Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
hyde

I have the same exact issue at the very beginning, way before I used RainX as my washer fluid.

It has somehow gone away this winter but last winter I kept receiving the Low Warning even when my reservoir is full.

I suspect the OEM fluid may have been freezing or causing issues internally. Been using Rain X for over a year now without any issues.

Hope that helps
This is exact opposite of what we've been hearing. I am not sure if Rain-X suddenly caused the OEM fluid to lose it's antifreeze point and cause freezing or if there is any other reason. It's not a major problem but it's extremely annoying and of course it's a hazard if the rear glass is very dirty and I need it sprayed.
Yes, surprisingly the issue has gone away and RainX is not the issue on my X5 at least

I use RainX All Season -45c (yellow fluid)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #46
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
Yes, surprisingly the issue has gone away and RainX is not the issue on my X5 at least

I use RainX All Season -45c (yellow fluid)

Could it be the Rain-X 2in1 that's causing the issues?

http://www.rainx.com/product/windshi...-washer-fluid/
      02-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #47
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Could it be the Rain-X 2in1 that's causing the issues?

http://www.rainx.com/product/windshi...-washer-fluid/
I also the one believing the BMW genuine liquid could be the culprit.

In the past few weeks, I confirmed with a few more friends and BMW CAs using RainX without issues so far.

IMO, it seems the blue stuff has much simpler and general formula, and it often causes less issues when mixing the different brands of the blue stuff. But, this BMW genuine one is so much like the nail polish remover, or it uses the similar "ingredient". (Wish BMW uses the volatile organic compound solvent, instead of carcinogenic.)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #48
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I meant to drain the BMW fluid and use RainX only. Don't mix them.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #49
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hyde, did you visit the SVC for this yet? The owner below got it fixed due to the sync issue. Do you have this issue all the time? Or it's only happening when the two fluid is mixed?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=828125
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #50
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

on board computer out of synch w/ the initial fluid level.

Probable cause.......from a new owner:
"First minor glitch:
- I received low windshield wiper fluid alerts every day until we brought the car in for inspection. The fluid level was full. It seems the on board computer was out of synch w/ the initial fluid level. It's good now."
Source:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=828125
from bimmerpost.
      02-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #51
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
Hyde, did you visit the SVC for this yet? The owner below got it fixed due to the sync issue. Do you have this issue all the time? Or it's only happening when the two fluid is mixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
"First minor glitch:
- I received low windshield wiper fluid alerts every day until we brought the car in for inspection. The fluid level was full. It seems the on board computer was out of synch w/ the initial fluid level. It's good now."
from bimmerpost.

This is strange, wonder how they made in back in sync again.. I will post there as well to see if this is the problem and not the sensor.
I believe it's a sensor issue in our case since it comes and goes.
      02-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #52
nyquistcondition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
"First minor glitch:
from bimmerpost.

This is strange, wonder how they made in back in sync again.. I will post there as well to see if this is the problem and not the sensor.
I believe it's a sensor issue in our case since it comes and goes.
Mine comes and goes but is entirely temp dependent. Only appears below 20F.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:53 AM   #53
miniminn
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Had the same sensor and rear one not working with the rainx Orange stuff like most people here.
I replaced it right after the bmw one was empty because it was just awful the smell. So disgustingly nasty that I couldn't even use it. And I love the rainx one. So, anyway, she brought it in and they said that it was due to the rainx stuff. They charged her $90 and said its out of warranty because you used a non bmw fluid, so it doesn't cover it. I should've gone myself. That was to diagnose, flush and add the "toxic crap".

Does anyone know where it says "must use bmw windshield fluid"?
Anyway very annoyed!
I won't use that nasty stuff, I have to find another alternative. Maybe other color rainx or similar. It appears it's the Orange one.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #54
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

Quote:
I am not getting any washer fluid from the rear, not to mention I get Low Washer Fluid error on dash. I drained the previous washer fluid that was in there, and filled it up with a gallon of new stuff, but while it is spraying and cleaning fine on windshield, I am getting nothing on rear window.

