BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
NYC X6M
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X6M

So yesterday morning, something I never thought or would expect happened. After doing some errands the night before, I pull up to my driveway and park my car in the garage as usual. Nothing strange happened and the car performed normal with no problems. I've had the car, my 2016 X6M for three years now with only minor issues such as wheel bearing clicking and squeaking brakes. Other than that the car performs great. Actually my lease is due to end this November. In the morning, I decide to pull the car out and give it a hand wash. I try to start the car up and nothing happens. I try again and the car quickly fills with fine smoke and a smell of something burning. I jump out the car and notice the smoke is coming from the rear end. I then open the trunk to inspect and then I discovered that there is something burning in it! I open the hatch that hides the spare and there are exposed wires that are literally burning and melting. With fear of my car catching on fire and most importantly burning my house down, I grab the bucket filled half way with soap and water and dump it to put the smoke out. After further inspection I noticed burned plastic and exposed metal and melted wiring. Could this be the rear battery? What could have caused this to happen? I've never experienced anything like this at all. The car has no aftermarket mods and nothing was in the trunk.

The car wouldn't start and there was no electrical power what so ever. I called bmw roadside and they dispatched a flat bed tow. We could not get the car to go into neutral. The only way was to put it on skates and pull it up the flatbed and drive it to my nearest bmw service center. The car is there now and I'm waiting for a call back to see what the issue is. Has anyone ever heard of or experienced something like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
dorian
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5//M

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Pretty scary. Glad no one got hurt. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 1
NYC X6M50.50
      10-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
NYC X6M
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian View Post
Did this happen to you? Also what exactly is that silver piece in the middle?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Sorry to hear about this, glad that you got out ok.

Here is a link to a story about a F85 that caught fire in a similar area, X5M up in flames.

I know that you said no mods, maybe the dealer swapped the battery during a service. I would check your service records and every detail of every service. Good luck, I hope you can figure it out and follow up on here for future events.
Appreciate 1
NYC X6M50.50
      10-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
dorian
Private
Rep

This did not happen to me.

It seems to be called a "voltage converter". Here is the part:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...bC12OC1nYXM%3D
Appreciate 1
NYC X6M50.50
      10-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Wow, that was a close call.
I hope no one gets hurt.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
NYC X6M50.50
      10-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #8
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Scary for sure! Glad you're ok & kept the damage to a minimum. Good luck & keep us posted. Makes me wanna pull off the cover & look for signs of damage or over heating.
Appreciate 1
NYC X6M50.50
      10-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

glad to hear your okay. reading your story and the one in the link makes me want to get this. we would need a way to break the glass

https://www.getcrashsafe.com/?gclid=...xoCfVUQAvD_BwE

Appreciate 1
NYC X6M50.50
      10-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

You did the right thing, although it makes me need to buy a few fire extinguishers comes to think of it.

Keep us posted on what the dealership says. You're still under warranty, I assume? If so, at least you have nothing to worry about, especially since it's a lease.

Keep the VIN around, and track it. Will be surprised to see what BMW will decide to do with it, and if it will have a dirty Carfax.
Appreciate 2
Violator4587.50
NYC X6M50.50
      10-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #11
NYC X6M
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Wow, that was a close call.
I hope no one gets hurt.
Quote:
This did not happen to me.

It seems to be called a "voltage converter". Here is the part:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...bC12OC1nYXM%3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Scary for sure! Glad you're ok & kept the damage to a minimum. Good luck & keep us posted. Makes me wanna pull off the cover & look for signs of damage or over heating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
glad to hear your okay. reading your story and the one in the link makes me want to get this. we would need a way to break the glass

https://www.getcrashsafe.com/?gclid=...xoCfVUQAvD_BwE

[IMG]https://www.getcrashsafe.com/resourc...r-features.png[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
You did the right thing, although it makes me need to buy a few fire extinguishers comes to think of it.

Keep us posted on what the dealership says. You're still under warranty, I assume? If so, at least you have nothing to worry about, especially since it's a lease.

Keep the VIN around, and track it. Will be surprised to see what BMW will decide to do with it, and if it will have a dirty Carfax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Pretty scary. Glad no one got hurt. Keep us posted.
Thanks for all the replies fellas. It definitely was a scary thing to experience. We never expect things like this to happen since these cars are so new but after all they are just that, cars. Anything can go wrong at any given moment. The car is currently at the dealership and I'm awaiting a call from them. It is still under warranty so that gives me some piece of mind. These tools that some of you have posted look very handy to have. I might have to invest in a few for mine and my wife's car. I will keep everyone posted as I am very curious myself as to what happened.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #12
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

I have a feeling that you’ll disappear from this post/the forums when they make you an offer. That seems to happen more often than not in these events.
“Heatncool” is one example, and there are others on this forum.
Hope to hear about the cause and proper closure for you.
Cheers
Appreciate 1
P111573.50
      10-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #13
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

It's an electrical fire obviously, question is why happened. My guess is something failed (relay or some high voltage converter, or loose wires got crossed or positive wire grounded out somehow.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #14
dorian
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
It's an electrical fire obviously, question is why happened. My guess is something failed (relay or some high voltage converter, or loose wires got crossed or positive wire grounded out somehow.
From the photos is really looks like a connector to the high voltage converter shorted out.

