BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #45
LoachPilot
Rep
Drives: G12 7er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdAge View Post
Still don't know when exactly it will be revealed, but looks like some dealers have already given the opportunity to test drive. My dealer told me it will be out early 2018.
Highly, highly unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #46
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
Lol, I did the same thing except I couldn't convince myself to do 2 white ones.
i'am in love with mineral white .
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #47
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
In regards to your X5, do you have any regrets? I have been fighting going with a 4runner LTD over an X5 due to the depreciation being much better and maintenance being cheaper. With that said, I know I will get more enjoyment from the X5. I am looking at a 2014 X5 M Sport (01/2014) build with 41k miles in a couple of hours. Price seems good at $35,700 which is about what a 4runner LTD would cost.
I have owned two 4Runners, both purchased new. 4Runners are exceptionally reliable, low maintenance, with very little depreciation during ownership. I loved my 4th Gen 4Runner (loaded SR5 4WD) and over the course of seven years of ownership I only lost a thousand dollars annually ($7000 total). I despised my second 4unner, a 5th Gen AWD Limited. It was simply too big and extremely boring to drive when compared to the 4th Gen I owned. I regretted purchasing it and after 2.5 years of ownership I sold it to a Toyota dealership and took a $5k hit. Not to bad after 21,000 miles... BTW, the dealer I sold the 5th Gen to listed it for $2k more than I purchased it for new in 2014. It sold in a matter of days. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Ya i was looking at the highlander and the 4Runner and we liked the highlander best but i was just so put off by the engine and the halogen headlights. To me it was principal at that point. Cmon Toyota, its 2017 and you have LEDs in your corolla but only halogen in your SUVs? Makes no sense.
I totally agree! The headlights on the 5th Gen facelifted 4Runner (2014-current) are horrible. Even with them being projector halogens they are exceptionally dim. I installed Philips LED's in my fog lights and that dramatically helped, but without them on you could barely see a thing.

Quote:
I was surprised as well. I figured it would be standard but found out otherwise.
The backup camera was optional until Model Year 2018 when the U.S. DOT mandated that it must be factory installed on all new vehicles (2018-on).

Last edited by SCA; 08-19-2017 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #48
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

This is my third BMW and my second 50i. When maintenance was "free" you kind of looked the other way when you took it in for maintenance. Now that you pay for it, and the depreciation is horrible on these vehicles, I'll probably go with something else. Don't know what yet though.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #49
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive35d M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoachPilot View Post
Highly, highly unlikely.
I think so too, but hopefully it would be out sometime in 2018. This is one area where BMW needs to catchup.
      08-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #50
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Would you buy your X5 again?
Totes!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #51
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
This is my third BMW and my second 50i. When maintenance was "free" you kind of looked the other way when you took it in for maintenance. Now that you pay for it, and the depreciation is horrible on these vehicles, I'll probably go with something else. Don't know what yet though.
Overall maintenance costs for the X5 will be lower than other alternatives. Audi offers no "free" warranty/maintenance. Range Rover's service is expensive from the beginning. I thought I'd go another direction as well , but looks like BMW still offers the best and least expensive maintenance cost when buying new.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003741.00
      08-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #52
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I'm on my second F15 35d - so yes, I'd buy another. Perfect for my needs and one of the most satisfying vehicles I've ever owned. Power, efficiency, comfort. The only downside is I need another vehicle for the race track.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #53
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Buying my leased 35d now. Adding Racechip, new Bavaudio, maybe new springs and trying to get the seat cover off so I can add some cushioning/padding in the rump. Otherwise I think yes once I see the new model. Still mad that the options list bumps you into items you don't need/want etc... I guess we will find out in 2018 for me :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #54
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano0oj View Post
Overall maintenance costs for the X5 will be lower than other alternatives. Audi offers no "free" warranty/maintenance. Range Rover's service is expensive from the beginning. I thought I'd go another direction as well , but looks like BMW still offers the best and least expensive maintenance cost when buying new.
When I said I was looking at something else, I meant another brand. Living in a rural area with the closest dealer being 2 hours away, reliability is the key for me. Even though I haven't had issues with this vehicle yet, somehow, I don't think that the 50i is the most reliable vehicle out there. That's just from experience I had with my other 50i and another BMW car.
I'm really mixed on this because I only have 39,000 miles on it and the warranty expires April 2018.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #55
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano0oj View Post
Exactly my thoughts! There is nothing better on the market if we are talking similar class (performance, comfort, luxury and style). Of course one can always go for Hyundai or Toyota lol, and have reliability happiness, but in that case I would argue something went horribly wrong in owners life (be it finances, taste for good cars or else)
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003741.00
      08-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #56
CORTDD
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

If you mean, "would you lease again" then my answer is yes. I just ordered a 2017 X5 xDrive35i that is virtually identical in specification to my 2015 xDrive35i. My 2015 X5 was perfect in terms of reliability, but it will be returned to the dealership at lease end soon. The 2017 X5 on order will be my 9th BMW. I am used to BMW's driver interface, so it makes sense to stay with BMW. Plus the staff in my local BMW service department are friends.