Thread title edited, the reason it's not spraying in the back is because of Low Washer warning, despite having near full tank of fluid.

i had the same issue,

i would fill up the reservoir and get a low washer fluid warning immiedietly. i also had a problem with the rear nozzle not getting fluid when plenty of fluid was available.

alot of products out there, although superior to BMW fluids, will gum up sensors, and such.

brought it in, gave them my "guess" above, and they said i was pretty much right, they replaced the reservoir no questions asked no charge.

If anyones Washer Fluid Warning System has this error, they should be replacing the reservoir as they did for me
      08-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #55
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

since then i have strictly used filtered water from my house and a few shots of either rubbing alcohol, or a 100 proof cheap vodka
      12-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #56
Amir1923
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I got the same problem since yesterday, system disables rear wiper ,to save liquid for front "safety feature " ,I went to Dealer they told me I can't use RainX liquid because it damages the sensor and sensor might corrode, I need to use BMW stuff. Never had problem with my other cars and non of my other friends has any problem with their bummers or mercs .

The warning message is annoying,
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #57
~ViO~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2015 X6 50i

Quote:
I am not getting any washer fluid from the rear, not to mention I get Low Washer Fluid error on dash. I drained the previous washer fluid that was in there, and filled it up with a gallon of new stuff, but while it is spraying and cleaning fine on windshield, I am getting nothing on rear window.

Thread title edited, the reason it's not spraying in the back is because of Low Washer warning, despite having near full tank of fluid.

*I had the exact same issue and a BMW service tech suggested I try the following;

(1) Spray out all of the old washer fluid (over and over) until the washer fluid reservoir is completely empty.

(2) Now fill up the washer fluid reservoir with "Prestone Bug Wash" (use only the Prestone brand).

(3) Now drive your vehicle for about ten minutes or until the washer fluid warning goes out. That's it.

(4) You can continue using the Prestone Bug Wash or switch back to the BMW authorized washer fluid.

The Prestone Bug Wash will clean off the residue film that is left on the sensors by using unauthorized washer fluids.. In my case it was within five minutes of driving and my washer fluid sensors were completley cleaned and the warning went away.. Again, make sure to only use the Prestone brand of Bug Wash.

Last edited by ~ViO~; 02-03-2020 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:40 PM   #58
rayxi330
Registered
Rep
Drives: F15, E46

Interesting Class Action against Rain-X claiming damage to sensors. It was dismissed with predjudice in May 2017

https://www.classaction.org/rain-x-lawsuit
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #59
theone_06
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW x5m 2015

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
So I got that message as well... using rainX yellow. Tank is full rear not working warning for low fluid still stays on. What should I do?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #60
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone_06 View Post
So I got that message as well... using rainX yellow. Tank is full rear not working warning for low fluid still stays on. What should I do?
Vio use prestone to fix the problem

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=prestone
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #61
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Sorry for the long post, but my hypothesis is that old battery was causing the low washer fluid warning after filling it to the top. Here are the details:

So a couple weeks ago I got the dash warning for low washer fluid, when I got home I already had 1 gallon of BMW washer fluid mixed to ~12.5% VOC sitting around. I've only used BMW washer fluid in this vehicle. I ended up pouring the entire gallon in. The next day I drove the car and it still kept giving me the warning even after 40 mile roundtrip of driving. When I got home I checked around the garage, but didn't see any leaks. I went ahead and mixed some more washer fluid and added about 2 quarts until it was at the top of the filler. Drove some more and kept getting the low fluid warning. I proceeded to run an ISTA+ diagnostic. Only code I got was for bad battery, which had been a recurring code I was already aware of. Car is 2014 and appears to be original, but I usually put it on CTEK charger at least once a month and never had any issues or other codes so I kept putting it off. I decided to charge the car overnight. Next day did not get any warnings, day after I only got warning when starting the car first thing in the morning, all subsequent trips the rest of the day did not have any warnings. This proceeded for several days. I finally charged it again overnight and the next morning I tested the battery and when fully charged only measured 490 CCA. I only have 1 battery in my X5 and its the 105ah 950 CCA. I went ahead and picked up a new battery for $180 at local dealer, installed it and registered the battery change using ISTA+. Since the battery change, have not had the warning come back. So for others having this issue, maybe check the health of your car battery.
Appreciate 0