Unsure how easy it is to access that area....but maybe worth checking.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #15
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Holy Sh!t...WTF happened?!?
Glad you are okay! Yes, please keep us posted on the outcome/cause
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #16
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Glad you are OK. How many miles on the vehicle? Did you ever get the battery changed?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #17
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
From the photos is really looks like a connector to the high voltage converter shorted out.

It's easy. Lift up the upper cover & remove 5-6 8mm screws.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #18
NYC X6M
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Glad you are OK. How many miles on the vehicle? Did you ever get the battery changed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
Holy Sh!t...WTF happened?!?
Glad you are okay! Yes, please keep us posted on the outcome/cause
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I have a feeling that you'll disappear from this post/the forums when they make you an offer. That seems to happen more often than not in these events.
"Heatncool" is one example, and there are others on this forum.
Hope to hear about the cause and proper closure for you.
Cheers
The car is very well kept and was stored in my garage. I've never had any major issues with it other than this. It has approximately 24,000 miles. It was my daily driven car. BMW North America contacted me today and said they would have to fly someone out and inspect the car. It can take about 6-8 weeks for this to happen. My car is due for lease return this November. I'm not sure what would happen now. They say that a loaner car will be provided for me while my car is waiting for inspection. I don't intend to disappear or what ever that guy above is saying. Things like this happen when you don't expect them to. I never asked for this to happen. This is my first BMW and am sad that I won't have my car for the last month remaining with it. I won't get to have any final rides or photos with the car for memories. What do you guys recommend I do now? Is it just a waiting game from now on until everything gets sorted out?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #19
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

6-8 wks sounds like a bunch of BS. They are probably just stalling to have your lease run out. I'd play hardball and tell them you had ever intention of buying the car at lease end. This being the month before your lease expires, you should have already paid your last payment. Ask for that back and buyers assistance on a new lease, assuming you were planning on getting into another BMW lease before this happened.
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #20
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC X6M View Post
The car is very well kept and was stored in my garage. I've never had any major issues with it other than this. It has approximately 24,000 miles. It was my daily driven car. BMW North America contacted me today and said they would have to fly someone out and inspect the car. It can take about 6-8 weeks for this to happen. My car is due for lease return this November. I'm not sure what would happen now. They say that a loaner car will be provided for me while my car is waiting for inspection. I don't intend to disappear or what ever that guy above is saying. Things like this happen when you don't expect them to. I never asked for this to happen. This is my first BMW and am sad that I won't have my car for the last month remaining with it. I won't get to have any final rides or photos with the car for memories. What do you guys recommend I do now? Is it just a waiting game from now on until everything gets sorted out?
What were your intensions after the lease return? I'm sure you can ask for compensation without getting a lawyer involved. Whatever's fair to you or what would make you satisfied and right. Best of luck to you!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #21
NYC X6M
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
6-8 wks sounds like a bunch of BS. They are probably just stalling to have your lease run out. I'd play hardball and tell them you had ever intention of buying the car at lease end. This being the month before your lease expires, you should have already paid your last payment. Ask for that back and buyers assistance on a new lease, assuming you were planning on getting into another BMW lease before this happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:
What were your intensions after the lease return? I'm sure you can ask for compensation without getting a lawyer involved. Whatever's fair to you or what would make you satisfied and right. Best of luck to you!
In all seriousness, I actually was planning to buy the car after the lease was up. I would of kept it for my wife and now I'm honestly having second thoughts. I've never been through anything like this before. I don't even know where to start. Would it be wise to get a lawyer involved or just wait?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #22
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
In all seriousness, I actually was planning to buy the car after the lease was up. I would of kept it for my wife and now I'm honestly having second thoughts. I've never been through anything like this before. I don't even know where to start. Would it be wise to get a lawyer involved or just wait?
Yes, you do have a bit of a dilemma in deciding whether to purchase now. However, this vehicle is still covered by BMW 100%, since it's a 'bumper to bumper' type factory warranty. Perhaps BMWFS can extend your lease while you decide? I would wait to hear the outcome of the official inspection before going further with litigation and hopefully no out-of-pocket expenses or other gotchas.
Appreciate 0