BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

05-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #23
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn325ci View Post
I'd comment from a results view. We are extremely happy with the way the X5 rides and handles across the modes, and given what I've read from others about 20" wheels with the base suspension, I think the 2VM DDC is really doing a great job, and the graph is true. I really can't say enough about how pleased we are with it.

Winter tires - I started from the view that I'm not going to buy an X5 without the style 451 20" wheels. The X5 just looks too awesome with the wide 20's. Before the winter comes, I will do one of two things: either buy an aftermarket set of wheels for the summer and put true winters on the 451's, or buy good all-seasons (like Conti DWS) for the 451's. Due to cost and complexity, I will probably just choose the latter.
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Like I said before I really, really like the 451 20" wheels. But the issue is the tires. Your idea of going with the Conti DWS makes a lot of sense for those of us who live in areas where snow and bad weather are a reality. My dilemma is that I wanted the third row seat which means there is no room for a spare tire. I just seems like someone should be making a run flat 20" all season tire. Then I could have everything I want!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #24
dn325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Like I said before I really, really like the 451 20" wheels. But the issue is the tires. Your idea of going with the Conti DWS makes a lot of sense for those of us who live in areas where snow and bad weather are a reality. My dilemma is that I wanted the third row seat which means there is no room for a spare tire. I just seems like someone should be making a run flat 20" all season tire. Then I could have everything I want!
This might be a Murphy's Law waiting to happen, but I truly don't think I need a run-flat, with or without a spare.

1. We drive a lot, but we haven't had a flat tire in more than 10 years. Honestly, how often do you get flat tires? For that frequency of repair, I'm not going to go overboard.
2. When you do have a flat tire, how often does it start with a slow leak? Some % of the time, you're going to pick it up on TPMS first anyway.
3. My wife is primary driver. There is no way she's changing a tire. She's a saint, but she has no mechanical inclination whatsoever. We all have our strengths. She'll be calling for assistance, no matter what.

All of that simply to say, I'm comfortable putting non-runflats on.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #25
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn325ci View Post
This might be a Murphy's Law waiting to happen, but I truly don't think I need a run-flat, with or without a spare.

1. We drive a lot, but we haven't had a flat tire in more than 10 years. Honestly, how often do you get flat tires? For that frequency of repair, I'm not going to go overboard.
2. When you do have a flat tire, how often does it start with a slow leak? Some % of the time, you're going to pick it up on TPMS first anyway.
3. My wife is primary driver. There is no way she's changing a tire. She's a saint, but she has no mechanical inclination whatsoever. We all have our strengths. She'll be calling for assistance, no matter what.

All of that simply to say, I'm comfortable putting non-runflats on.
All very good points. I will have to rethink my perceived need for run flat tires, be they 19" or 20". Thanks for your insight!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #26
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Now that you've had your Sparkling Brown X5 for awhile I was wondering if you are still happy with the color. Those videos and pictures at the PDC almost have me sold on the color combination.

Thanks for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #27
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Went with my wife today to the local BMW dealer as we are only a month away from ordering our 2015 35d. She really really liked the sparkling brown exterior, I believe it was her favorite as she felt the color to be very unique and loved how the metallic flakes "popped". So I have several questions now:

1. I am guessing resale value of a brown X5, or any vehicle for that matter, will be worse due to the color being love/hate versus something like a white, gray, black?

2. We really love Mocha as an interior color, with second choice being the ivory/black. Any input on how Mocha would look with the sparkling brown? Too brown?
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #28
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
2. We really love Mocha as an interior color, with second choice being the ivory/black. Any input on how Mocha would look with the sparkling brown? Too brown?
I drove that color combo for two weeks as a loaner/courtesy car. The color combo works well and is not an issue. If you go with fineline (matte, textured wood), it creates a subtle monotone brown that without contrasts makes it very elegant (<-- opinion only).

However, I am just not crazy about the new sparkling brown. Too sparkly for my eyes, especially in the sun, and it has excessive hues of red which make it bolder vs. yellow and gray to make the brown lighter and flatter. If the old brown was still available I believe it would have been nicer.

Try the mineral silver as an alternative, which like the brown, will be more love or hate.

older:

sparkling: