BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

HK audio system upgrade

I am finalizing equipment for an upgrade on my HK audio system. I have built a number of home DIY speakers and subs so thought I would build the subwoofer enclosure myself but have professionals do the installation and tuning.

For the sub driver I am using a Scan-Speak 28W/4878T Revelator 11" Subwoofer, the preferred manufacturer I used for my home speakers. I hope it works well in the storage area where a spare could be stored. I needed some creativity to fit the enclosure while having at least 1.3 cubic feet sealed.

It will be an OEM look install using factory speaker locations. I plan on going active, replacing the front R/L, center, under-seat and a pair of the rear speakers while adding amplifiers and the new Helix Ultra DSP. Likely a combination of Dynaudio, Morel and Jehnert speakers.Finding room for all the electronics will be a challenge.

I will wait for the warranty to expire in late February and should have the system completed before March. My car is at the dealer for my last “free” service now.

Edit: Installation is now starting on January 20th and will take most if not the entire week.

Here are some images of my enclosure. I painted it but will likely have it carpeted to match the storage carpet.
Attached Images

Last edited by GeorgeR; 01-15-2020 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
Russmov1328.00
1230vani651.00
      12-29-2019, 11:31 PM   #2
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
I am finalizing equipment for an upgrade on my HK audio system. I have built a number of home DIY speakers and subs so thought I would build the subwoofer enclosure myself but have professionals do the installation and tuning.

For the sub driver I am using a Scan-Speak 28W/4878T Revelator 11" Subwoofer, the preferred manufacturer I used for my home speakers. I hope it works well in the storage area where a spare could be stored. I needed some creativity to fit the enclosure while having at least 1.3 cubic feet sealed.

It will be an OEM look install using factory speaker locations. I plan on going active, replacing the front R/L, center, under-seat and a pair of the rear speakers while adding amplifiers and the new Helix Ultra DSP. Likely a combination of Dynaudio, Morel and Jehnert speakers.Finding room for all the electronics will be a challenge.

I will wait for the warranty to expire in late February and should have the system completed before March. My car is at the dealer for my last “free” service now.

Here are some images of my enclosure. I painted it but will likely have it carpeted to match the storage carpet.
Quote:

I will wait for the warranty to expire in late February and should have the system completed before March. My car is at the dealer for my last "free" service now.

Looks really good
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I dropped my X6 off at the installers this morning and plan to pick it up late Friday. They will be sending pictures of the progress. Building the enclosure was the extent of my work, I'll let the real pros take it from here.

I listened to a Mercedes with much of the same front stage I am using but I am adding a center channel to match the front R/L and the capabilities of the new Helix DSP Ultra and will have both a drivers seat tune and a two seat tune. This should be fun.

Trying a different under-seat woofer I am especially excited about. Stay tuned, pun intended.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Any chance you'd be willing to share the dimensions/measurements of the box?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Any chance you'd be willing to share the dimensions/measurements of the box?
The enclosure is at the installers so I can't take accurate measurements but I'll post the template I started with. My goal was to get a sealed enclosure of around 1.3 cubic feet and leave about 1" of air space underneath the driver magnet. That is an optimistic goal for that space, especially if you need additional room for amplifiers, a DSP, etc.

The plan shows 1.45 cu ft but after adding a notch to fit over the middle bump in the storage area and slanting the enclosure in order to fit under the top of the forward storage metal frame and clear the lift arm, I would guess I ended up at close to 1.3 cu ft but I didn't attempt the math to confirm.

I also added 3/4 inch to the height by making the top an MDF/Baltic Birch Sandwich but internal dimensions should be the same. With that extra 3/4 inc you can see I needed to use a 1 inch round-over bit to clear some of the corners and allow the top to close flush. It is a very tight fit and I need to remove the battery cover to slide it in.

I needed to tweek these dimensions down a few fractions of an inch in places but I think it is pretty close.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Carpeted to match storage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
ems328i180.00
hufington3119.50
cvillanFL101.50
      01-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #7
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:

Edit: Installation is now starting on January 20th and will take most if not the entire week.

This makes me wish I bought runflats...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #8
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The liner in the storage compartment had to be removed in order to fit all the components but installation is complete and everything sounds incredible.

2016 X6 F16 BMW Head Unit (NBT, S688A Harman/Kardon) -> Helix SDMI25 -> Helix DSP Ultra

Amplifiers – MMats HiFi-6150D & HiFi-4250D, Arc Audio KS125.4 Mini.

Front Stage (FL/C/FR) 3 ea. Dynaudio Esotar 430, 3 ea. Dynaudio Esotec MD 102, 2 ea. Illusion Audio Carbon C8W

Rear Stage - Morel Hybrid 402 component set, Rear pillars, stock OEM

Subwoofer - 11” ScanSpeak Revelator 28W/4878T00 in 1.3 Cubic foot sealed.
Attached Images

Last edited by GeorgeR; 04-23-2020 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
cvillanFL101.50
      02-01-2020, 01:21 AM   #9
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Under-seat woofers. My replacement is on the left, OEM is on the right. If you add a subwoofer and power the OEM's with an aftermarket amp, they aren't that bad. These are a bit better. Musicar NW does know how to customize adapters.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #10
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is an example of how meticulous Musicar NW is in crafting gorgeous custom mounting rings that look better than OEM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:59 PM   #11
mattmiller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 50i

That looks incredible. Very nice build and finish. I'm curious about heat build-up in that cavity - have you had any issues with that? I'm not sure whether there is any ventilation in there when the cargo lid is closed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #12
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmiller View Post
That looks incredible. Very nice build and finish. I'm curious about heat build-up in that cavity - have you had any issues with that? I'm not sure whether there is any ventilation in there when the cargo lid is closed.
There is no issue with heat, the amps are a very efficient and designed for installation locations much tighter than mine. Musicar NW did a very tidy installation.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 4