this - there is not even a mention of this in the order guide ...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #324
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
What sucks is that I talked to several supervisors at BMW NA and all they can say is that they apologize for the situation but there is nothing they can do to solve my problem. It is between me and the dealer which does not help at all. Dealer wants my car back asap so they can sell it and make a profit (they say they have a buyer for the car today) since someone out there is willing to pay a premium to get the car now instead of waiting until March. And btw, I have to take a bus everyday until March since they won't provide me with a loaner.

I guess this dealer won't see my face anymore and if I buy a BMW again it will be from another dealer. That is how they care about customer loyalty since I got 4 BMW from the same dealer in the last 8 years.
Sadly if the car is as you ordered it, and you took delivery, there's really nothing they're obliged to do at all.

However, if it's annoying you that much it sounds like it'd be worth ordering a new car and unloading this one. It's not that long a wait, and you'll likely have this car for a while.

It might be worth offering two options to the stealership:

1. OK, order me a new car, and you can have this one back as soon as my new one arrives. Just let me know what you'll be expecting to deduct for mileage when I turn it back in in otherwise "as-new" condition?

2. OK, I'm unhappy, but you can have this car back and I'll order a new one. What crappy trade do you have that you'll let me drive for no cost until my new car arrives?

You may get traction, you may not.... otherwise you could always rent one (you'll have no payments for a while)?

The upside - at least you'll get TJA and the option of Park Assist on your post December build F15?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #325
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Tks for your thoughts. I would return it and even rent a crapy car until March if this was my car and I was not living in MN in the winter season. However, my wife drives the X5 and she feels safe on that big car during the winter and she is the one that drives the kids around. I only enjoy the X5 on weekends Thus, a stupid instrument cluster won't justify going through all this hassle. She is not techie at all so she wouldn't care less for the extended display.

If the dealer cared about customer loyalty they could certainly do something but they already proved they couldn't care less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
Sadly if the car is as you ordered it, and you took delivery, there's really nothing they're obliged to do at all.

However, if it's annoying you that much it sounds like it'd be worth ordering a new car and unloading this one. It's not that long a wait, and you'll likely have this car for a while.

It might be worth offering two options to the stealership:

1. OK, order me a new car, and you can have this one back as soon as my new one arrives. Just let me know what you'll be expecting to deduct for mileage when I turn it back in in otherwise "as-new" condition?

2. OK, I'm unhappy, but you can have this car back and I'll order a new one. What crappy trade do you have that you'll let me drive for no cost until my new car arrives?

You may get traction, you may not.... otherwise you could always rent one (you'll have no payments for a while)?

The upside - at least you'll get TJA and the option of Park Assist on your post December build F15?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #326
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
No problem. I think the 2 key differences between UK TJA and NA ACC are:
1. When the vehicle comes to a complete stop with ACC engaged, after 3 seconds it disengages, so if the vehicle in-front has not moved within that time, the operator has to re-engage the cruise either by pressing the accelerator or pressing the cruise button. This is how it works on my F11 ACC. With TJA the cruise never disengages and will start automatically when the vehicle in front moves off.

2. With TJA the vehicle will steer the car within lane, up to 40 km/h as long as 2 fingers are on the steering wheel. I guess it uses the Lane Departure warning camera to track the lane lines on the road surface.

Another regulatory difference between NA and UK vehicles is the new High Beam Assistant. In the UK it selectively dips individual beams for individual cars intelligently. This effectively means that High Beams are always on to some degree, maximising road illumination. In NA it operates like the older HBA so its either High Beam On , or High Beam Off.
Thanks. Your explanation is quite detailed, Many Salespeople in NA are knowledgeable about various options. You know so much more but also the differences from 2 countries. I find Speed Limit Info useful, but it does have flaws.

Last edited by barcelona; 11-25-2013 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: CA NOT as knowledgable wrt options/features
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #327
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

How long after getting your vin are people seeing their options when they enter their vin on a vin decoder website? I've had mine since Monday last week and so far bmwarchive.org thinks my X5 is a 5 series built in 1987 lol. Other sites just don't recognize the vin as valid at all. I got the vin from both my CA and the 800#.

Series: E28
Market: Europa
Model description: 525e
Engine: M20
Chassis: Limousine
Production date: 07/1987
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #328
ybd2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
How long after getting your vin are people seeing their options when they enter their vin on a vin decoder website? I've had mine since Monday last week and so far bmwarchive.org thinks my X5 is a 5 series built in 1987 lol. Other sites just don't recognize the vin as valid at all. I got the vin from both my CA and the 800#.

LOL, I had the exact same experience. My VIN # only began to work and identified my X5 properly beginning at the time the car was in "Assembly" as part of the ending of the "production" process.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #329
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ahh. Ok as long as I wasn't given a bogus vin lol. I think I'll hit assembly tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #330
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

For me about a week. Yup it previously had similar description for 5er, Europe
Appreciate 0