BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #23
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerson View Post
Is number 8 to see if I need more fluid? Or to put it again the fluid after the first fill up?
After pan replacement, you're supposed to fill it up (3-4 liters). Start up engine and do 1-8. At Step 8, top it off (should get another 1+ liter in there). The fluid should be cycled through the tranny and filled torque converter, which is why you have room for an extra liter in the pan. This final fill is done with the engine running, tranny in Park.

ZF recommended adding an additional step in my case since my fill was so low (was only getting ~3.5L into mine)...essentially a Step 9, which is to take a quick drive, let the fluid drop to 30-40C, and do one more fill check. If you're getting ~4.5L or more total in the first fill + final fill, not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #24
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2018 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
So, used x5 buyers, would you prefer a vehicle with untouched tranny, or the one 'serviced' like the above?
I'll take services by a pro vs. a DIY'er any day .
Their insured at least when shit goes bad.

Used to work on my cars all the time. Now being a new dad I just pay people lot's of money to putz with it. Lol.
Lol I went the opposite route. Used to take my vehicles in, now I'm trying to learn myself to save money because I'm also a new dad( well almost 4 months now lol).
Going to be replacing my air springs Wednesday or Thursday.
There is nothing wrong with that, little bit of entertainment and savings

I use to do lots of stuff myself but lately everything is included in warranty and also lock of time
That's where I'm at right now.

With my job and dad duties my car time has been relocated.

Now the toys sit in the garage and I look at them from time to time while sipping my Coca Cola for energy.

I bought an 7 year 100mile warranty that mirrors the OEM warranty bumper to bumper. So I'll take advantage of that for now.

So if anything fails I'll just take it in and get the loaner.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love wrenching and doing my work on my rides but at least for the two daily drivers they go to the shops for now.
Idk there is just something about working on your car and figuring things out. Yeah you are going to fuck up here and there but I'll take it as a learning experience. I just like being a mechanic for that short period of time while I'm under the hood.
I feel ya and agree. I've been wrenching on my cars since 15, bought a 71 Dodge Charger as my first car back in the 90's and learned from their.

Car had a problem almost every day lol but made me good at it. I worked only to service my car lol Also took auto-shop in high school and it was therapeutic and loved the problem solving nature of it.

Plus it's nice to pay yourself vs an over priced shop and go out on a night on the town instead.

Shoot,

If you look at my history on the forum here ranging from e30's to the mini coopers and z4's and 135is I was a modding and custom fabrication goon!

But man it took a lot of time and now my wife expects dad to be playing with the kids instead of the cars so she tells me theirs people who can fix it and I'm needed indoors with the family.

Hey not going to argue or get into a fight I can't win. If you know what I mean

I'm sure the reigns will slacken when they get a little older. But on the plus side it's not like these cars are down every day either .
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #25
DenBel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, F13 650i

And don't forget to reset adaptation values after the proper fluid change: you transmission will behave new!
Appreciate 0