01-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #1
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 X5 (N55)

Slight jerk after Transmission fluid pan changed

Good Morning from NYC,

I changed my transmission oil with the filter pan on Saturday not a full flush. I’m noticing a slight jerk not too harsh. Usually it’s noticeable when the X5 down shifts. My transmission was not doing this before. Is this normal after a transmission fluid change or something went wrong? The shifting are not as smooth as before. A person that gets in my car for the first time will not notice it but I do.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
Rydogg21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerson View Post
Good Morning from NYC,

I changed my transmission oil with the filter pan on Saturday not a full flush. I’m noticing a slight jerk not too harsh. Usually it’s noticeable when the X5 down shifts. My transmission was not doing this before. Is this normal after a transmission fluid change or something went wrong? The shifting are not as smooth as before. A person that gets in my car for the first time will not notice it but I do.
I did this about a month ago and did not have the same response after. When adding the fluid back in to the pan, did you fill until it flowed out then start the car, run through the gears as explained in a few posts on here and then refill the pan again? It should take 4-5 liters from what I recall.

After I was done with the process, shifts were less pronounced and my MPGs improved a few. It certainly wasn't more jerky or harder shifts. I am worried that some of your gears are not getting properly lubricated and you may damage your transmission which should be bulletproof.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

You filled and topped off the fluid with the engine running right?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
You filled and topped off the fluid with the engine running right?
I turned on the car after screwing the pan then while the car was lifted I started pumping fluid into the transmission until it filled and it started pouring out. Once I noticed that I screwed it and tighten the screw. I forgot to shift through all the gears but I remembered as I drove it a block and I stopped the car and did it all the way up but it wasn't letting me shift down one by one it would jump from the highest number straight to one but it would let me shift up one by one going up.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #5
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydogg21 View Post
Quote:
Good Morning from NYC,

I did this about a month ago and did not have the same response after. When adding the fluid back in to the pan, did you fill until it flowed out then start the car, run through the gears as explained in a few posts on here and then refill the pan again? It should take 4-5 liters from what I recall.

After I was done with the process, shifts were less pronounced and my MPGs improved a few. It certainly wasn't more jerky or harder shifts. I am worried that some of your gears are not getting properly lubricated and you may damage your transmission which should be bulletproof.
No I didn't fill it till it spilled, seal the screw, shift through all the gears and fill again. I filled it once until it spilled
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
No I didn't fill it till it spilled, seal the screw, shift through all the gears and fill again. I filled it once until it spilled
This is the process to ensure proper fill. Also, one thing that helped me is to be diligent about the angle of the car/pan - ensure it's at level-ride angles (essentially level at the tranny/pan connection).

1) Start engine
2) Put foot on brake (and keep it there)
3) Shift transmission into "R" and "D" continuously
4) Shift transmission in manual mode from 1st to 3rd and hold gear for 3 seconds
5) Shift transmission in manual mode from 1st to 4th and hold gear for 10 seconds
6) Select all gears in manual mode from 1st to 8th and hold each gear for 10 seconds (flip selector in + direction until just before the gear you want to hold, then hold shifter in + direction for 10 seconds so it holds that gear)
7) Keep engine speed at 2000 RPM's for ~30 seconds to ensure torque converter fills with fluid
8) Check temperature and verify that fluid temp is between 30°C and 40°C. (need ISTA+). If you don't have ISTA+ and start with everything completely cold, I can tell you that you'll be up to 30-40C within just 2-3 miles of easy driving, and 5-6 miles will get you to 50C+ and you'll have to wait 1+ hours for it to cool to <40.

Last edited by JamesInSJ; 01-13-2020 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInSJ View Post
Quote:
This is the process to ensure proper fill. Also, one thing that helped me is to be diligent about the angle of the car/pan - ensure it's at level-ride angles (essentially level at the tranny/pan connection).

1) Start engine
2) Put foot on brake (and keep it there)
3) Shift transmission into "R" and "D" continuously
4) Shift transmission in manual mode from 1st to 3rd and hold gear for 3 seconds
5) Shift transmission in manual mode from 1st to 4th and hold gear for 10 seconds
6) Select all gears in manual mode from 1st to 8th and hold each gear for 10 seconds (flip selector in + direction until just before the gear you want to hold, then hold shifter in + direction for 10 seconds so it holds that gear)
7) Keep engine speed at 2000 RPM's for ~30 seconds to ensure torque converter fills with fluid
8) Check temperature and verify that fluid temp is between 30°C and 40°C. (need ISTA+). If you don't have ISTA+ and start with everything completely cold, I can tell you that you'll be up to 30-40C within just 2-3 miles of easy driving, and 5-6 miles will get you to 50C+ and you'll have to wait 1+ hours for it to cool to <40.
Is number 8 to see if I need more fluid? Or to put it again the fluid after the first fill up?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
turboawd
Banned
Rep