The X5 has the right ratio of sport and luxury when equipped with the dynamic handling package and multi-contour seats. I know the next X5 will be even better than the F15. Having said all this, I don't know if I would technically "own" any new BMW or for that matter Mercedes or Audi. There is so much technology packed into these automobiles that the risk of owning them out of warranty period seems too great. If I was buying a vehicle with the intent of keeping it for a while, I would look seriously at offerings from Toyota and Honda. Because I am leasing and getting a new vehicle every few years, this is not a concern.

Last edited by CORTDD; 08-20-2017 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003741.00
Chadmatic660.50
      08-21-2017, 01:46 AM   #57
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORTDD View Post
If you mean, "would you lease again" then my answer is yes. I just ordered a 2017 X5 xDrive35i that is virtually identical in specification to my 2015 xDrive35i. My 2015 X5 was perfect in terms of reliability, but it will be returned to the dealership at lease end soon. The 2017 X5 on order will be my 9th BMW. I am used to BMW's driver interface, so it makes sense to stay with BMW. Plus the staff in my local BMW service department are friends.

The X5 has the right ratio of sport and luxury when equipped with the dynamic handling package and multi-contour seats. I know the next X5 will be even better than the F15. Having said all this, I don't know if I would technically "own" any new BMW or for that matter Mercedes or Audi. There is so much technology packed into these automobiles that the risk of owning them out of warranty period seems too great. If I was buying a vehicle with the intent of keeping it for a while, I would look seriously at offerings from Toyota and Honda. Because I am leasing and getting a new vehicle every few years, this is not a concern.
Yes, I agree. However, there's nothing to look at.... it's a dead end man....a sad tribute to econobox cars where everything is sacrificed for reliability and lower maintenance cost

Here's a toast to the BMW - may we never ever have to drive a Toyota or Hyundai
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #58
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I have owned two 4Runners, both purchased new. 4Runners are exceptionally reliable, low maintenance, with very little depreciation during ownership. I loved my 4th Gen 4Runner (loaded SR5 4WD) and over the course of seven years of ownership I only lost a thousand dollars annually ($7000 total). I despised my second 4unner, a 5th Gen AWD Limited. It was simply too big and extremely boring to drive when compared to the 4th Gen I owned. I regretted purchasing it and after 2.5 years of ownership I sold it to a Toyota dealership and took a $5k hit. Not to bad after 21,000 miles... BTW, the dealer I sold the 5th Gen to listed it for $2k more than I purchased it for new in 2014. It sold in a matter of days. lol

I totally agree! The headlights on the 5th Gen facelifted 4Runner (2014-current) are horrible. Even with them being projector halogens they are exceptionally dim. I installed Philips LED's in my fog lights and that dramatically helped, but without them on you could barely see a thing.

The backup camera was optional until Model Year 2018 when the U.S. DOT mandated that it must be factory installed on all new vehicles (2018-on).
I sold my 2012 Highlander to my daughter and after driving my X5 or my wife's Audi Q5 and then driving the HL again at night it's lights are like dangerously dim.
I looked into upgrading them myself for her. It very expensive because I would also have to wire in and add a transformer to each side . . . I've also read the after market LED's take a toll on your battery.

** Anyone know of a decent aftermarket LED install or Xenon kit for a 2012 toyota Highlander? ** And its the limited edition with not even Xenon . . . go figure.

**Are the LED's for the HL foglights you installed just swapping out and popping in the new LED bulb.? **

On the back up camera . . . I couldn't believe the 2016 X5 did not come with a back up camera as standard equipment or you had to pay like $1500 or 2000 for the next package up that year to get a camera for a $60,000 MSRP vehicle.
Luckily, since i bought mine used in feb/17 it had a camera and whatever that package upgrade was.. Otherwise, I would have passed since I trailer my boat.
I figured it would be mandated at some point as standard equipment.

The best part of a backup camera is it allows the assholes that use your bumper as a stop when parking to now see how close they are to your car instead of bouncing off your bumper.

Just shows you how dump the government is not to require backup camera on "all" cars. When I back out of my driveway I can clearly see something someone walking a dog or pushing a baby carriage across my driveway while talking on their phone, of course.

Last edited by expidia; 08-22-2017 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #59
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Thanks for all of your replies. The dealer has only moved about $500 off asking price so I respectfully thanked them for their time and moved on. It seems like a solid price but I have this complex when I buy a car where I want to feel like I'm "winning"

I wouldn't doubt if they contacted me this week and said we will meet your price. If I were a dealer, I would wait it out over the weekend to see if anyone buys and I'm only asking $1,500 under asking price. Not trying to seriously low ball or anything.

