BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #1
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Warranty Advice

This isn't another extended warranty thread.

Prior to the expiration of my original warranty, I took the car in because the steering column was making a noise, albeit intermittently. Shocker of the century, the dealer couldn't replicate the issue. I was able to record the noise but my warranty expired 12/29/2019.

I am taking it in again soon. Any thoughts or advice as to how to increase my chances this will get repaired under warranty? Based on the number of folks needing their steering column replaced, I think we are headed in that direction. Anyone know how much I should expect to pay if it isn't covered?

Thanks in advice, any and all help appreciated!

EDIT: Should have posted this in F15 section, not sure how to move it though.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Just thought I would update one of the most widely viewed and commented threads in recent memory.

Luckily for me, BMW is going to cover the replacement of the steering column. $2K. Thanks BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Solid move. I always found they're reasonable, if you're reasonable.

Also, calling BMW USA is helpful. If it's a common problem that's been determined to be an issue on an entire line, they'll assist with repair or get the dealer to offer cousin pricing on the job.

What was your column doing? I bought my rig with 27K miles and it already had the column replaced so I never really understood what the issue was..
      01-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post

Also, calling BMW USA is helpful. If it's a common problem that's been determined to be an issue on an entire line, they'll assist with repair or get the dealer to offer cousin pricing on the job.

What was your column doing? I bought my rig with 27K miles and it already had the column replaced so I never really understood what the issue was..
I've had mine replaced twice already. It most likely will fail again unless I do the fix. So in the mean time, I just coded the auto adjustment off to buy more time.
Hey V, have you noticed the old E70 had more steering column adjustment range than the F85 does? Here's a link: Fixed the noise on the steering column.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

It just starts making a noise during adjustment. The noise happened on mine when retracting in.

I plan to code easy access off too. But I am still curious about the warranty on the replacement. I will ask when I go in unless someone wants to chime in if they have that knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:35 AM   #6
TheVazha
Major
Rep

So like when you get in the car and the steering wheel automatically adjusts?
      01-18-2020, 12:40 AM   #7
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:

I've had mine replaced twice already. It most likely will fail again unless I do the fix. So in the mean time, I just coded the auto adjustment off to buy more time.
Hey V, have you noticed the old E70 had more steering column adjustment range than the F85 does? Here's a link: Fixed the noise on the steering column.
The E70 was a pure BMW, last of its kind. The F85 is perfection, but you can change the ambient lighting.

Ok so imagine if you had an F85 package (performance, trans, suspension) in a more simplified platform. That would be an exquisite car.
      01-18-2020, 06:45 AM   #8
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:

The E70 was a pure BMW, last of its kind. The F85 is perfection, but you can change the ambient lighting.

Ok so imagine if you had an F85 package (performance, trans, suspension) in a more simplified platform. That would be an exquisite car.
Agreed 100%
Appreciate 0