BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

06-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #89
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
530 whp on dynojet is more then 600 crank/ flywheel hp , especially on a awd / auto tranny vehicle. These vehicles to start with make more power then the claimed 445 crank hp, there underrated like many of BMW products.
Yeah, I agree! According to this wheel to crank calculator that takes into account AWD and automatic transmission it's about 643hp! https://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator4.php

For us to be considered a 700hp cars we need someone to put down proven dyno of 578awhp - I think it will happen sooner or later.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #90
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry8912 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Yes a tune will eat up your plugs and they will need to be changed to colder ones eventually. Folder ones will also need to be changed more often. Expect every 20-30k miles vice 60 or whatever the manual says. You're running high boost and this more energy in the piston which is going to wear down the plugs. And let's be honest. If you're gonna spend the money to add power. It's not to never go above 3k rpm. Otherwise why waste your money?!
Even under normal driving condition, it still eat up the plugs?? I'm stuck in stop and go traffic almost every workday, and only drive wot on weekends occasionally. I guess I'm wasting my money.... But life is short!!

Anyway, hope everything will hold up together...
No I was t saying you're wasting money if you CANT drive it above 3k. I said you are if you don't ever plan too!
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:07 AM   #91
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Dyno that AZTWW posted, done by 50i owner Stage 1 BM3 OTS map:
Is this on 91 or 93 gas? I did flash bm3 91 stage 1 today. All went thru, no misefire or anything.
The throttle is sharp, seriously, I can definitely feel more response under 2000rpm, which is pretty good for daily drive.
Only one thing, on my first drive, I can definitely tell the car pulls much harder. And then I got drivetrain malfunction message, I stop the car, clear codes, and restart the car. But somehow, my butt dyno didn’t feel that much of pull anymore, which is strange, because I did see the hp and torque goes over 530hp and 720nm on sport display, not sure if that was accurate though.
I’m too lazy to flash back to feel the difference. Will leave it there, and report back after several days......

Thanks all for ur help...
Cheers!

Last edited by perry8912; 07-01-2018 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 04:53 AM   #92
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

What were the codes?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #93
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBeau View Post
What were the codes?
I’m not sure. That was on the first start up. I use”online recode” to clear those drivetrain malfunction messages. I don’t know why I can’t feel the strong pulls like the first time, maybe my butt got used to it already?!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #94
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Let's all discuss N63TU related things here.

Easy mods available for N63TU so far:

1. Air filters swap. Either for X5M (14% more flow)- $100 for both oem X5M filters. Direct fit. Or some aftermarket intake.
2. Muffler delete mod. Mainly to unleash V8 sound. Also, saves a bit of weight 40lbs. My guess is it does make engine breath a bit better and maybe even gain a couple of hp?
3. Extra weight savings: swap stock oem battery to lightweight Deka. Saves another 35lbs. I'm driving on it already for 3 months and no issues. However, I am in AZ, so I can't guarantee how it will behave in colder states.
4. Seat removal and swap for a sport Recaro or Momo) or other lightweight brand). Rear seat - about 75lbs saving. Both front seats - about 150lbs saving. Good sport seat like Recaro weighs about 20lbs. So in total you can get about 200lbs savings. Yes, I know only 1% crazy enough will do it, but hey, I've done it. You can always go back easily.
5. Tune. This is biggest mod. Decide for yourself which one to get.
6. Downpipes - another 20-40whp on the table, but we need more info. Don't think anyone have done it yet on 50i on the forum.
7. Spark plugs from X5M or maybe NGK ones that are 1 step colder and need to gap them down to 0.6mm. There is a thread about it by Maverick.
8. Meth kit. Meth helps with cooling down IATs and boosting octane. For those in AZ where we only have 91 octane - it's a cheapest way to get "100 octane" equivalent and get cooler IATs - that will allow tune to get better ignition timing and possibly better boost. I'll post later my experience, as I'm most probably going to add meth kit soon.
Thanks for this. I'm getting a tune for sure, and I think I'll do the air filter swap. Can you send me a link? Lastly, how do you do the muffler delete? I know there's more sound to be had on my X6 50i but it's being muffled. I had an M6 before and an m4 before that and all I had to do was unplug the wire from the muffler and it would keep the valves open.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #95
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Numbers so far:

Stock X5M: 493rwhp 499rwtq (taken from here: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...38;postcount=4)

Stock X5: 366awhp 428awtq this is done on Mustang Dyno (so it reads lower than Dynojet, taken here from CT335xi: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1481608)
Stock X5: 352awhp, 390awtq - done on Mustang dyno by another member Rotzy on his 50i at stock: check his post here: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...;postcount=161

