04-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #67
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacondatp View Post
mpe sound is different than opening the flap because regular exhaust pipe is cut open inside and mpe is almost straight pipe with some perforated section to eliminate drone
Do you have a picture handy of the MPE cutout? I remembered an E90 discussion of the MPE but no one dared tear open a new MPE.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #68
anacondatp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10' E92 M3 6MT, 15' F15 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
Quote:
mpe sound is different than opening the flap because regular exhaust pipe is cut open inside and mpe is almost straight pipe with some perforated section to eliminate drone
Do you have a picture handy of the MPE cutout? I remembered an E90 discussion of the MPE but no one dared tear open a new MPE.
there is no image of mpe cutout so no one knows exactly how it is designed. the best image is someone take a picture of how the pipe looks. other members have cut open the regular exhaust and found out there is no pipe inside. thats how all the sound was muffled. so they weld straight pipe inside leaving a small perforated section. and that sounds very similar to mpe. so i am just guessing that is how mpe is designed. and that is also different than removing the muffler and just do straight pipe because of the small section of perforated pipe inside the muffler that helps eliminate drone i think
      04-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #69
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrod81 View Post
Open the exhaust valve. It'll sound better...not MPE but better
Manually or via Bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #70
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Quote:
BimmerLink 30 bucks but worth it plus the diagnostic info you get is pretty in depth
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #71
anacondatp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
BimmerLink 30 bucks but worth it plus the diagnostic info you get is pretty in depth
the downside is it does not stay open forever. the valve closes when you turn off the car. so pretty much have to open on every startup
      04-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #72
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
the downside is it does not stay open forever. the valve closes when you turn off the car. so pretty much have to open on every startup
Not with BimmerLink, it stays open. I had it that way for a month before I bought my MPE.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #73
anacondatp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not with BimmerLink, it stays open. I had it that way for a month before I bought my MPE.
i dont think so brother. i tested it and at least another guy on here confirmed the same thing. do this, open the valve. you will see smoke coming out of both exhaust pipes. drive around and turn off the car. the next day when you come out and do cold start, look to see if smoke comes out from both pipes or just the left side
      04-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #74
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i dont think so brother. i tested it and at least another guy on here confirmed the same thing. do this, open the valve. you will see smoke coming out of both exhaust pipes. drive around and turn off the car. the next day when you come out and do cold start, look to see if smoke comes out from both pipes or just the left side
You know I never took out my veepeak so maybe that's why? Idk. When I would log into the app it would ALWAYS say the flap was open but again I never took off the adapter.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #75
18BMWX5
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

I have a 2018 X-Line. My lower valance has the trapezoid shaped tips not the circular shaped tips. My question is will my valance work with the MPE? Or, are the multiple trapezoid shaped valances?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #76
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18BMWX5 View Post
I have a 2018 X-Line. My lower valance has the trapezoid shaped tips not the circular shaped tips. My question is will my valance work with the MPE? Or, are the multiple trapezoid shaped valances?
There are three different exhaust tips.

Basic/Xline/Luxury Line have the round tips for 35i
Msport line ( 35i and 50i ) have the Msport tips
50i have the upsside Msport designed tips but it is slightly thinner.

P.S. although lately I've seen 35i's with the 50i tips so this might have changed recently.

See attached photo illustration.
Attached Images

04-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #77
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Nice! Is it pretty straight forward because I'm far from a computer programmer?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #78
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There is a button on the top right, set it to open and you're done. Can't get easier than that.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #79
chanst3r
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 (F15) M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There is a button on the top right, set it to open and you're done. Can't get easier than that.
So your saying that on my stock exhaust, I can just program the valve to be always open via bimmerlink?

Any downside to having open all the time? Loss of torque?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #80
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanst3r View Post
So your saying that on my stock exhaust, I can just program the valve to be always open via bimmerlink?

Yep loss of pressure / torque..
      04-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #81
anacondatp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes you can open the valve. It will not stay open after you turn off the car. You will need to use the app and open it everytime you start the car.

Loss of pressure is what someone said. I personally have not noticed the loss of pressure. But also I have never noticed the increase in sound ever...
      04-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #82
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's NO loss of pressure. It's for sound only. If you close it it keeps the sound quieter. Again there's NO loss of pressure if that were the case the MPE would also have the valve and it does not. Do you think they would make their performance muffler perform worse than the stock one?

As for the valve staying open it worked for ME I always had my Veepak on so maybe that was it. What you could do is open the valve then while it's open just disconnect the plug going that at the valve by the exhaust tip.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #83
18BMWX5
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Quote:

P.S. although lately I've seen 35i's with the 50i tips so this might have changed recently.

Thanks for the illustration Kzang. From the factory I have the 35i X-Line with the 50i style tip. Seems like the MPE is the inverse shape. I have a Space Grey X5 and I did want to keep my valence as I like the simulated skid plate but I suppose I can order the updated version for the MPE. I appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #84
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
There's NO loss of pressure. It's for sound only. If you close it it keeps the sound quieter. Again there's NO loss of pressure if that were the case the MPE would also have the valve and it does not. Do you think they would make their performance muffler perform worse than the stock one?

As for the valve staying open it worked for ME I always had my Veepak on so maybe that was it. What you could do is open the valve then while it's open just disconnect the plug going that at the valve by the exhaust tip.
My understanding is.... Having the flap closed will increase exhaust back pressure and provide maximum torque at low revs. When the RPM increases during WOT, the engine passes the low to mid high torque range and the engine will require an extra exhaust flow to produce max power and this is the reason why the other flap opens up during higher RPM's.

For the 35i's when you start your car in the morning during cooler weather you will notice only the driver side is open... the passenger side opens up during hard acceleration or higher RPMs.

You can google this information for support.
      04-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #85
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My understanding is.... Having the flap closed will increase exhaust back pressure and provide maximum torque at low revs. When the RPM increases during WOT, the engine passes the low to mid high torque range and the engine will require an extra exhaust flow to produce max power and this is the reason why the other flap opens up during higher RPM's.

For the 35i's when you start your car in the morning during cooler weather you will notice only the driver side is open... the passenger side opens up during hard acceleration or higher RPMs.

You can google this information for support.
Watch this...

This has been discussed lots of times...
It's closed mostly for noise reduction not back pressure...if that was the reason the MPE would 100% come with the valve as well...why would BMW want their performance exhaust to perform worse than the shitty stock one? It's open on WOT to allow exhaust out faster and perform better. Plus it's a little louder nothing like the MPE but definitely more than w it closed.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #86
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the illustration Kzang. From the factory I have the 35i X-Line with the 50i style tip. Seems like the MPE is the inverse shape. I have a Space Grey X5 and I did want to keep my valence as I like the simulated skid plate but I suppose I can order the updated version for the MPE. I appreciate the feedback.
I have bought the MPE and mine came with these tips. You have the option of which tips to get for your specific X5
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #87
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:

This has been discussed lots of times...
It's closed mostly for noise reduction not back pressure...if that was the reason the MPE would 100% come with the valve as well...why would BMW want their performance exhaust to perform worse than the shitty stock one? It's open on WOT to allow exhaust out faster and perform better. Plus it's a little louder nothing like the MPE but definitely more than w it closed.
True dis. But funnily enough my wife complains that our 35i (stock) sounds louder on start up when cold than with the valve open - at least throatier. I like it!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #88
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
It's a turbo engine; thus, no back pressure achieved thru the closed flap but the exhaust travel is longer and therefore it is quieter when flap closed. Shorter distance for exhaust gas to exit the system when open and less silencing achieved.
Appreciate 1
mrod81207.50