kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
35d emission issues overblown or is it real

Perhaps it is the amount of reading and horror stories I am reading about.
Is it as real as it sounds?

Now the intended use of the car will include a good amount of city driving (easily 70% of it) with the occassional 70-100km run once or twice a month. It should see about 20k km a year.

It will be parked inside in an insulated garage.
The vehicle in question is a 15, with around 50k miles on it.
I do maintain my vehicles, regular oil changes and will run the good gas on it as I would my existing vehicles.

Has anyone in this forum or otherwise ever encountered an issue with their DPF or any emission equipment from this kinda use?

Appreciate it
I am being cautious because the car is going to be primarily driven by the wife and I don't want her to ever have to deal with any issues.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M 40d

I have had my 2014 40d since it was 18 months old, it now has 70k miles. Serviced on schedule but no additional oil changes etc. I'm about 50-50 city driving and 35 mile drives at 50-70 mph. The very occasional long run (300 miles).

I may be lucky, but I have zero issues at all. No squeaks, no rattles, and no DPF or other emission issues. The EGR cooler was replaced as part of the recent recall, but I believe that was precautionary - I certainly didn't have any symptoms.

My advice, if you ask an audience for their experiences of issues, then that's what you'll receive, but there are many diesel owners who enjoy trouble-free ownership. If you've found a car with the deal you like, and it seems sound and checks out, then go for it and enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:53 AM   #3
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I had a 30D for nearly two years and replaced it with an almost new 40D and never had any issues. My journey is approx. 7 miles each way 5 days a week and normal weekend driving. I know a few people with diesel BMWs and none of them have had DPF or any other issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #4
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Diesel "emission issues" usually arise closer @ 100k miles and later; with mileage before that is
a) still honeymoon
b) isn't big enough to be noticeable

So feedback like "I drove for 2 years and everything is fine" isn't much relevant, hardly any new car nowadays has drive-train (or any) problems in first few years.

Having said that, if you pull intake @ 50k you'll likely discover a pretty significant carbon buildup on swirl flaps, intake valves will be far from clean, and EGR won't be in the best shape. They just aren't clogged/dirty enough to cause issues.

DPF is pretty much guaranteed till 150k, beyond that depends on previous driving patterns, cooling system health, etc.

Frankly speaking, diesel was a no-question preference back in BMWs naturally aspirated gas engines days; now with turbo everything, I'd seriously consider 6 cyl gazzer or even a plug-in, unless I had to tow or high-mileage daily. And that's coming from a long time 3.5d owner.

Last edited by smyles; 01-17-2020 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 0