So you started the x5 with no fluid in the pan? And then added the fluid?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #9
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
So you started the x5 with no fluid in the pan? And then added the fluid?
Yeah...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #10
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yeah...
How long did it run before you added fluid? You basically ran your pump dry. The trans has a hydraulic pump that sends fluid throughout the transmission.
You're suppose to prefill the pan before starting. Then add more and top off.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah...
How long did it run before you added fluid? You basically ran your pump dry. The trans has a hydraulic pump that sends fluid throughout the transmission.
I'll say a couple of minutes, 3..4. Should I redo the transmission oil change again? And put new oil?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #12
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'll say a couple of minutes, 3..4. Should I redo the transmission oil change again? And put new oil?
Changing the fluid and filter again now is pointless. It won't undo whatever wear occurred to the pump. It could be nothing, or it could be some. But if your pump was really worn, you'd have soft shifts and burnt clutches asap. Hard shifts is not necessarily bad for a trans.
I'd say just drive it and see how it goes. Or go trade it in!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #13
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Changing the fluid and filter again now is pointless. It won't undo whatever wear occurred to the pump. It could be nothing, or it could be some. But if your pump was really worn, you'd have soft shifts and burnt clutches asap. Hard shifts is not necessarily bad for a trans.
I'd say just drive it and see how it goes. Or go trade it in!
I just got home from work, the drive was normal. I put it in sport and it was shifting and downshifting also normal. I'll keep an eye out for the rest of January. If worst comes to worst, I'll just trade it for a f85! Loving the price drop after the G05 came out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:52 PM   #14
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

So, used x5 buyers, would you prefer a vehicle with untouched tranny, or the one 'serviced' like the above?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:54 PM   #15
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
So, used x5 buyers, would you prefer a vehicle with untouched tranny, or the one 'serviced' like the above?
Lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #16
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
I'll take services by a pro vs. a DIY'er any day .
Their insured at least when shit goes bad.

Used to work on my cars all the time. Now being a new dad I just pay people lot's of money to putz with it. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #17
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:

Used to work on my cars all the time. Now being a new dad I just pay people lot's of money to putz with it. Lol.
Lol I went the opposite route. Used to take my vehicles in, now I'm trying to learn myself to save money because I'm also a new dad( well almost 4 months now lol).
Going to be replacing my air springs Wednesday or Thursday.
Appreciate 1
MK2018230.50
      01-13-2020, 10:31 PM   #18
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Lol I went the opposite route. Used to take my vehicles in, now I'm trying to learn myself to save money because I'm also a new dad( well almost 4 months now lol).
There is nothing wrong with that, little bit of entertainment and savings

I use to do lots of stuff myself but lately everything is included in warranty and also lock of time
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      01-14-2020, 10:36 AM   #19
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2018 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I use to do lots of stuff myself but lately everything is included in warranty and also lock of time
That's where I'm at right now.

With my job and dad duties my car time has been relocated.

Now the toys sit in the garage and I look at them from time to time while sipping my Coca Cola for energy.

I bought an 7 year 100mile warranty that mirrors the OEM warranty bumper to bumper. So I'll take advantage of that for now.

So if anything fails I'll just take it in and get the loaner.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love wrenching and doing my work on my rides but at least for the two daily drivers they go to the shops for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:52 AM   #20
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2018 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's where I'm at right now.

With my job and dad duties my car time has been relocated.

Now the toys sit in the garage and I look at them from time to time while sipping my Coca Cola for energy.

I bought an 7 year 100mile warranty that mirrors the OEM warranty bumper to bumper. So I'll take advantage of that for now.

So if anything fails I'll just take it in and get the loaner.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love wrenching and doing my work on my rides but at least for the two daily drivers they go to the shops for now.
Idk there is just something about working on your car and figuring things out. Yeah you are going to fuck up here and there but I'll take it as a learning experience. I just like being a mechanic for that short period of time while I'm under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #21
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Out of curiosity, did you follow any diy thread or info? You're not the first on here to improperly fill the trans.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:32 PM   #22
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Out of curiosity, did you follow any diy thread or info? You're not the first on here to improperly fill the trans.
Yeah I did but when I was doing it for some reason I couldn't find the thread and during the process I forgot a couple steps along the way... it wasn't until yesterday morning that I found a video on YouTube.
Appreciate 0