BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #45
x6spacegrey
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Garage List
2016 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Sorry to hear that it went out. I knew it would though.
Also, it's ridiculous that they don't replace both at the same time since they are supposed to be replaced in pairs.
Yeah it was a pain in the ass having to keep driving back and forth.... seems that BMW Canada is really trying to keep their costs down!
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      01-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #46
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x6spacegrey View Post
Quote:
Sorry to hear that it went out. I knew it would though.
Also, it's ridiculous that they don't replace both at the same time since they are supposed to be replaced in pairs.
Yeah it was a pain in the ass having to keep driving back and forth.... seems that BMW Canada is really trying to keep their costs down!
Yeah seems that way. I just finished doing them myself. I couldn't imagine paying the amount the dealership would want for the job.
Luckily you still had warranty, so these air springs should last for the remaining time you have the vehicle hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #47
x6spacegrey
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Garage List
2016 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah seems that way. I just finished doing them myself. I couldn't imagine paying the amount the dealership would want for the job.
Luckily you still had warranty, so these air springs should last for the remaining time you have the vehicle hopefully.
The funny thing is that I almost bought a RR sport instead of this X6, but one of the reasons I didn't was because I didn't want to deal with air suspension issues.

I was originally looking at a 2018 (non-Msport), and was told that it did not have air suspension. I had no idea my car has air suspension (although only in the rear) until I took delivery!
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      01-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #48
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x6spacegrey View Post
Quote:
The funny thing is that I almost bought a RR sport instead of this X6, but one of the reasons I didn't was because I didn't want to deal with air suspension issues.

I was originally looking at a 2018 (non-Msport), and was told that it did not have air suspension. I had no idea my car has air suspension (although only in the rear) until I took delivery!
Air suspension in theory is a great idea. There are just so many problems that happen. Leaky air spring, a leak in the lines or your compressor failing. Not sure if the good outweighs the bad lol
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #49
Bch06
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Got it working... After all I think Mr.47 was right... The system is "stupid" and only one the passenger's side level sensor engages the pump to inflate. So I manually adjusted passenger's sensor to the highest setting forcing it to deflate this side completely. Once it got low and in level with the drivers side I attached the sensor back to its original position, pump engaged and inflated BOTH sides equally to the normal level. So it looks like driver's side sensor just controls the valve for this side and the passenger's sensor controls both the valve and the pump. I'm not sure if it's designed like that and if my system operates correctly but I'm pretty sure both sensor are functional. Also both sensors are identical, same part number.
I wish somebody with air suspension could repeat my test to verify that driver's side sensor doesn't engage the pump...
Hi I’m struggling with the same issue as your, can you kindly advise me how you manually adjusted the sensor, did you just unscrewed the nut and moved the arm attached to the subframe of the car? Also if that’s what I need to do shall I also switch on the ignition?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #50
ashna_nagi@yahoo.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.5d

What is the solution ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Hey fellas, I left some light load in X5 locked for a few days and noticed that the driver's side is sagged. I have DHP, so my X5 is equipped with rear air struts. I tried few things with no luck:
1. Unlocking/relocking - the pump works for about 2-3 seconds and stops, level remains the same.
2. I tried driving very carefully and very short distance, no luck.
3. I tried leaving the car idling for 10-15 mins, no results.
4. Finally, I disconnected the level sensors (second picture) and adjusted it manually to force the pump to engage. The passenger side works fine, if I manually adjust the sensor’s arm I can either engage the pump (pump works) or release the air. But the driver’s side doesn’t respond to any adjustments. I also tried swapping the sensors, still passenger side works driver's side is dead.
I’m all out of ideas now and my warranty is expired. I will try disconnecting the battery for 24 hours and see if that works. Or check for blown fuse, but my understanding is that if fuse is blown both sides won’t work…

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 05:39 PM   #51
wmahmud
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

Name:  293D2087-B7E1-4366-8595-7B049BFC9849.jpeg
Views: 1520
Size:  446.2 KB

Name:  0C382B2A-3DD9-44F8-9489-B74BA16518F6.jpeg
Views: 1505
Size:  376.5 KB

Name:  666367B5-9F12-4C36-A5BE-46D0AB3376DC.jpeg
Views: 1534
Size:  407.5 KB

2016 x5d

Some times I see this, sometimes fine - passenger rear

As I start and drive its all fine

Do I need to be worried? And if its not all the time how do I raise this with BMW under CPO (powertrain only)
Attached Images

Last edited by wmahmud; 01-19-2021 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:41 PM   #52
TheMane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmahmud View Post

2016 x5d

Some times I see this, sometimes fine - passenger rear

As I start and drive its all fine

Do I need to be worried? And if its not all the time how do I raise this with BMW under CPO (powertrain only)
That's how mine started out-- only dropping once in a while, always rising back up once the engine started. It took about 6-8months from there (and a big drop in temperature) for it to begin happening consistently when the car was off, and then one day it couldn't fill back up at all.

I'd just go ahead and replace the air shocks if I were you. If you do what I did you run the risk of burning out the compressor, which is probably already starting to work overtime to compensate for your small leak.

Doubt replacing the air shocks is covered under powertrain warranty (it's not part of the powertrain), but luckily replacement is easy and the parts aren't too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #53
sydkyd02
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5 e70

Same Problem

Ive got the same problem. Drove mine from Cali back to Michigan last year without issue and since then its been sitting here dead for a year over inflated on the passenger side and sunk on the drivers side the next day. That and pouring oil from the alternator bracket gasket. I ended up just flying back and leaving it here for another time. Could someone hook me up with ista so I can deflate and get started at least?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 03:50 AM   #54
joekool
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 (F15)

Coil spring retrofit?

Hi everybody,

Sorry for the dead thread revival.

My 2015 X5 xdrive30d M Sport has also been displaying similar symptoms. Sometimes it will sag over night, and then other times it will remain level for 3 days . Sometimes it will sag on one side, and not the other, and then the opposite side will also sag alternately.

This leads me to believe that i have an issue besides leaking bags. From what i understand, the bags have their own circuits, and are only common at the valve block,vent valve and compressor.

I am exploring the option of converting to steel coil springs and ditching the air ride completely. I am aware that in the E70 chassis, this was quite common, and i am aware that many of the F15 suspension components are shared with the E70 chassis. I am planning on using E70 springs and spring seats and coding out the self leveling suspension.
Has this been done before, and what am i potentially opening myself up to?
My vehicle is optioned with VDC, will this make any difference to my intended conversion?
(flame suit on BTW)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 02:32 AM   #55
joekool
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 (F15)

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 09:44 PM   #56
TexVet
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / Lxus LX / M37 / L

Not sure what it costs to do on an X5, I can tell you an Lexus X470 with AHC doing the work yourself you are looking at $1K - $2K+ depending on what you put in to replace it (swapping in LC parts, or doing an aftermarket suspension). I just priced out all the parts for our 2015 X5 Xdrive M sport, and you could replace pump, bags, and sensors for less than $1K.

I wouldn't think it's worth it for a worst case 50K mile wear item like two bags.

Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 12:40 PM   #57
calvin220
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Great posts. I'm having this same issue now. Is the car safe to drive in this condition?
Appreciate 0