50i Stage 1 BPC: 485awhp 602awtq

50i Stage 1 BM3 OTS map: 532awhp 574awtq

50i RaceChip Ultimate Setting C: 400awhp, 437awtq - done by Rotzy on Mustang dyno: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...;postcount=161 (setting D showed a bit higher numbers, but Rotzy said power delivery wasn't good)

Let's not forget that AWD has additional loss in drivetrain - so numbers posted for 50i are awesome

P.S. as we'll add more dyno graphs - we will start to see a bigger picture. Some numbers are a bit outliers like that 532awhp on BM3 flash - but keep in mind we don't know what fuel owner used etc. For now we can work with this and as more data comes in - we will nail it down I hope.
Someone got 50i Stage 1 BM3 OTS map: 532awhp 574awtq with an X5 50i??? Wow! That's amazing. This is bootmod right by pro tuning freaks right? It's the $895 tune on their website?

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #96
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, Thanks for all these info. I'm not a handy man, so I probably will do all the maintenance work at dealer or indy shop.

Now, let me get this straight. After tune, I should change plugs and coils together every 30k miles or just plugs itself? Will it be okay if I just run stock plugs instead of 1 step colder? Other maintenance like oil change 5-8k miles, transmission, transfer case, and differential oil change every 60k miles. Fuel filter and coolant should be life time? And injectors, hpfp and waste-gate wont be an issue after the tune, right?

I'm a newbie with car modding, so please bear with me with dumb questions.
You can stay with your stock plugs (what's your mileage?), but if/when you'll get pinging/jerking at WOT - you might start getting misfires and maybe even infamous message "drive-train malfunction error...". In that case you'll need to diagnose car for error codes and most probably change plugs. Don't touch coils until they go bad or you have a specific cylinder misfiring even after you changed plugs. You can swap bad coil then (you don't have to change all 8). I would invest in either Bimmercode OBD device to read errors and be able to diagnose simple things at your convenience without having to go to dealer for every single issue. Even better if you can install e-sys, insta/rheingold (can be downloaded for free) - then you'l be able to do a lot of stuff yourself. Check coding threads.

I think 5-8k oil changes are fine (you can also just out of curiosity send your oil for analysis to blackstone labs - some people have done it and so far it looks like N63TU is holding very good, low chromium - so piston rings are excellent, etc). For the rest you need to follow maintenance schedule, but keep in mind you might want to be careful when going to dealer for maintenance: you'll need to flash back to stock at least (and possibly swap plugs to stock ones if you are going due to misfire, because if they will change plugs and see that you have X5M ones - you might get in trouble about warranty depending on the dealer). I would change ZF8 transmission every 60k for sure - because I don't believe in lifetime fluids and ZF itself recommends fluid/filter change. Fuel filter should be fine in US (gasoline quality is good). Coolant is a shady area - ideally you might want to change it at least at 100k. BMW coolant system is very good and tight, but coolant still looses it's qualities over time.
Wastegate is fine on X5 50i - we have quite reliable turbos - failures due to wastegate are very rare (I haven't seen one so far).

IMHO most important thing when you are tuned in 50i - is good fuel (91 octane sucks), good plugs/coils and timely oil changes. Everything else is not much different from any other car. If you live in hot climate like AZ or FL - I would think about either getting a E85 tune or installing a meth kit for cooling.

There are also some other things available to prolong engine life like a cooler thermostat swap (the one that opens earlier and keeps lower temps) and/or downpipes - that will reduce exhaust temps that stock cats (catalytic converters) that are creating 1400F right in the middle of engine and slowly frying everything in engine: hoses become brittle, gaskets may leak, valve stems loose elasticity etc. However, downpipes will cause emission issues so it's not that popular, at least in US/Canada and especially for X5 50i - that is usually a family car for majority.

In sum, just follow common sense, research and think twice before committing to some expensive mods, do timely maintenance and you should be fine in the long run.
Do you know how I can change my filter with the x5m air filter? Would that really make any difference? Is it easy to do myself?

Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #97
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Do you know how I can change my filter with the x5m air filter? Would that really make any difference? Is it easy to do myself?
Takes about 5 minutes
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #98
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Delete
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #99
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBeau View Post
What were the codes?
I'm not sure. That was on the first start up. I use"online recode" to clear those drivetrain malfunction messages. I don't know why I can't feel the strong pulls like the first time, maybe my butt got used to it already?!
Plug in and read codes again
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #100
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey, I added links to the very first post - to threads with pics for x5m air filter swap. Here's one of them: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=48
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #101
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Someone got 50i Stage 1 BM3 OTS map: 532awhp 574awtq with an X5 50i??? Wow! That's amazing. This is bootmod right by pro tuning freaks right? It's the $895 tune on their website?
Yes, I believe so. The price is for license and if I'm not mistaken 1 free OTS map comes with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #102
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this. I'm getting a tune for sure, and I think I'll do the air filter swap. Can you send me a link? Lastly, how do you do the muffler delete? I know there's more sound to be had on my X6 50i but it's being muffled. I had an M6 before and an m4 before that and all I had to do was unplug the wire from the muffler and it would keep the valves open.
The sound of V8 is VERY muffled by stock muffler. Muffler delete mod is very popular and it is a good mod. I can't see myself going back to stock muffler after that. http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5m+air+filters
You need to scroll to the page where you can see forum members finally did it and recorded videos with sound. There's also a picture with arrow notes - showing what exactly to do, I don't remember on what page, but it's there.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #103
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey, I added links to the very first post - to threads with pics for x5m air filter swap. Here's one of them: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8;postcount=48
Thanks! What did you notice?

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #104
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The sound of V8 is VERY muffled by stock muffler. Muffler delete mod is very popular and it is a good mod. I can't see myself going back to stock muffler after that. http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5m+air+filters
You need to scroll to the page where you can see forum members finally did it and recorded videos with sound. There's also a picture with arrow notes - showing what exactly to do, I don't remember on what page, but it's there.
Trying to find it. I think I have to cut the pipe?

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #105
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Trying to find it. I think I have to cut the pipe?
Here it is:
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=200
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #106
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! What did you notice?
I noticed that it pulls a bit harder, probably 0.1-0.2sec gains to 0-100 pulls but it's only noticeable if you have a tune. On stock car it won't matter as stock DME is limiting power on high rpms.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #107
Doberman16
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport

Quote:
Dyno that AZTWW posted, done by 50i owner Stage 1 BM3 OTS map:
This is my dyno sheet. DuSh, I'm not positive how this ended up here! Lol. But cool either way.

perry8912 I'm running OEM X5M Filters and 93 octane.

My fastest 1/4 was about 12.34 @ 112mph, iirc. Can upload sheets later tonight if you want em. I think my car has more in it after the plugs are changed because I am sometimes going into limp mode in the 1/4mi. I assume this to be a misfire and decided to diagnose it if it continues to happen under new plugs since I need them either way.
Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
perry8912101.00
      07-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #108
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberman16 View Post
This is my dyno sheet. DuSh, I'm not positive how this ended up here! Lol. But cool either way.

My fastest 1/4 was about 12.34 @ 112mph, iirc. Can upload sheets later tonight if you want em. I think my car has more in it after the plugs are changed because I am sometimes going into limp mode in the 1/4mi. I assume this to be a misfire and decided to diagnose it if it continues to happen under new plugs since I need them either way.
Hey Doberman, thanks for clarifying! Let us know if you want to remove it - we can always do it. It's actually highest whp dyno so far man! We would love to see anything you can upload. I appreciate! Also, keep us posted with your limp mode and if you'll be able to get rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #109
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberman16 View Post

Because we were talking about the tune on BM3 FB page and I was going to contact you to talk about it here I posted it here for everyone to see.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-02-2018, 07:24 PM   #110
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

So I'm not sure if I already posted it here, apologies if I did. It looks like 700lbft torque to the wheels is the limit after which rods start to bend on N63TU/S63TU. Currently we are at the 600wtq with tune so far. So we have extra 100wtq to play with (not that it's easy to gain). Trick is to raise whp without raising wtq much. 530whp is so far best we got on 93 octane. A good tune for E40 fuel and/or meth kit may help to push it a bit further. Maybe 100 octane race gas can squeeze extra 20whp? I can see N63TU with a good fuel reaching 550-570whp and probably about 600-640wtq.
After that we either need to swap 3.5bar tmap sensors (instead our 2.5bar stock ones) and that will require a custom tune with remapped tables to take usage of signal above 21psi. Maybe going up to 24-25psi. After that stock turbos will be declining probably due to heat. Next step could be upgrading turbos that can provide more easy whp while keeping torque under 700lbft. After that, there is only rod/pistons/sleeves upgrade to push it past 700lbft safely without bending rod. However, that is very expensive custom work. Besides I'm not sure if at that point stock fueling system will be enough or not.

Anyway, for me first I would like to reach 550whp number with e40 tune. I'll probably buy BM3 and then see what tuner to go with custom tune.
This is all just my opinion guys.
Appreciate 0