With that said, I'm not in a hurry and our second daughter isn't expected until December so I have a few months. I will keep looking until the right deal comes along and will definitely check back in when I decide to buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #60
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
I sold my 2012 Highlander to my daughter and after driving my X5 or my wife's Audi Q5 and then driving the HL again at night it's lights are like dangerously dim.
I looked into upgrading them myself for her. It very expensive because I would also have to wire in and add a transformer to each side . . . I've also read the after market LED's take a toll on your battery.

** Anyone know of a decent aftermarket LED install or Xenon kit for a 2012 toyota Highlander? ** And its the limited edition with not even Xenon . . . go figure.

**Are the LED's for the HL foglights you installed just swapping out and popping in the new LED bulb.? **

On the back up camera . . . I couldn't believe the 2016 X5 did not come with a back up camera as standard equipment or you had to pay like $1500 or 2000 for the next package up that year to get a camera for a $60,000 MSRP vehicle.
Luckily, since i bought mine used in feb/17 it had a camera and whatever that package upgrade was.. Otherwise, I would have passed since I trailer my boat.
I figured it would be mandated at some point as standard equipment.

The best part of a backup camera is it allows the assholes that use your bumpers as a stop when parking. . . now they get a beep instead of bouncing off your bumpers.

Just shows you how dump the government is not to require backup camera on "all" cars. When I back out of my driveway I can clearly see something someone walking a dog or pushing a baby carriage across my driveway
There are plenty of places that have the hid's for your vehicle just google it and you will find them.
Appreciate 1
expidia161.50
      08-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #61
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Morimoto makes a solid set of HIDs for a real good price. Ran their bulbs in my AMG for years and their full hid ballast/bulb set in my projector fogs.

5000k will give you perfect color/output ratio.

Highlander has never come with HIDs so don't feel bad. Even the brand new one is still halogen which is why we ultimately passed. Merely Principle for me that in 2017 you still are using Halogen you don't deserve my business.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 2
expidia161.50
deutsch1003741.00
      08-22-2017, 06:27 AM   #62
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
There are plenty of places that have the hid's for your vehicle just google it and you will find them.
Thx. I had googled it after I posted the led light kit question. The cost of LED's just like the bulbs for our houses, have dropped drastically in price.

Google came up with tint world which is a franchise. Just happens to be the same shop I had both our cars done with a clear bra and they used the same material for the door edge guards.

I'm having them install LED low beam kits in my Daughters two cars. Around $300 to 325 depending on the bulbs. I think the Highlander has projectors.

1 year warranty and I think the bulbs are either 30 or 50,000 bulb life hours.

Damn, now that I think of it I hope he was not quoting me $325 per side!

Update: checked back with them today. Quote was for both sides.

Last edited by expidia; 08-22-2017 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #63
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Duplicate post

Last edited by expidia; 08-22-2017 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #64
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Morimoto makes a solid set of HIDs for a real good price. Ran their bulbs in my AMG for years and their full hid ballast/bulb set in my projector fogs.

5000k will give you perfect color/output ratio.

Highlander has never come with HIDs so don't feel bad. Even the brand new one is still halogen which is why we ultimately passed. Merely Principle for me that in 2017 you still are using Halogen you don't deserve my business.
Same thing my son said who has a 2011 HL and I had the 2012. He's passing on getting another one, because of 2017 HID only. The new cars will only get away for a short time more getting a $1,500 upcharge like they wanted for his wife's new Mitsubishi last year, so he passed on the lights. Just like HID many brands were also upcharging for a back up camera, but many lesser brands came with it standard as will all 2018 models (which I read in a Bimmerpost thread). My wife's Audi Q5 Premium trim line came loaded with most features standard and for $10,000 less then a base BMW.

I'm seriously considering going with another Audi next time around, instead of dealing with the BMW upcharge package BS.

Last edited by expidia; 08-22-2017 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #65
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

I probably wouldn't. Given that I have an SUV in order to make lugging things/people around easier, the X5 has a couple of ergonomic shortcomings that get in the way of this goal.

1.) Tailgate setup is unnecessary and when combined with a high lift over height of the rear hatch in general, makes loading/unloading things into the back a pain in the butt.

2.) Entry/exit is quite awkward (especially with the running boards). I have yet to find a graceful way to enter/exit the car at 6'2" and my SO truly hates it at 5'4".

3.) Lack of charging outlets for rear seat passengers.

4.) AC is subpar - why have an auto AC unit that requires manual intervention in order to adequately cool things down?

5.) V8 reliability...I know it's been much improved and I haven't yet had any significant issues but I definitely don't think I'll be owning this car outside of warranty.

6.) Rear seat space is surprisingly tight. Granted that other cars with more space in the back tend to be longer than the X5, but length isn't a big deal to me...I'd rather have backseats that can seat 3 teenagers comfortably.

I'm not sure what I'd get but likely not the BMW. Probably something Japanese for the people hauler (they may be boring but they know ergonomics) and a fun german car on the side.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #66
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post

These are the LED fog lights I installed in my former fifth gen 4Runner. I also purchased them from the same company. http://www.xenondepot.com/h11-h8-h16...4unix2-h11.htm
Appreciate 1
expidia161.50